Was 2-1 wasn't it ?pieguy wrote:barrow got beat 3-1![]()
Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
-
Barrowabc
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2203
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:14 am
- Location: Newbarns lodge
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8347
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Nuneaton deserved the points? They were a terrible side and if we'd score a second goal (keeper made two good saves) we'd have surely won it!
The subs were the wrong decision but almost from as soon as we scored we were far too negative, we were sitting back with men behind the ball with 30mins to go as if they were 5mins to go instead of attacking and trying to create another goal.
Can see why Bayliss blamed Hurst, the goal was yet again a shocker from a set piece. There wasn't many out there who seemed up for the fight but I was impressed with Sodje and Danny L Rowe (both loanees!) Was a relatively good crowd yesterday as well but I fear many won't be back anytime soon
The subs were the wrong decision but almost from as soon as we scored we were far too negative, we were sitting back with men behind the ball with 30mins to go as if they were 5mins to go instead of attacking and trying to create another goal.
Can see why Bayliss blamed Hurst, the goal was yet again a shocker from a set piece. There wasn't many out there who seemed up for the fight but I was impressed with Sodje and Danny L Rowe (both loanees!) Was a relatively good crowd yesterday as well but I fear many won't be back anytime soon
- bobbie moore
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 848
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Nuneaton a terrible side? So what are we then?Give them credit they upt their game much quicker and played for each other.Wish we could we are a team of individuals who dont/wont play together
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Henney’s Knee (above) - - - your post may well be referring back to my earlier post when I said Nuneaton deserved the points.
I said this not because Nuneaton were a good side, in fact they were poor as I also mentioned in my post. I said they deserved it because they had a right go and took the game to us from the moment we took the lead. A case of fortune favouring the brave, as I hinted at in my post. No, they were certainly not good, they were weak, but they did dominate the game after we took the lead. What sore of outfit are we that, having seized the upper hand, we immediately surrendered the initiative and handed it to them for the rest of the match?
I cannot fathom our lack of moral courage, our stupidity. Why did we take a back seat after scoring? Was it because Nuneaton overwhelmed us by virtue of being a better side? No, as mentioned, they were poor and there for the taking. So I assume we relaxed and thought we could sit and defend a one goal lead. And if that is the case it is a breathtaking approach, given our defensive uselessness and the almost cast-iron guarantee that we will leak giveaway goals. Is there a single brain cell in the whole of our playing / management set-up?
I agree with comments above that our midfield was also useless; Nuneaton just waltzed through that area.
Having seen yesterday I would suggest Nuneaton will go down because they looked a poor side but perhaps to their credit they will attack and go down fighting? We don’t seem to have the courage or the sense to realise we need to adopt the old saying of attack being the best form of defence - - especially when the defence (and midfield) resembles the Marie Celeste.
I said this not because Nuneaton were a good side, in fact they were poor as I also mentioned in my post. I said they deserved it because they had a right go and took the game to us from the moment we took the lead. A case of fortune favouring the brave, as I hinted at in my post. No, they were certainly not good, they were weak, but they did dominate the game after we took the lead. What sore of outfit are we that, having seized the upper hand, we immediately surrendered the initiative and handed it to them for the rest of the match?
I cannot fathom our lack of moral courage, our stupidity. Why did we take a back seat after scoring? Was it because Nuneaton overwhelmed us by virtue of being a better side? No, as mentioned, they were poor and there for the taking. So I assume we relaxed and thought we could sit and defend a one goal lead. And if that is the case it is a breathtaking approach, given our defensive uselessness and the almost cast-iron guarantee that we will leak giveaway goals. Is there a single brain cell in the whole of our playing / management set-up?
I agree with comments above that our midfield was also useless; Nuneaton just waltzed through that area.
Having seen yesterday I would suggest Nuneaton will go down because they looked a poor side but perhaps to their credit they will attack and go down fighting? We don’t seem to have the courage or the sense to realise we need to adopt the old saying of attack being the best form of defence - - especially when the defence (and midfield) resembles the Marie Celeste.
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Yes.bobbie moore wrote:Nuneaton a terrible side? So what are we then?
Worse, seemingly.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer
- Nigel Bamford
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2700
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
- Location: Between here and gone
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
He did say Hurst is a top class 'keeper - it just got lost in the number of times he said it was the 'keeper's fault.barrowfan wrote:Excellent point. Shame Bayliss didn't mention that in his RC interview!1AFC wrote:
He was to blame, but first half made a world class save. Swings roundabouts. Life of a goalkeeper
It all comes 'round again.
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
And the other 'difference between then and now' is that this league is a hell of a lot stronger than it was then.Moonwatcher wrote:Anybody who was around in 1999 will remember that we survived (on points at least) against all the odds, and were in a much deeper hole than we are now. What's more, we did it with a makeshift team that consisted of local kids, a couple of experienced, steady old pros....and a very young Paul Jones, who even as a teenager showed exceptional spirit and devotion to the cause. The difference between then and now is that back then the management team (Shane Westley and John Beck) knew how to get players to play above themselves, grind out results and do the basics right. They certainly weren't pretty to watch, but they got the job done....only for the club to be relegated anyway on financial grounds. The really frustrating thing about the current team is that they have shown on occasion they can grind out results (Luton, Newport) but can't seem to do it on a regular basis.
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
I am not being funny but,"freeze out those who dare to question him".Where did you get this from and just when and what is it based on ?.Ziggerzagger wrote:The word nepotism springs to mind Dave C,unfortunately a lot of Bayles decisions this year wernt football or tactically orientated,"jobs for the boys" and freeze out those who dare to question him.Time for a change and a chance to rebuild.
-
Richard Ingham
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5118
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Chorley
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
If Hurst wants to punch everything then get in a boxing ring man.
When did goalkeepers stop being taught to CATCH a cross?
When did goalkeepers stop being taught to CATCH a cross?
- Moonwatcher
- Senior Member
- Posts: 380
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
I agree to a point. Certainly the top five, arguably the top half, of the Conference is indeed a lot stronger than it was back then, but the bottom half?....I'm not convinced it's any better. Perhaps having four relegation places makes it harder to survive, but I don't see anything to convince me the strength of teams in the basement is any better than in previous decades.mally wrote:And the other 'difference between then and now' is that this league is a hell of a lot stronger than it was then.Moonwatcher wrote:Anybody who was around in 1999 will remember that we survived (on points at least) against all the odds, and were in a much deeper hole than we are now. What's more, we did it with a makeshift team that consisted of local kids, a couple of experienced, steady old pros....and a very young Paul Jones, who even as a teenager showed exceptional spirit and devotion to the cause. The difference between then and now is that back then the management team (Shane Westley and John Beck) knew how to get players to play above themselves, grind out results and do the basics right. They certainly weren't pretty to watch, but they got the job done....only for the club to be relegated anyway on financial grounds. The really frustrating thing about the current team is that they have shown on occasion they can grind out results (Luton, Newport) but can't seem to do it on a regular basis.
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
Probably when you wake up in a hospital darn sarf having been clattered unconscious ! Still surprised he doesn' t try a Cech style helmet.Richard Ingham wrote:If Hurst wants to punch everything then get in a boxing ring man.
When did goalkeepers stop being taught to CATCH a cross?
- bobbie moore
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 848
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
I spoke to Danny prior to the game and he told me his shoulder was still sore at times,so maybe contributing to mistake

- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9885
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
When walking back to the car on Saturday I swear on it, I really did feel sick, I got home & the wife asked (as she normally does) "how'd they get on" more out of politness than interest.
It felt like she was taking the [SwearFilter], it really felt like she knew what had just happened (she never) I looked at her & said "seriously Jen, I don't want to talk about it" She's obviously not that interested in the footy that she went to find out the score but she must've known it was bad because she never mentioned it again till Sunday morning.....it was only then I felt able to speak about what had happened, & and all without counselling!
The joy's of following Barrow AFC!!!
It felt like she was taking the [SwearFilter], it really felt like she knew what had just happened (she never) I looked at her & said "seriously Jen, I don't want to talk about it" She's obviously not that interested in the footy that she went to find out the score but she must've known it was bad because she never mentioned it again till Sunday morning.....it was only then I felt able to speak about what had happened, & and all without counselling!
The joy's of following Barrow AFC!!!
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: Barrow v Nuneaton match thread
It's been one of those days. Sum up the Monday morning comments you've heard. The coments from the one's just waiting for us to fall down so they can nonchalantly sniff and be self-satisfied they have not invested any of their time or money in supporting us.
"They're going down Johnny"
"Nuneaton? NUNEATON BOROUGH"?" (Don't bother correcting)
"What's happened there then?"
grrrrrrrr!!!
"They're going down Johnny"
"Nuneaton? NUNEATON BOROUGH"?" (Don't bother correcting)
"What's happened there then?"
grrrrrrrr!!!
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests