One for the oldies!

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts: 8194
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Costa Del Barrow
Contact:

One for the oldies!

Post by Ste Story » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Phizzer has asked me to post this photo on here to see how many of the faces you can recognise.

I believe it was taken around the 1961/62 season at the Holker St end!
Attachments
IMG-20150608-WA0000-1.jpg
IMG-20150608-WA0000-1.jpg (426.75 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
:scarf:
Ste Story | Professional Website & Graphic Design in Barrow - www.stephenstory.co.uk

Arvo
Gold Member
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Arvo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:07 pm

It's later than 61-62, because two of the three goalkeepers look to me like Lance Millard (third row from back) and Lionel Duffin (second row), and the last player on the third row I think is Dave Storf so that would date it around 1966-68. Others I recognise are:
Malcolm Edwards (second on second back row)
Keith Eddy (standing next to Dave Storf)
Jimmy Mallon (sp?) (first player on front row)
Bobby Tait (to left of the chairman in the centre of the front row)
I think the first player on the third row is Bob Knox.
No bubblewrap unpopped.

User avatar
Steelworks End
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Steelworks End » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 pm

The photo appears in "Barrow AFC - The First 100 Years" which shows it as the 1964-65 season. The players are as Arvo states, except that it is David Worthington (not Storf) and Ray Brennan (not Mallon).

Captain Tommy Cahill is on the centre of the front row, and Manager Don McEvoy front end right.

I won't say how many players I recognise, because it gives that information in the book! :)

The photo is in front of the old Grandstand, at the end nearest Hindpool; there is an exit gate on the left, whereas there was a solid wall at the end of the Steelworks terrace.
Last edited by Steelworks End on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supporter for life
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by supporter for life » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:49 pm

[SwearFilter] Robinson is 2nd from left on third row from back. It must be later than 61-62 as [SwearFilter] was playing then. Later he became a trainer for the team, hence the tracksuit.
Would that be Brian Arrowsmith 2nd from right on 2nd row from back? Just noticed Don McEvoy on front row extreme right. He played in the early sixties too and became manager in the later years. He was manager, I think, when we were promoted to the third after which he left to manage Halifax and was replaced by Colin Appleton. Happy days!

supporter for life
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by supporter for life » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Instead of [SwearFilter] replace with Richard, censored!!! Steelworks end is right, there is no sign of George Smith who played in the promotion team.

User avatar
Jim
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7266
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:59 pm

I see both Knox boys are there, Bob and Mike(?). Who is third in from the left of third row back (next to Malcolm Edwards) - it looks like a lad from Barrow Grammar School but I can't think of his name.

SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by SKIPPER » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Jim wrote:I see both Knox boys are there, Bob and Mike(?). Who is third in from the left of third row back (next to Malcolm Edwards) - it looks like a lad from Barrow Grammar School but I can't think of his name.
Roger Coutts ?

ant
Gold Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:48 pm
Location: Popular side
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by ant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:34 pm

left of lionel duffin..Roy mcCarthy? left of Malcolm Edwards looks like jimmy mulholland? 5th from left front row..Ron Mcgarry?
Seasons to be cheerful.Part 16 3/4 :skill:

Hadrian
Platinum Member
Posts: 4752
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Hadrian » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Yes, Roger Coutts.

Looks like Holker Street end as stated - main stand higher than that and the Hoopworks would have been visible to the left. Telegraph pole on railway embankment behind gate.
THE NORTHERN WAY

SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by SKIPPER » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Might be wrong with a few but here goes. Back row second right is Maurice Kendall. second row far left is local estate agent Ronnie Stephenson and the blonde lad on the other end of the row next to Brian Arrowsmith is Alec(?) Murray .Next to Bobby Knox on the third row is the legendary Eric Harrison later to find fame as the coach of the Class of '92.On the same row the tall lad between Millard and Eddy I think is David Holder. Next to Worthington is Billy Gordon (Kennys dad) who was on the coaching staff. I think the player on the far right of the front row was Don Watson. One thing that does strike me is the number of locals

GTBLUE
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by GTBLUE » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Just how many people in suits are there. I can remember Lionel Duffin playing in local football when I started, as well as for Barrow. Small for a keeper it was deemed back then, but he had great speed off his line and amazing courage. Also, not a single pair of stupid, sickly, flourescent boots. Happy days.

User avatar
Nigel Bamford
Platinum Member
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Between here and gone
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Nigel Bamford » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Wilf Livingstone 4th left, front row?
It all comes 'round again.

Arvo
Gold Member
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Arvo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Arvo wrote:It's later than 61-62, because two of the three goalkeepers look to me like Lance Millard (third row from back) and Lionel Duffin (second row), and the last player on the third row I think is Dave Storf so that would date it around 1966-68...
Steelworks End wrote:The photo appears in "Barrow AFC - The First 100 Years" which shows it as the 1964-65 season. The players are as Arvo states, except that it is David Worthington (not Storf) and Ray Brennan (not Mallon)
Thanks John, should have realised it wasn't as late as '68. The legendary Fred Else was of course goalie then. The shirts are also a bit of a giveaway that it's not 66-68. Those 'v' necks would have been totally out of fashion by then. It looks like the 'reserves' might be wearing the previous season's 'v' necks and the first team the new trendy roundnecks. It was Worthington's resemblance to Dave Storf (or at least my recollection of how I think Dave Storf looked) that threw me.

Did think that the last player on the front row might be Brian Pilkington, but am thinking now he wouldn't have been here in 64-65.
No bubblewrap unpopped.

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by Suffolk Blue » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

My parents took me to my first game in 64-65. I'm sure it was either Millwall or Barnsley at home. I think we conceded 5 in each game so I cant be sure which. Only that I cried my eyes out. The rest is history.

Am I correct in saying that the 64-65 season was one of the worst in our history? Strange really since the core of our promotion wining side can be seen within this picture. Just waiting for Else, Smith and Mulholland to make it a really good side. Perhaps I should add Tony Field to that group since I don't see him in the picture either.

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: One for the oldies!

Post by russell_anderson » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Jim wrote:I see both Knox boys are there, Bob and Mike(?). Who is third in from the left of third row back (next to Malcolm Edwards) - it looks like a lad from Barrow Grammar School but I can't think of his name.
Yes, that's Roger Coutts. I played in the same Barrow Grammar School team as Roger and Keith Eddy which got to the last 8 (or last 4 - can't remember which) of the Lancashire Schools U15 competition. Roger was an excellent right winger with lots of skill and followed an old winger from Barrow Grammar in Jackie Maddison. I'm pretty sure the lad top left is another good Barrow Grammar player although a couple of years older than Roger and Keith called Kevin Morrall.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests