Fred Else

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by SKIPPER » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:34 am

Sad news indeed. Fred was the final frontier behind a solid back four which allowed the likes of Mick Hartland and Jimmy Mulhiolland to weave their magic withot this modern day 'tracking back'.Oft used term but he was undoubtedly the best goalkeeper never to play for England. Many years after his retirement I went to my daughters' parents evening and met her English teacher Mr Else never for one minute putting two and two together. On realising who it was I was gobsmacked and sheepishly admit to a moment of 'schoolboy idolatry'. It just showed that he was able to seamlessly slip into a second career without any fuss or fanfare. Such a modest man. And yes my daughter still remembers him with fondness 25 or so years on.

User avatar
frankums
Senior Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: St Ives | England
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by frankums » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am

Absolute legend. Saw Fred a few times when I was a nipper and it was his name and performances that stuck in my mind. RIP.
Cambridge branch

User avatar
geoffpayne
Senior Member
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:46 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by geoffpayne » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Legend is often an over used term but not on this occasion:
Fred Else is a Barrow AFC Legend

Often heard - " no problem , Fred's got it covered or you'll never beat Fred from out there!"
His positioning sense was truly amazing .
A sad day in the history of BAFC but blessed that we enjoyed his remarkable talents and equally a true gentleman , from which many can learn from.

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by barrowfan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Good idea from John Earnshaw on Facebook. Cover the Holker Street end and name it The Fred Else Stand.

Lancaster Branch
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by Lancaster Branch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:49 pm

No point if we're knocking the whole thing down and starting again in a few years...but I do think that there should be a place for remembering our history in the new development. Whether that's naming stands, bars, corporate boxes etc after our legends or somesuch.

User avatar
Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts: 8194
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Costa Del Barrow
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by Ste Story » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Lancaster Branch wrote:No point if we're knocking the whole thing down and starting again in a few years...but I do think that there should be a place for remembering our history in the new development. Whether that's naming stands, bars, corporate boxes etc after our legends or somesuch.
This time in 50 years we'll have the Newby Terrace x
:scarf:
Ste Story | Professional Website & Graphic Design in Barrow - www.stephenstory.co.uk

pjdaly
Gold Member
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by pjdaly » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Here’s a little tale that chills me somewhat and relates to Fred and also another top footballer:

In April 2008 the Emlyn Hughes statue was unveiled. Fred Else was there as an observer. Also there was Brian Hall, representing Liverpool Football Club and a former team-mate of Emlyn’s. Brian played for Liverpool from the late 60’s to the mid 70’s, winning two League titles, two UEFA cups and one FA Cup. Brian was known as “Little Bamber” and his team-mate, Steve Heighway, was “Big Bamber”. These nicknames arose from the fact that they both had university degrees and the TV programme University Challenge was chaired by one Bamber Gascoigne. Brian actually played against Barrow twice at Holker Street; once was in a pre-season friendly in August 1969 when he was in Liverpool reserves and before he had broken into the first team. Then, in the twilight of his career he turned out for Northwich Vics in 1981.

At the unveiling, Fred went up to have a chat with Brian and introduced himself. I was amused by Brian’s astonishment. “Fred Else? I can’t believe it” was the tone of the greeting! Brian lived in Preston and knew the legend of Fred Else only too well, but clearly didn’t expect to bump into him in Barrow that day.

I tend to squirm at the cliché “he was a true gentleman” after someone has died; it seems these days that every bloke who ever lived and died just happened to be a “true gentleman”. The difficulty here for me though is that it is probably true in the case of these two. Certainly I can vouch that it is true of Brian Hall; in the case of Fred, despite watching him with no small amount of hero-worship through his years at Barrow from behind the Holker Street wall, I did not personally know him and I have only the words of others about his true human nature. However, I can readily believe that he was the immensely decent individual that others have confirmed him to be from the way he carried himself and conducted himself.

Why the chills that I mentioned at the start? Brian Hall passed away on 16th July at the relatively young age of 68. Fred passed away on the 20th July.

Whenever I go past that Emlyn Hughes statue I think about the day those two footballing greats met there. From now, I will also think about the fact that they left this world within a few short days of each other.

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by barrowfan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Nice post pj

geobarrovian
Senior Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by geobarrovian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:07 pm

pjdaly wrote:Here’s a little tale that chills me somewhat and relates to Fred and also another top footballer:

In April 2008 the Emlyn Hughes statue was unveiled. Fred Else was there as an observer. Also there was Brian Hall, representing Liverpool Football Club and a former team-mate of Emlyn’s. Brian played for Liverpool from the late 60’s to the mid 70’s, winning two League titles, two UEFA cups and one FA Cup. Brian was known as “Little Bamber” and his team-mate, Steve Heighway, was “Big Bamber”. These nicknames arose from the fact that they both had university degrees and the TV programme University Challenge was chaired by one Bamber Gascoigne. Brian actually played against Barrow twice at Holker Street; once was in a pre-season friendly in August 1969 when he was in Liverpool reserves and before he had broken into the first team. Then, in the twilight of his career he turned out for Northwich Vics in 1981.

At the unveiling, Fred went up to have a chat with Brian and introduced himself. I was amused by Brian’s astonishment. “Fred Else? I can’t believe it” was the tone of the greeting! Brian lived in Preston and knew the legend of Fred Else only too well, but clearly didn’t expect to bump into him in Barrow that day.

I tend to squirm at the cliché “he was a true gentleman” after someone has died; it seems these days that every bloke who ever lived and died just happened to be a “true gentleman”. The difficulty here for me though is that it is probably true in the case of these two. Certainly I can vouch that it is true of Brian Hall; in the case of Fred, despite watching him with no small amount of hero-worship through his years at Barrow from behind the Holker Street wall, I did not personally know him and I have only the words of others about his true human nature. However, I can readily believe that he was the immensely decent individual that others have confirmed him to be from the way he carried himself and conducted himself.

Why the chills that I mentioned at the start? Brian Hall passed away on 16th July at the relatively young age of 68. Fred passed away on the 20th July.

Whenever I go past that Emlyn Hughes statue I think about the day those two footballing greats met there. From now, I will also think about the fact that they left this world within a few short days of each other.
Cracking story that, very poignant.

Online
Bruce
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 am
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by Bruce » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm

At 57 years old, I guess I am the perfect age to have had Fred Else as a hero of mine while watching Barrow in my younger years.
Much later Fred, who had a link/liking of the Isle of Man, became a member of the Manx society.
My Dad had family links to the Isle on Man and was also a member of the Manx society.
One thing we didn't know was that it was a tradition that the Manx society turned up at your doo for a drink on Christmas morning (or boxing day or new years day - the memory fades. So there I was in my parents home in Romney Park, Dalton for Christmas and the next minute I was stood there with Fred Else - I must admit I was not particularly lucid - just star struck.
I agree with pjdaly that it does appear that all people who die were all fantastic people (and that by the law of averages that cannot be the case), but in this case I have to say that in all contacts that mainly my parents had with Fred, he was 100% spot on - and my, albeit rose coloured, memory has him as a fantastic goalie as well!

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:39 pm

A Class Act! The BEST EVER Barrow AFC keeper.

Had the honour of seeing him in goal during our old Div 3 days. He really was CLASS! Stood out from the rest of the keepers not just because of his goal keeping skills but because of his old Cloth Cap.

England B international - saw his boots on display in the National Football Museum when it resided at Deepdale. Got talking to a couple of Burnley fans in there and felt so proud pointing at his boots and proclaiming: " Our old keeper!"

Thanks for the memories, Fred...

Rest in Peace.
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

User avatar
xerxes
Gold Member
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by xerxes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Very sad. I'm another for whom he was a boyhood hero. Can't remember him ever making a mistake. RIP Fred.

User avatar
Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: The Blue Planet
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by Wintergreen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:45 pm

xerxes wrote:Very sad. I'm another for whom he was a boyhood hero. Can't remember him ever making a mistake. RIP Fred.
He did make one mistake X, in the FA Cup game against Leicester when he wrongly assumed that his buddy Brian Arrowsmith would clear the ball upfield following the breakdown of a Leicester attack. I still remember the looks they exchanged with each other!
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...

User avatar
Steelworks End
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by Steelworks End » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Wintergreen wrote:
xerxes wrote:Very sad. I'm another for whom he was a boyhood hero. Can't remember him ever making a mistake. RIP Fred.
He did make one mistake X, in the FA Cup game against Leicester when he wrongly assumed that his buddy Brian Arrowsmith would clear the ball upfield following the breakdown of a Leicester attack. I still remember the looks they exchanged with each other!
Bit harsh, that, I think. It was a cracking goal from Arrowsmith; I doubt any 'keeper would have saved it. :(

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: Fred Else

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:45 pm

SKIPPER wrote:Sad news indeed. Fred was the final frontier behind a solid back four which allowed the likes of Mick Hartland and Jimmy Mulhiolland to weave their magic withot this modern day 'tracking back'.Oft used term but he was undoubtedly the best goalkeeper never to play for England. Many years after his retirement I went to my daughters' parents evening and met her English teacher Mr Else never for one minute putting two and two together. On realising who it was I was gobsmacked and sheepishly admit to a moment of 'schoolboy idolatry'. It just showed that he was able to seamlessly slip into a second career without any fuss or fanfare. Such a modest man. And yes my daughter still remembers him with fondness 25 or so years on.
He did! England B international.
Totally agree with your comments, though, regarding Hartland, Mulholland and co. What a team that was!

With regard to Wintergreen's comment about Brian Arrowsmith's own goal. I witnessed that too. It took me 46 years to pluck up the courage to approach Brian concerning that goal. His reply befitted the Gentleman he is. He also regaled me with some anecdotes concerning Jimmy Mallon, etc...
Quality! :D
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bruce, nottinghamblue, Semrush [Bot] and 23 guests