£990,754 loss last season

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by barrowfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:35 pm

So we have lost over £900,000 for TWO years not just one. Has the Evening Mail cottoned on yet?

Online
DaveP
Gold Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by DaveP » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm

We lost over £900k for last year alone. I've not looked at the previous years figures but think it was a bout £800k for the previous year .

This loss is represented by monies owed to the owner by the company ie money he has pumped in.

Londonblue
Senior Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Londonblue » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:02 pm

The scary thing is that the loss is being fully covered by the owner via his company...

No idea whether the loss is similar for the current year.

saltcellar
Platinum Member
Posts: 2843
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by saltcellar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:10 pm

olbarrafancumbak wrote:
russell_anderson wrote:I'm sure Paul Casson IS a millionaire. However, to maintain a football club nowadays (even at National League level) you need to be a many times multi-millionaire and I'm not sure Mr Casson is at that level.
out of curiosity...wonder how deep Mr C's pockets are?
I believe that while not a billionaire he has several hundred millions.

Londonblue
Senior Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Londonblue » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 pm

saltcellar wrote:
olbarrafancumbak wrote:
out of curiosity...wonder how deep Mr C's pockets are?
I believe that while not a billionaire he has several hundred millions.
Really?

I have no idea of course, but I didn't get the impression he was a multi millionaire.

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

saltcellar wrote:
olbarrafancumbak wrote:
out of curiosity...wonder how deep Mr C's pockets are?
I believe that while not a billionaire he has several hundred millions.

No chance
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by russell_anderson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

saltcellar wrote:
olbarrafancumbak wrote:
out of curiosity...wonder how deep Mr C's pockets are?
I believe that while not a billionaire he has several hundred millions.
What evidence do you have for that? I don't know that he hasn't BUT my judgement is based on the fact that while the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green and AFC Fylde have rich owners, those owners are pouring money into new infrastructure while Barrow's owner is not. That tells me that either he doesn't have the money to do it or he doesn't have the interest to do it. I believe he must have the interest otherwise I can't see any reason why he would have bought the club and, therefore, my conclusion is he can't afford to do it.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by boyliegladbach » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 pm

russell_anderson wrote:
saltcellar wrote:
I believe that while not a billionaire he has several hundred millions.
What evidence do you have for that? I don't know that he hasn't BUT my judgement is based on the fact that while the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green and AFC Fylde have rich owners, those owners are pouring money into new infrastructure while Barrow's owner is not. That tells me that either he doesn't have the money to do it or he doesn't have the interest to do it. I believe he must have the interest otherwise I can't see any reason why he would have bought the club and, therefore, my conclusion is he can't afford to do it.
How many years were FGR fylde and Fleetwood owners in charge before they built new grounds? Anyone know?

Londonblue
Senior Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Londonblue » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 pm

boyliegladbach wrote:
russell_anderson wrote:What evidence do you have for that? I don't know that he hasn't BUT my judgement is based on the fact that while the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green and AFC Fylde have rich owners, those owners are pouring money into new infrastructure while Barrow's owner is not. That tells me that either he doesn't have the money to do it or he doesn't have the interest to do it. I believe he must have the interest otherwise I can't see any reason why he would have bought the club and, therefore, my conclusion is he can't afford to do it.
How many years were FGR fylde and Fleetwood owners in charge before they built new grounds? Anyone know?
Dale Vince became the majority shareholder of FGR in 2010 and I believe Ecotricity (his renewable energy company) is now the ultimate owner. Not sure when their new stadium was announced - was it in 2015?

Interestingly, they made a loss of around £2.5m last year and have net liabilities of £5.4m - all of which are owed to group undertakings e.g. Ecotricity.

They also have to have guarantees that the ultimate owner won't call in their debts so that it can carry on as a going concern.

Not sure how the new stadium is being funded, but they 5 times the liabilities that Barrow have. The flip side to this is that you can see things are being done. How they would manage under Financial Fair Play rules if they ever got the football league is another matter.

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Suffolk Blue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:16 pm

David Haythornthwaite I believe took over AFC Fylde when they were still Kirkham & Wesham. This would've cost him little by todays standards and although Fylde immediately had the problem of seeking a ground they did not have the problem of a crumbling ruin to maintain.

Whilst DH has been in charge for a number of years at Fylde, the Mill Farm (current ground) plan was floated immediately and has been at the heart of Fylde's development plans since that time. That it took 5 years plus to deliver and involved a stay at Kellemargh Park - which earned them the nickname "AFC Field" - shouldn't detract from the fact that the current ground with its petrol station, KFC and Lidl outlets, generous parking and internal sports bar facilities was always what they planned and was available to anybody to see if they chose to look at them. Most chose to believe that their plans like so many others were "pie in the sky" and couldn't be fulfilled outside of the League but they were wrong.

I'm not a fan either of Fylde or their owner. Rightly or wrongly my view is that Paul Casson as well as being a successful business man is undoubtedly a fan and has the club in his heart. As a result I actually believe that he tends to listen to stakeholders including supporters perhaps more than others would or should. In doing so he pays a price in terms of popularity, discussion about his personal wealth, credibility and sometimes has his integrity questioned. He also controls his business from across the Atlantic whereas the Fylde owner lives very close to the site.

There are many aspects of the Fylde development that I'm envious of as a BAFC fan. There is no doubt that they have been very impressive commercially, and have an infrastructure already far more sustainable than our own. There has been a significant amount of investment running into millions of that there is no doubt and their owner has - until recently at least - shouldered the burden of this. By the way - although I'm not in the least bit privy to their owner's finances, I cannot see any evidence that he would be significantly wealthier the our own. He has a successful local business behind him but is definitely not in the Dale Vince league. The difference has been that he has been able to plan and build his choice of stadium and has then surrounded it with his choice of commercial outlets - all of whom pay rent to him as well as bringing in hundreds of potential additional supporters. Gates have gone from an average of 400 at KP to 1800 this season.

The reason I'm not a Fylde enthusiast? In my opinion their ownership by comparison with our own is rather autocratic and is fuelled by the passion/obsession of a single person who's motives may not be wholly focussed on the club/community. The type of criticism, open discussion and dissent that is characteristic of this forum would certainly not go down too well in Fylde. I may be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen a set of published accounts for Fylde. Access to their forum is restricted, rights (e.g. filming rights) are controlled and there seems a much more distant relationship between the club and its supporters.

When I read certain members on this stating their "rights" to discuss whatever matters they choose or deliver whatever verdict they like on whatever subject either because of their "senior" supporter status or because there is believed to be some constitutional right to free speech which must be seen to be upheld, it does make me chuckle.

Londonblue
Senior Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Londonblue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 pm

An interesting summary of Fylde - thank you Suffolk Blue.

I do have to comment on your final sentence though. As long as forum members are not abusing individuals, breaking the law or going against standards drawn up on this forum, they should be free to say what they like whether people agree with it or not.

Otherwise, what is the point...

HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8352
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by HenneysKnee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Don't get me wrong Fylde attendances would probably have always grown in a new ground but I'm not sure if it would have been to the same extent if Blackpool fans hadn't stopped attending their own games

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm

HenneysKnee wrote:Don't get me wrong Fylde attendances would probably have always grown in a new ground but I'm not sure if it would have been to the same extent if Blackpool fans hadn't stopped attending their own games
..... and if the same new fans hadn't seen any of the vast advertising they do.

Fylde are doing it right. Very impressive.
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by Suffolk Blue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Its difficult to assess how many Blackpool fans have defected to Fylde or if and when they will leak back to Blackpool. Not in the near future probably as black clouds continue to hover over Bloomfield Road. Clearly if fans believe they will get a happier experience at Fylde and Fylde continue to progress then many may never go back until Blackpool reasserts itself as a force capable of League 1/Championship status. The interesting comparison is with fans of PNE. Kirkham is slightly closer to Blackpool than Preston but not much and about half the locals have allegiance not to the seasiders but to the knob-enders. Yet there is very little evidence that PNE fans are leaking to Fylde which suggests that a happier situation at Blackpool would mean a return for many old faithfuls.

I know many in the vicinity of Fylde that swear blind that Fylde is just a stepping stone for the current owner to a purchase of Blackpool - he has previously expressed his interest. If that were to happen Fylde's owner may quickly become an absentee landlord and some pretty bleak (dare I say Vaughan-like) scenarios begin to appear. However for the time being I agree with a former member of this forum - Fylde are indeed doing it right.

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: £990,754 loss last season

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

I think you'll find that Blackpool fans will return (if any have actually defected) to Bloomfield Road once Oyston has gone. I know a few PNE fans - any suggestion that they would start supporting Fylde would be treated with hilarity.
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DaveP and 27 guests