Post
by bigmac95 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm
I remember Mansfield doing this and making a massive success of it.
My concerns would be that such an idea would be better suited to a team which has had a historically strong fanbase - who may have been disillusioned or become apathetic. I am not sure we have ever had this level of support (aside from a couple of FA cup games).
Gen Man - what would the aim of such a day be? If it is financial gain its risky, if it is to boost attendances long term then this also is unlikely to work (given it would be a one off). If it is to reward fans and try and build some publicity around a lesser game then this might work.
I would prefer the club to run specific fan days, consistently changing each game.
E.g. One game would be NHS day, where any NHS employee gets in for free, the next make it BAE day (same perk), then Season Ticket holder loyalty day (free pint at the bar), then young fan day (anyone under 18 in for free) - the list could go on and on - the key being that you sell it to each group long in advance with strong marketing, you make a big deal of those people when they arrive. It may not be a silver bullet, but it might bring more back long term.
Our club is a tough sell, but I think with enough energy and vigour it can be done.
Ticket prices would also need to be significantly reduced - but I doubt this will happen.
And on the 7th day god created football