Northampton v Barrow match thread
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Jason Taylor will be a quality manager at some point down the line
-
Bakewell Blue
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 pm
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Some interesting reaction on the Cobblers forum. Generally surprised how well we played, given our league position, with some acknowledging that we were one of the better teams they have seen (although some still can’t see past the “lowly” Barrow syndrome). Jason Taylor getting a lot of plaudits from them (and our noisy away support - as a Barnsley fan said last month, they never shut up!)
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Yep one game comes to mind Watford think Graham Turner was the Manager 1968 came to Holker St.
We played them off the park till half time.
I thought we will thump themsecond half , they had just absorbed our pressure .
Second half we got beat 4-1 clinical.
Two years earlier Northampton had been in the First Division how times have changed
-
MisterPleasant
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5248
- Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
This one made me smile and was remarkably prescient, posted 3 minutes before kick-off:Bakewell Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:08 pm Some interesting reaction on the Cobblers forum. Generally surprised how well we played, given our league position, with some acknowledging that we were one of the better teams they have seen (although some still can’t see past the “lowly” Barrow syndrome). Jason Taylor getting a lot of plaudits from them (and our noisy away support - as a Barnsley fan said last month, they never shut up!)
Let’s all keep cool, you know it’s the Cobblers and they have that knack of pulling a defeat from the jaws of victory.
It’s the hope that kills you.
Don't let the old man in.
-
russell_anderson
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2880
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
- Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
There is little objectivity from most football fans. The vast majority think there team is better than it actually is and should win every match it plays. They also think every time they win their team is marvelloius and every time they lose it is useless!
Last edited by russell_anderson on Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Very accurate, and shows itself on this forum, and at most clubs. Predictable and capricious, and I fall for it myself, too often.russell_anderson wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 amThere is little objectivity from most football fans. The vast majority think there teams is better than it actually is and should win every match it plays. They also think every time they win their team is marvelloius and every time they lose it is useless!
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Pedro wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 amYep one game comes to mind Watford think Graham Turner was the Manager 1968 came to Holker St.
We played them off the park till half time.
I thought we will thump themsecond half , they had just absorbed our pressure .
Second half we got beat 4-1 clinical.
Two years earlier Northampton had been in the First Division how times have changed
Ken Furphey was Watford manager.
They finished top of division 3 in 1968-69.
Unfortunately Barrow finished next to bottom and were relegated to division 4.
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
I remember that game for a number of reasons aside from the result.
A near-unconscious adult Watford fan in a pink shirt grabbing a power-nap on the roundabout at the bottom of the Ceme Hill, pre-match.
I also recall that for some unknown reason, I had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house, only then to take some abuse from the Rookery Ender who ended up on the roundabout.
Somebody also sprayed 'Rookery End' on the Holker Street wall.
Funny the things that the brain recalls.
A near-unconscious adult Watford fan in a pink shirt grabbing a power-nap on the roundabout at the bottom of the Ceme Hill, pre-match.
I also recall that for some unknown reason, I had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house, only then to take some abuse from the Rookery Ender who ended up on the roundabout.
Somebody also sprayed 'Rookery End' on the Holker Street wall.
Funny the things that the brain recalls.
- Sea Dog Sam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Pis*ed it down if I remember correctly? Stuart Scullion ran us ragged. Think he was playing for England U23s at the time?Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm I remember that game for a number of reasons aside from the result.
A near-unconscious adult Watford fan in a pink shirt grabbing a power-nap on the roundabout at the bottom of the Ceme Hill, pre-match.
I also recall that for some unknown reason, I had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house, only then to take some abuse from the Rookery Ender who ended up on the roundabout.
Somebody also sprayed 'Rookery End' on the Holker Street wall.
Funny the things that the brain recalls.
A swarm of Hornets fans walked into The Holker End and took it with ease. I was only a nipper at the time. The infamous Barrow Boot Boys were nowhere to be seen. A Watford fan asked me where all the Barrow fans were? I could only shrug my shoulders.
Poor attendance of 4,000+ for a top table clash. I blamed it on the rain.
You mention 'The Stringer Clan'. I was talking to Ray the other day
Shiver Me Timbers
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Ah, the Stringers, the memories, JH!!!Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house
They murdered me in 1969 by throwing me on a bonfire they were building on the old Griffin Estate, at a time when it was all rough ground and heavily overgrown, and long before any housing was built on there. (Some might say well done Stringers).
Fortunately I woke up, sweating profusely, and lived to watch another match at Holker Street.
Having said that, with what I witnessed at Holker Street over the following three years after that (and indeed more than just three) maybe it would have been better if the dream had come true.
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
I seem to remember that one of the older brothers was done for setting fire to BR carriages on Carriage Sidings, right opposite The Griffin. Ah, the nostalgia. Great that we all live to tell the tales and hasn't the world changed ?
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Oh God, I always used to go that way. So much quicker than going all the way round the right angle formed by Highfield Road and Ceme Hill.Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pmI had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house...
I wasn't particularly brave, maybe I was just stupid (don't answer that!).
No bubblewrap unpopped.
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
I think Keith Eddy would have captained Watford in that Christmas game in 1968.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests