Page 2 of 4

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:10 pm
by Jim
A memory from the scrapbook:
FredElse.jpg
FredElse.jpg (157.07 KiB) Viewed 3619 times

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 pm
by blue nige
Sad news just glad I had the privilege of being able to see him play!

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 pm
by Angela
RIP Fred and condolences to his family

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm
by andyg
Greatest Barrow goalkeeper in my book. So crucial to our promotion in 1967

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm
by Steelworks End
I hope that we can afford Fred the respect that he is due in the first game of the season against Dover.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:05 pm
by bluebird90
Sad news. Thoughts are with his family.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:07 pm
by cottingham bluebird
R I P Fred
and he was also a great teacher to have at thorncliffe thanks for everything Fred God bless you

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 pm
by pjdaly
Very sad news, sorry to hear this. Condolences to Fred’s family.

Jim, I also have the Evening Mail cutting from the game away at Swindon, I just wish I could have been there to witness it!

Fred wasn’t simply a great keeper, he had an aura, a presence about him that I feel must have strengthened the belief and stature of the rest of the team during that period 1966 to 1968. One memory that springs to mind was from 28th January 1967 when we drew 2-2 at home to Southampton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I was waiting in the tunnel to get autographs after the match and Martin Chivers (a young Martin Chivers before his England days) was talking to someone, probably a journalist, and came out with the remark “their keeper kept them in it”. Actually, I think it was a bit unfair because we were a little unlucky not to knock Southampton out of the cup that day, though it’s true that Fred did make one breath-taking tip over the bar at the Holker Street end. Having said that, there were many occasions when Fred did indeed keep us “in it” in many matches. RIP, great man.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 pm
by Suffolk Blue
Fred was my first hero as a boy. Played with Blackburn and Preston in the good old days. Came to us after his peak but was real class - i could see that even as a boy. My father - who used to call virtually every player he didn't like at the time (i.e. Pilkington, Worthington, Alston, Tait) a "pudding" - always told me Fred was the real deal. Whenever the subject comes around to the 66-67 side i always start any analysis of that team with Else.

I also went to school with Gary Else so Fred was never far from the conversation. Now both are gone. Doesn't do to get too meloncholy about these things but I feel a real sadness at Fred's passing. Condolences to all the Else family.

Would be nice if the club had a minutes silence/applause at some point.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:10 am
by ant
RIP Fred.. Very sad news. Fred Else and Roy McCarthy heroes from my youth.Fred always had that total pro look if you know what i mean.The brilled back hair.way he carried himself.Hero looks to a young kid like me,and boy, what a great keeper.Best in my 50 years watching. Condolences to all his family and friends. Another boy hood hero lost... :scarf:

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 am
by kikka
Very sorry to hear the news about Fred , the best Goalkeeper I have ever seen in a Barrow shirt.

I rarely remember a situation where an onrushing forward , through on goal having broken through the defence, was not thwarted by Fred coming out from his line to dive courageously at his feet.

He provided a tremendous confidence boost to the team and to the fans as, whenever he was between the sticks, you just felt that the opposition would not score an easy goal.

He was also a gentleman off the pitch , and will be sorely missed , but not forgotten, for sure. :scarf:

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 am
by memories of 67
Sad news indeed, another Barrow AFC legend moves on to the great football pitch in the sky.

We have had some very good goalkeepers at Holker street, but without doubt Fred Else was the greatest, way above anyone else. He wasn't that big stature wise, but made up for that with a massive heart and great positional awareness and agility, never afraid to come for crosses and brilliant shot-stopper. I still can't believe we managed to get him to play for Barrow!!

A sad time, but he leaves us with great memories, condolences to all his family and many friends.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 am
by Lancaster Branch
Ah, that's terrible news.

Too young to see him play but anyone who's read anything about the history of the club should appreciate his standing and his place in our roll call of legends. I had the honour of helping Darren Gardner on the night of Fred's book launch at BAE Sports - he was a thoroughly nice gentleman with time to talk with everyone who wanted a few minutes of his time.

Rest in peace Fred.

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:43 am
by saltcellar
Agree with all the above comments about Fred.
Great goalkeeper and wonderful person.
Love this from Bob Herbert.
Bob Herbert was the Evening Mail’s Barrow AFC correspondent when Else ruled between the sticks at Holker Street. Herbert said: “Fred was a real gentleman and an absolutely superb goalkeeper.

“He criticised me once for saying that he made a brilliant save as he told me, ‘no, I was badly positioned, you don’t make brilliant saves, all saves should be easy’.

“Fred was very humble. He was the best goalkeeper Barrow ever had, by a long way.

“He was a brilliant shot-stopper. He wasn’t particularly tall or a big man, but he was very flexible and had powerful arms.”

Re: Fred Else

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am
by SMB
Very sad news. I was privileged to see Fred Play. Without doubt the best goalkeeper I ever saw play for the club in the best team I ever saw play for Barrow AFC. RIP Fred and thanks