Page 2 of 2
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:08 pm
by Jim
Swattylad wrote:In order:
Back row left to right...
Mike Knox, Dave Duckworth, Peter Evans, Roger Wilde, Graham McKeating, Pete Townsend, unknown
Front left to right...
Pete Moffet, Bryan Wilson, Bob Knox, Unknown, Dave or Pete Postlethwaite.
Something in my memory banks suggests that the lad at the far right, back row, was called Smith, but I couldn't swear to it.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:45 pm
by Swattylad
You could be right..."Smithy" rings a bell.
Manager was Joe Humphreys.
I think he was a teacher at Risedale (or some other) school.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:57 pm
by Jim
Swattylad wrote:You could be right..."Smithy" rings a bell.
Manager was Joe Humphreys.
I think he was a teacher at Risedale (or some other) school.
South Newbarns, he taught me.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:10 pm
by SKIPPER
Jim wrote:Swattylad wrote:You could be right..."Smithy" rings a bell.
Manager was Joe Humphreys.
I think he was a teacher at Risedale (or some other) school.
South Newbarns, he taught me.
He was also the top referee in the area at the time. He took me for a reffing course as part of my Duke of Edinburghs Award
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 pm
by boyliegladbach
Any of you oldies remember this 91 years ago today?
http://tdifh.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/31- ... s.html?m=1
I've heard John Little was there
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:27 pm
by pjdaly
Boylie, the memories of the match are very vague as I was only 6 at the time and 1924-25 was my first season watching at Holker Street. I do remember Harold Kay’s penalty in the first replay at Barrow was at the Holker Street end and that he was a good player generally but I cannot recall anything else from the match. I was too young to attend the other replays and, besides, I couldn’t have gone anyway as we were too poor to travel to away matches. If I’m honest, I can’t even remember which neutral grounds the other replays were played at. Sorry, I know that’s not much help but if it’s all I can remember it’s all I can remember.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:08 pm
by saltcellar
Jim wrote:Swattylad wrote:In order:
Back row left to right...
Mike Knox, Dave Duckworth, Peter Evans, Roger Wilde, Graham McKeating, Pete Townsend, unknown
Front left to right...
Pete Moffet, Bryan Wilson, Bob Knox, Unknown, Dave or Pete Postlethwaite.
Something in my memory banks suggests that the lad at the far right, back row, was called Smith, but I couldn't swear to it.
Might be wrong but the lad on the far right of the back row looks like Barry Hall.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:22 pm
by Steelworks End
pjdaly wrote:I was too young to attend the other replays and, besides, I couldn’t have gone anyway as we were too poor to travel to away matches. If I’m honest, I can’t even remember which neutral grounds the other replays were played at.
These replays were at Wolverhampton (22nd Dec), Arsenal (30th), and Millwall (31st); the first two (and the first replay) all went to extra time.
It was a busy period, as Barrow also had league matches on 26th & 27th Dec (home to Accrington & Doncaster respectively) then on 1st & 3rd Jan (away to Bradford PA and Southport). The players must have been shattered!.
And no, I wasn't at any of these games!

Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:12 am
by boyliegladbach
Steelworks End wrote:pjdaly wrote:I was too young to attend the other replays and, besides, I couldn’t have gone anyway as we were too poor to travel to away matches. If I’m honest, I can’t even remember which neutral grounds the other replays were played at.
These replays were at Wolverhampton (22nd Dec), Arsenal (30th), and Millwall (31st); the first two (and the first replay) all went to extra time.
It was a busy period, as Barrow also had league matches on 26th & 27th Dec (home to Accrington & Doncaster respectively) then on 1st & 3rd Jan (away to Bradford PA and Southport). The players must have been shattered!.
I
And no, I wasn't at any of these games!

That's mad travelling all that way in them days.
Don't lie John, you and Frank were there as teens
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:28 pm
by biggest fans
Just a, little message for Wintergreen and Swottylad Just been in the Kings at Hawcoat With Dave Duckworth reading this thread. He laughed at the mobility statement. Then we ran down Hawcoat Lane Dave won!!! So as u can imagine he is in good Nick. Ps he was also mentioned in Emlyn Hughes autobiography Crazy Horse. Page 20/21 he was the star of the school who was brilliant at everything.
Also Bob Knox owned a successful newsagent in . Oxford st with his wife Anita who in turn were great squash players. Sadly missed.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:20 pm
by Wintergreen
biggest fans wrote:Just a, little message for Wintergreen and Swottylad Just been in the Kings at Hawcoat With Dave Duckworth reading this thread. He laughed at the mobility statement. Then we ran down Hawcoat Lane Dave won!!! So as u can imagine he is in good Nick. Ps he was also mentioned in Emlyn Hughes autobiography Crazy Horse. Page 20/21 he was the star of the school who was brilliant at everything.
Also Bob Knox owned a successful newsagent in . Oxford st with his wife Anita who in turn were great squash players. Sadly missed.
Well I’m glad to hear Dave is still a winner! I must have got the wrong impression as last time I saw him a good while back (in the King’s) he was shuffling about and struggling to walk comfortably so maybe it was a temporary thing – surely not a sports injury? Anyhow, my sincere apologies for any misrepresentation there.
Those guys that were good at everything made you sick, but I always used to think that living in the sticks a bit like we did prevented them from getting on. I guess one exception being Emlyn whose parents had the wherewithal to ferry him about a bit eventually securing a deal at Blackpool.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:47 pm
by biggest fans
Just been in Kings (yes again) with Dave he said since he last saw u he has had 2 full knee reconstructions!! Hence why he beat me down the hill yesterday!!
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Historic match 27th December 1965
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:29 pm
by Swattylad
Happy to hear Dave is up and running.
I can sympathize with that type of mobility problem.
I had a full knee replacement myself last year, so maybe we can now get the old team back together with a little pre-season training.
Just let me know when. I will see if I can hitch a ride over with PC's private jet.
