Blackburn
Re: Blackburn
It would be preferable to have the whole Holker End for home supporters with a roof on it. I don't think there can be any arguement against that. Should be the number one priority now the floodlights are (almost) sorted.
I wanna take you to an Away Bar
Re: Blackburn
As saltcellar states it hasn't always been the home end. And it probably only is now because we only really have one end. I imagine once the steelworks end is rebuilt with roof/lid then this will once again become the home end. I hope it is designed with supporters and atmosphere in mind though. Would be nice if it was similar to morecambes old home end but even if it is only ten rows deep then we will still be able to produce some noise from that end. And then we won't give a toss who stands on 1/3 of the roofless decaying HSE! holker street quite simply isn't a stadium for the 21st century we're trying our bests but unfortunately until we change the stadium which PC IS doing then the problem isn't going to go away.
-
cromwells ghost
- Senior Member
- Posts: 339
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
How can all the ground be classed as a home end? I was in the Holkerend against Southampton,Leicester city,Notts forrest,Preston,Fulham,etc it was our home end then.saltcellar wrote:Since when has the Holler Street end been the home end?cromwells ghost wrote:The club has lost its identity, lose your home end and you sell your soul. Our gates are down partly because Barrovians do not feel part of the club and lost interest, you may get them in for the big games but then they drift away.Holker street end was and should always be our home end.
Since the Steelworks end was pulled down?
I have supported Barrow 63 years and all parts of the ground use to be the home end.
Is any supporter less passionate because they sit in the stand or stand in the Wilkie stand.
Give over, you cannot use that as an excuse for people not attending games.
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2842
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
I'm afraid it wasn't.cromwells ghost wrote:How can all the ground be classed as a home end? I was in the Holkerend against Southampton,Leicester city,Notts forrest,Preston,Fulham,etc it was our home end then.saltcellar wrote:
Since when has the Holler Street end been the home end?
Since the Steelworks end was pulled down?
I have supported Barrow 63 years and all parts of the ground use to be the home end.
Is any supporter less passionate because they sit in the stand or stand in the Wilkie stand.
Give over, you cannot use that as an excuse for people not attending games.
I was at all those games and it was no more the home end than the Steelworks end where I always stood.
In those days there was no segregation.
Supporters of both teams stood side by side on any part of the ground.
There was never any trouble and supporters of both teams talked to each other with good banter.
The only place in the ground where that happens now is in the Brian Arrowsmith Stand.
-
cromwells ghost
- Senior Member
- Posts: 339
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
No trouble, I remember Leicester city fans coming on the pitch and throwing bottles in the Holker end,what about Watford or Barnsley not much banter then,there was more trouble in the 60's and 70's then now, Darlington when the fighting continued on the pitch while the match was being played,what about the Preston fan who lost his eye outside Holker Street?saltcellar wrote:I'm afraid it wasn't.cromwells ghost wrote:
How can all the ground be classed as a home end? I was in the Holkerend against Southampton,Leicester city,Notts forrest,Preston,Fulham,etc it was our home end then.
I was at all those games and it was no more the home end than the Steelworks end where I always stood.
In those days there was no segregation.
Supporters of both teams stood side by side on any part of the ground.
There was never any trouble and supporters of both teams talked to each other with good banter.
The only place in the ground where that happens now is in the Brian Arrowsmith Stand.
Saltceller you need to remember how bad it was and how we have advanced.
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7144
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
No trouble REALLY!
Fulham arrival of "Bootboys " fighting, Preston league Cup,Hartlepool, Barnsley, fans running from Holker End to chase workington fans ,goole town fa cup as stated Leicester fans tearing down drain pipes etc,
Until the roof came off it was always the home end hence the chant defend defend defend the Holker end!
Fulham arrival of "Bootboys " fighting, Preston league Cup,Hartlepool, Barnsley, fans running from Holker End to chase workington fans ,goole town fa cup as stated Leicester fans tearing down drain pipes etc,
Until the roof came off it was always the home end hence the chant defend defend defend the Holker end!
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
Well Said. I remember singing that chant with fondness in my heart.blue nige wrote:No trouble REALLY!
Fulham arrival of "Bootboys " fighting, Preston league Cup,Hartlepool, Barnsley, fans running from Holker End to chase workington fans ,goole town fa cup as stated Leicester fans tearing down drain pipes etc,
Until the roof came off it was always the home end hence the chant defend defend defend the Holker end!
YES! Defend The Holker End! The HOME END.
Give us back the roof and watch 'em come...
And re-house the away fans, please, Mr Casson
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
You'te talking nonsense!saltcellar wrote:Since when has the Holler Street end been the home end?cromwells ghost wrote:The club has lost its identity, lose your home end and you sell your soul. Our gates are down partly because Barrovians do not feel part of the club and lost interest, you may get them in for the big games but then they drift away.Holker street end was and should always be our home end.
Since the Steelworks end was pulled down?
I have supported Barrow 63 years and all parts of the ground use to be the home end.
Is any supporter less passionate because they sit in the stand or stand in the Wilkie stand.
Give over, you cannot use that as an excuse for people not attending games.
I've been following the club since 1968 and until it became roofless I always stood on the Holker Street terrace.
You've supported the club for 63 years? Then surely you will remember the singing and chanting that took place in The Holker End? In which other part of the ground could you hear singing and chanting? You must be either blind or deaf if you didn't see or hear the vocal support from that section of the ground. Did you never hear us singing:
'Steelworks, Steelworks, give us a song, Steelworks, give us a song!' A request to the old Steelworks End to sing too.
They never did
As cromwell's ghost and blue nige affirm, the away support in the past has occasionally tried to 'take' the Holker End - why would they do that? Because even the visiting support acknowledged The Holker End as being the HOME END. I was present on The Holker End in the 70s when Watford steamed in as did Preston - I didn't see any of their fans attempting to storm the Popular Side or the Main Stand. However, I do remember Preston being ran INTO the Main Stand...
As a boy/teenager I took delight in standing in that section of the ground singing my heart out with the rest of the lads. It was the ONLY section of the ground where singing and chanting took place.
There's even an un-moderated section on this forum titled: The Holker End - have you not wondered why?
You've been following the club for 63 years? And you state that all parts of the ground 'used' to be the Home End?
Saltcellar; you need to go test your eyes and hearing.
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
-
JimmyCrabstick
- Gold Member
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 pm
- Location: Thornton-Cleveleys
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
Barnsley fans in the Holker End chasing Workington fans.What was going on there? Why was that game played at Barrow? I'm only young.
Northern Lights, Ormsgill Reservoir Sundown
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
You need to re-read blue nige's post. You'll notice a comma after Barnsley.
He wasn't suggesting THEY were chasing Workington at Holker Street
It was Barrow chasing the Marras...
He wasn't suggesting THEY were chasing Workington at Holker Street
It was Barrow chasing the Marras...
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
-
JimmyCrabstick
- Gold Member
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 pm
- Location: Thornton-Cleveleys
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
Ok, yes i read it wrong. Thought it was a bit odd
Barnsley fans chasing Workington fans at HS
Northern Lights, Ormsgill Reservoir Sundown
- LDBF
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:36 pm
- Location: Belize, Central America
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
cromwells ghost wrote:saltcellar wrote:
Darlington when the fighting continued on the pitch while the match was being played,.
Remember this, Barrow defending the Holker Street end so everyone at the Steelworks end, both sets of supporters. A few police keeping the fans apart, lots of rival chants. Couple of girls went down the front and started "fighting", police moved in to break them up and the chase across the field started.
Re: Blackburn
Excuse me if I've missed something, but has the owner recently mentioned anything about plans for the Holker St end?
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."
- The Real Slim Azza
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6941
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Blackburn
Those plans are queued behind this - http://test.cnmedia.co.uk/casson-reveal ... -1.1157394Shaun wrote:Excuse me if I've missed something, but has the owner recently mentioned anything about plans for the Holker St end?
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
Re: Blackburn
So, as that's from 2014; nothing new then, which is what I was asking?
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: carnivalofshrews, John_Bucks and 16 guests