Page 14 of 15
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:03 pm
by McMark
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 pm
by Robwez10
Jason Taylor will be a quality manager at some point down the line
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:08 pm
by Bakewell Blue
Some interesting reaction on the Cobblers forum. Generally surprised how well we played, given our league position, with some acknowledging that we were one of the better teams they have seen (although some still can’t see past the “lowly” Barrow syndrome). Jason Taylor getting a lot of plaudits from them (and our noisy away support - as a Barnsley fan said last month, they never shut up!)
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 am
by Jim
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 am
by Pedro
Jim wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 am
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
Yep one game comes to mind Watford think Graham Turner was the Manager 1968 came to Holker St.
We played them off the park till half time.
I thought we will thump themsecond half , they had just absorbed our pressure .
Second half we got beat 4-1 clinical.
Two years earlier Northampton had been in the First Division how times have changed
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:19 am
by MisterPleasant
Bakewell Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:08 pm
Some interesting reaction on the Cobblers forum. Generally surprised how well we played, given our league position, with some acknowledging that we were one of the better teams they have seen (although some still can’t see past the “lowly” Barrow syndrome). Jason Taylor getting a lot of plaudits from them (and our noisy away support - as a Barnsley fan said last month, they never shut up!)
This one made me smile and was remarkably prescient, posted 3 minutes before kick-off:
Let’s all keep cool, you know it’s the Cobblers and they have that knack of pulling a defeat from the jaws of victory.
It’s the hope that kills you.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 am
by russell_anderson
Jim wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 am
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
There is little objectivity from most football fans. The vast majority think there team is better than it actually is and should win every match it plays. They also think every time they win their team is marvelloius and every time they lose it is useless!
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 pm
by Hitthebar22
russell_anderson wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 am
Jim wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 am
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
There is little objectivity from most football fans. The vast majority think there teams is better than it actually is and should win every match it plays. They also think every time they win their team is marvelloius and every time they lose it is useless!
Very accurate, and shows itself on this forum, and at most clubs. Predictable and capricious, and I fall for it myself, too often.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:36 pm
by saltcellar
Pedro wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 am
Jim wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 am
.
I thought during the game, how many times in the past have we seen teams that we "should beat" turn up at Holker Street and frustrate us tosnatch a point or three.
Yep one game comes to mind Watford think Graham Turner was the Manager 1968 came to Holker St.
We played them off the park till half time.
I thought we will thump themsecond half , they had just absorbed our pressure .
Second half we got beat 4-1 clinical.
Two years earlier Northampton had been in the First Division how times have changed
Ken Furphey was Watford manager.
They finished top of division 3 in 1968-69.
Unfortunately Barrow finished next to bottom and were relegated to division 4.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm
by Cubbins Paratrooper
I remember that game for a number of reasons aside from the result.
A near-unconscious adult Watford fan in a pink shirt grabbing a power-nap on the roundabout at the bottom of the Ceme Hill, pre-match.
I also recall that for some unknown reason, I had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house, only then to take some abuse from the Rookery Ender who ended up on the roundabout.
Somebody also sprayed 'Rookery End' on the Holker Street wall.
Funny the things that the brain recalls.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:52 pm
by Sea Dog Sam
Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm
I remember that game for a number of reasons aside from the result.
A near-unconscious adult Watford fan in a pink shirt grabbing a power-nap on the roundabout at the bottom of the Ceme Hill, pre-match.
I also recall that for some unknown reason, I had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house, only then to take some abuse from the Rookery Ender who ended up on the roundabout.
Somebody also sprayed 'Rookery End' on the Holker Street wall.
Funny the things that the brain recalls.
Pis*ed it down if I remember correctly? Stuart Scullion ran us ragged. Think he was playing for England U23s at the time?
A swarm of Hornets fans walked into The Holker End and took it with ease. I was only a nipper at the time. The infamous Barrow Boot Boys were nowhere to be seen. A Watford fan asked me where all the Barrow fans were? I could only shrug my shoulders.
Poor attendance of 4,000+ for a top table clash. I blamed it on the rain.
You mention 'The Stringer Clan'. I was talking to Ray the other day

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:10 pm
by pjdaly
Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm
severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house
Ah, the Stringers, the memories, JH!!!
They murdered me in 1969 by throwing me on a bonfire they were building on the old Griffin Estate, at a time when it was all rough ground and heavily overgrown, and long before any housing was built on there. (Some might say well done Stringers).
Fortunately I woke up, sweating profusely, and lived to watch another match at Holker Street.
Having said that, with what I witnessed at Holker Street over the following three years after that (and indeed more than just three) maybe it would have been better if the dream had come true.
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:42 pm
by Cubbins Paratrooper
I seem to remember that one of the older brothers was done for setting fire to BR carriages on Carriage Sidings, right opposite The Griffin. Ah, the nostalgia. Great that we all live to tell the tales and hasn't the world changed ?
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:47 pm
by Arvo
Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pmI had not walked to the ground down the usual and sensible Ceme Hill route that day. Instead, had come down the Newby Terrace steps and and onto Romney Road, severely bricking it in case the Stringer clan came out of their house...
Oh God, I always used to go that way. So much quicker than going all the way round the right angle formed by Highfield Road and Ceme Hill.
I wasn't particularly brave, maybe I was just stupid (don't answer that!).
Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:18 pm
by saltcellar
I think Keith Eddy would have captained Watford in that Christmas game in 1968.