Page 3 of 6

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:59 am
by mulligan
Top,top man was Brian.Great allrounder-football,cricket and golf.Barrow through and through.A very sad passing.Sincere condolences to his family.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:26 am
by Holkerbird
Tragic that we won't be able to pay our respects at this time but I hope, as he makes his final journey, the hearse will drive him past his beloved football ground.
We will all be there in spirit.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:26 am
by Middleton Nick
Just found out. A sad day. RIP Brian.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:28 am
by Matty
Rest in Peace Brian. Condolences to his family and friends.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:34 am
by blue nige
When I was a kid we won a 5 a side competition and Brian presented the trophy and I was over the moon with this , always made time to talk to you one of the good guy's, it would be brilliant if we could get promoted I'm sure he'd be looking over us 😀!

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:35 am
by optomisticsupporter
Rest in Peace Brian, a Footballer and Cricketer with Vickerstown a true sportsman and a local man, sad we cannot attend his Funeral.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:46 am
by spirit of 1990
I only got to speak to him three or four times and he was always so polite and genuine.

Thoughts and condolences to his family.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am
by liverpoolann
Spare a thought for his wife who may also be suffering the virus amidst her greif.Horrid world at present

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am
by GTBLUE
Very sad to hear of Brians passing. More awful news for our great club. As tough as granite and a "PROPER LEGEND "
My condolences to all his family and friends.
We won't be able to say goodbye properly and give him the send off he deserves.
Bloody virus ! Another reason we must be crowned champions.

Rest in peace "ARRA FROM BARRA."

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 pm
by Jim
I played golf with Brian at Furness GC one day about 1965 when he, Bobby Tait and Keith Eddy invited me to make up a foursome. My memory was that they all played golf a bit like they played football; Arra was strong and could hit the ball miles but in various directions, Bobby Tait played like the neat cultured inside forward that he was, and Eddy had both power and style.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 pm
by xerxes
One of my childhood heroes. RIP.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:25 pm
by Jonty
Sad news. 580 appearances between 1961-1977. A true Barrow legend. RIP.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:17 pm
by pjdaly
The worst of news. I remember as a kid in the mid-60's I used to wait after matches to collect autographs and I was christened "Smiler" by Brian. I don't feel like smiling at the moment.

There's a reason that that stand is named after him . . . because he was number one in so many ways in the history of the club. He was the local lad who captained us during our most glorious years. It's true that there were more illustrious names in that team, notably former top-flight players such as Fred Else, Billy McAdams and the recently passed Brian Pilkington, but Arrer was the steady rock of the side at centre-half and had the qualities of bravery, commitment and whole-heartedness by the bucket-load. I might be corrected on this but I think he played his last game for us, in the reserves, around about 1986 at the age of 46! That's the sort of granite he was carved out of.

The memories of Brian leading our team out during that golden period in the mid-to-late sixties will always remain with me. Of course there should have been a statue of Brian - - - I don't believe I am being over-emotional in saying that, because he was number one out of all the countless players that have featured for us since 1901. Still, I am so glad he was there just a few years ago to be able to see that stand baptised in his honour. Just the greatest, a rock-solid genuine professional with no airs and graces. The best.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:18 pm
by Lancaster Branch
Lovely words PJ.

Too often in this country we honour people after they’ve gone - it’s nice that Brian was able to see the stand being named after him.

Re: Brian Arrowsmith

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:31 pm
by Cokey
Well said PJ.

Rest in peace Brian. Barrow AFC legend.