Page 4 of 6

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:39 am
by HenneysKnee
They were the better team in the first half. Second half when we went 1v0 up I thought we’d win……people can say anything about anything but today was the day we chucked automatics away

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:39 am
by olefogey
We, like everyone else, won't know that until the end of the season.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:02 am
by Methuselah
There are a lot more games to play and we all know how a season can change.Four years ago most people would not have believed Barrow AFC would be in this position.This club has been fantastic this season.Long may it continue. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:36 am
by Moribund
HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:39 am They were the better team in the first half. Second half when we went 1v0 up I thought we’d win……people can say anything about anything but today was the day we chucked automatics away
Very bizarre comment given that all three teams above us failed to win tonight. If anything, Boxing Day was more a case of chucking away two points.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 am
by Jim
Bigfathoss wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:16 pm Garner just doesn't have any redeeming traits. The first half was wasted with him up front. Whits' goal was as good as I have seen. What a man.
To be fair, his strike partner Telford did nothing in first half either, so you could say that it was the conditions and the lack of decent passes to them. However, there was one occasion when he failed to challenge in midfield that really was annoying.

I don’t know what is wrong with him. On rare occasions, there is a glimpse of some talent - an intelligent pass or something - but most of the time he is ineffective. Perhaps his confidence is shot? Last season I kept thinking “give him time” but it has been a long time coming.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:01 am
by blue nige
Anyone who moaned about the performance has never played football let alone in a gale force wind with driving rain !
The only criticism I had was certain player's didn't put the effort in, which in these conditions is essential.
I get Steve's passion but honestly after about 20 minutes if they had announced the game was going to be a draw and everyone can go home I'd say 90% of the crowd would have took that !, just one forgettable game with some shocking refereeing decisions but look where we are !

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:04 am
by blue nige
HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:39 am They were the better team in the first half. Second half when we went 1v0 up I thought we’d win……people can say anything about anything but today was the day we chucked automatics away
There aren't many leagues we're promotion is decided in December get a grip , teams get injuries suspensions and have to play each other let's see how it pans out GLAD you're not in charge!

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 pm
by Jonty
blue nige wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:01 am Anyone who moaned about the performance has never played football let alone in a gale force wind with driving rain !
Conditions aside, Accrington settled a lot sooner than us. My view - if we start with the line up that came out in the second half I think we’d have won the game. Appreciate its a squad game. Instant impact with Whitfield and Acquah on the pitch

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:10 pm
by SayitagainSam
+1.

Start out matches (ie: Wrexham) with your BEST team, which must include goal-scoring/assists, all-over-the-field, Whitfield. Don't hold him back 'in reserve'.

Acquah and Telford are also positive contributors, 1 starter, 1 on the bench.

As for 'record-signing' (give me a fricking break) Garner, you might as well play with 10 men and my News Years wish is that he's never seen on the field again.

Good job I'm not telling you what I really think....

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:20 pm
by Fazered
Garner has been given a chance to show us what he is about. After last night not much. He just didn't even look interested.
Let's hope Warren doesn't get back in the team anytime soon

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:35 pm
by pjdaly
Jim wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 am However, there was one occasion when he (Garner) failed to challenge in midfield that really was annoying.

I don’t know what is wrong with him. On rare occasions, there is a glimpse of some talent - an intelligent pass or something - but most of the time he is ineffective. Perhaps his confidence is shot? Last season I kept thinking “give him time” but it has been a long time coming.
Nail on head, Jim. I agree, sometimes you see a glimpse of footballing intelligence but it's all too rare. You would have to cut any team a lot of slack in conditions as foul as that last night, but if the conditions make for low quality the one thing that is non-negotiable is effort, passion, commitment.

I agree with most on here that the draw was the fair result. With that wind behind us in the first half it's hard to understand why we didn't get shots away . . . Accy were wiser than us in that regard, with the Cowps-esque effort on goal right from kick-off in the second half and the blistering effort at the end that rocked the crossbar. I was disappointed by that blank canvas in the first half when the wind was in our favour and is the main reason why we can't complain too much at not winning.

The magnificent Ben Whitfield showed the way as soon as he came on, with two drives forcing saves from their keeper, followed by a truly great Holker Street hall-of-famer. Some might say the conditions helped the ball to curl in. I'd prefer to say he had the footballing presence-of-mind to take advantage of the conditions . . . which we didn't do in the first half.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:42 pm
by pjdaly
blue nige wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:01 am just one forgettable game!
Too right, Nige. I didn't hear Nat King Cole singing at the end. I won't be reminiscing about last night's match in 20 years time. Whether that's because I'll be dead or because I'll have forgotten all about it only time will tell.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 pm
by spirit of 1990
pjdaly wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:35 pm
Jim wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 am However, there was one occasion when he (Garner) failed to challenge in midfield that really was annoying.

I don’t know what is wrong with him. On rare occasions, there is a glimpse of some talent - an intelligent pass or something - but most of the time he is ineffective. Perhaps his confidence is shot? Last season I kept thinking “give him time” but it has been a long time coming.
Nail on head, Jim. I agree, sometimes you see a glimpse of footballing intelligence but it's all too rare. You would have to cut any team a lot of slack in conditions as foul as that last night, but if the conditions make for low quality the one thing that is non-negotiable is effort, passion, commitment.
We said exactly that last night Paul, he is what he is and we obviously made a huge mistake in signing him but it doesn’t matter how limited a player is skill-wise they simply have to show commitment, no excuse not to. Wild has stuck by him but he’s shown very little in the way of paying him back.
Once again, absolutely awful officiating, too many incidents to go into but these officials need to be made accountable, they need to explain how they can get so many easy decisions wrong.
Hopefully Ben starts on Monday (surely he must) because we looked so much of a threat when he came on. Most of the remaining players did their best in atrocious conditions, that’s all you can ask for.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:18 pm
by LCBAFC40
I'd start the team that finished in yesterday's game and really go at Wrexham.

Re: Barrow AFC v Accrington Stanley FC (H)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:22 pm
by Adam29
Worrall will be back in contention on Monday as will Jamie Proctor