Page 5 of 6
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am
by Tommylad
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Don't cry lad.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm
by BAFC_Lewis
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Best chant going, BBBFS x
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:33 pm
by Holkerbird
BAFC_Lewis wrote: ↑Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Best chant going, BBBFS x
I can see where it would appeal to a teenager but not an adult. We had the embarrassment of sitting in front of opposing fans at an away game and those lads were laughing and betting which song would come around again. Especially waiting for that one---wait. wait , wait YESSS were the laughing crowd. More entertaining to them than the actual football game.
Time for some new songs surely.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 am
by mulholland
Tommylad wrote: ↑Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Don't cry lad.
Who's crying? Just trying to educate morons like you and Lewis.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:49 am
by mulholland
BAFC_Lewis wrote: ↑Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Best chant going, BBBFS x
Singing it on Saturday?
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:52 am
by Jo am back
mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am
Looked more like two equally inept sides in the final third cancelling each other out to me. Keepers made one save each in 1st-half and don't remember either making one in the 2nd. Home ground was impressive and that pitch was Premiership quality. As for the away support, as resounding as it was, I like it when it reflects what's going on in front of them. Christ if they'd have put 11 wheelie-bins on in Barrow-shirts they'd still be there now chanting what is undoubtedly the worst song I've ever heard from any set of Barrow-fans (and I know my BBB's from my TMF's children)...you know which one I mean that 'BARROW, BARROW, BARROW ******* SOCCER'. Banning-orders all round the next time that embarrassment raises its pathetic head.
Jesus Mully lad you sure got a downer on about tuesday,would you rather revert back to hoof ball.The choir created a great atmosphere, though that BBBFS song is terrible.Have to agree on one point though, impressed with that ground and the quality of the playing surface.Cheer up you misery arse.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:21 am
by Wintergreen
As a veteran supporter on a returning coach trip I once had the youngsters enthralled by my solo renditions of 'Daisy', 'Ai Ai Ai Ai' and a few others from the good ol'days. Imagine an old bloke 40 years hence tired and emotional on a returning coach trip treating the youngsters onboard to 'BBBFS' and the 'Barrow Ranger'. Pass us the sick bag quick!
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am
by Tommylad
mulholland wrote: ↑Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 am
Tommylad wrote: ↑Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am
Don't cry lad.
Who's crying? Just trying to educate morons like you and Lewis.
Wanting to issue people with banning orders because of a chant. You must be fun at party's

Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm
by pjdaly
Wintergreen wrote: ↑Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:21 am
As a veteran supporter on a returning coach trip I once had the youngsters enthralled by my solo renditions of 'Daisy'
That's right, WG, "Daisy, Daisy" was probably the most popular song delivered by the Barrow Boot Boys in the Holker Street end during the 1960's. 'Ere we go then . . .
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do,
I'm half crazy all for the love of you,
It won't be a stylish marriage,
We can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle made for . . .
2,4,6,8, who do we appreciate?
B-A-R-R-O-W . . . Barrow!
That, and the poignant "Distant Drums" by Jim Reeves.
And then of course John Denver's "Annie's Song" has been a staple on football terraces for a few decades now ("You fill up my senses, like a night in a forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain" etc etc etc)
Conclusion? The 'ard nuts of the terraces, all through the ages, have just been soppy romantics at heart so we shouldn't worry about a little bit of colourful language. They'll all be bringing bunches of flowers to matches if we don't toughen things up a bit.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm
by barrowaberdeen
Wintergreen wrote: ↑Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:21 am
As a veteran supporter on a returning coach trip I once had the youngsters enthralled by my solo renditions of 'Daisy', 'Ai Ai Ai Ai' and a few others from the good ol'days. Imagine an old bloke 40 years hence tired and emotional on a returning coach trip treating the youngsters onboard to 'BBBFS' and the 'Barrow Ranger'. Pass us the sick bag quick!
Perhaps all the elements of chanting in the 70's watching football should be aired? Or maybe not, eh?
Barrow Ranger hardly ever gets sang- whole seasons go by. I get that the other one's an accquired taste but it's actually from a Simon Spender chant about 9 years ago, borne out of frustration that we couldn't think of one (and no, not guilty).
Everything that gets sung is from a fair cross section of ages.
Off the top of my head; We had on Tuesday; Bob Marley, a song from Brazil, One from FC St Pauli which is a Motown classic, mixed with the traditional Zigger Zagger, Sloops John B with a third verse about gnomes, John Denver, a couple of songs entirely exclusive to Barrow, two from abroad that were introduced long before they were sang on any other terraces in the UK. Had Jack Hindle scored, we'd have added Kasabian. Fairly innovative for your average football support I'd say. Players seem to like it.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:53 pm
by Lancaster Branch
pjdaly wrote: ↑Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm
They'll all be bringing bunches of flowers to matches if we don't toughen things up a bit.
Might be a goer if we get some songs set to The Smiths or Morrissey songs.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:58 pm
by Jim
For the older supporter, how about something by Val Doonican. I am sure something could be created from one of: Paddy McGinty's Goat, O'Rafferty's Motor Car or Delaney's Donkey. And what about "I'm goin' to get there some time" - surely an anthem for Barrow.
Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:20 pm
by barrowaberdeen
I have listened to worse suggestions

Though 30 seconds of Paddy McGinty's goat wasn't time well spent

Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm
by Steelworks End
Who remembers singing "Yellow Submarine"? Made famous by a bunch of Scousers - "We all live at the back of Holker Street".
Or "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" by the aforementioned scallies - "Desmond watches Barrow from the Holker End, Molly has a seat up in the stand".
And of course as pjdaly mentions, "Daisy Daisy" - could go on for ages, that one.
Oh, we could hold a tune back in the day. Or not, as the case may have been.

Re: HARTLEPOOL V BARROW MATCH THREAD
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 pm
by barrowfan_chris
Steelworks End wrote: ↑Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm
Who remembers singing "Yellow Submarine"? Made famous by a bunch of Scousers - "We all live at the back of Holker Street".
This is still sung at quite a few games?