Official site article
Re: Official site article
This Is What Happens When You Dispense With A Professional Commercial Manager And Put A Schoolteacher In Charge Of Marketing
-
Ziggerzagger
- Member
- Posts: 243
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm
- Location: Dalton In Furness--gods country
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
Martin Lewis did a sterling job during his tenure and I doubt he will ever be replaced nor his efforts and professionalism recognised.The club is,commercially,an embarrassment and the day to day running of it along with the shop and shirt debacles does not make good reading.If the K**ns ran their business like they allow the commercial side of Barrow AFC to be run then they would lose custom fast and soon see their profits diminish.For some reason they choose,along with the other BOD members to allow this to happen.
Couple this along with the dross that we are served up on the pitch at Holker Street,the treatment given to players by management and the whole economic climate and you wonder why they cant understand where the fans have gone?When long time fans see the club being run down it hurts as they cant control that--its not all about what goes on on the pitch and I think a lot of the stay away fans have earned the right to stay away.I ll be there tomorrow with my lad again,spending my weekly £20 allowance from my wages at the club.At least I can now save a few quid and buy us both a hot dog now the kids are free.Ive had my moan,it wont change things,it wont make me feel any better but thats the way it is i guess.
Couple this along with the dross that we are served up on the pitch at Holker Street,the treatment given to players by management and the whole economic climate and you wonder why they cant understand where the fans have gone?When long time fans see the club being run down it hurts as they cant control that--its not all about what goes on on the pitch and I think a lot of the stay away fans have earned the right to stay away.I ll be there tomorrow with my lad again,spending my weekly £20 allowance from my wages at the club.At least I can now save a few quid and buy us both a hot dog now the kids are free.Ive had my moan,it wont change things,it wont make me feel any better but thats the way it is i guess.
Re: Official site article
Really !!!
-
bafcdirect
- Member
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 am
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:John McKay strikes again.
Two people putting two and two together making five.Spanner wrote:This Is What Happens When You Dispense With A Professional Commercial Manager And Put A Schoolteacher In Charge Of Marketing
How wrong you both are!!!
On all accounts both statements are incorrect.
John Mackay
Re: Official site article
That's bit harsh, isn't it? And I'd put money on someone else writing the articles in question.Spanner wrote:This Is What Happens When You Dispense With A Professional Commercial Manager And Put A Schoolteacher In Charge Of Marketing
The club have appointed a part-time replacement for Martin Lewis, although you wouldn't know it from the club's website (assuming he's still working for the club, has anyone had any dealings with him?).
Re: Official site article
I'm absolutely astounded that anyone can even attempt to defend that article, only just seen the "where are you now?" picture that goes with it. Embarrassing, sort it out for [SwearFilter] sake.
Stop banging on and on at people for not attending and they might actually come back. The way the club are going about it is actually having the reverse effect and just [SwearFilter] people off.
Stop banging on and on at people for not attending and they might actually come back. The way the club are going about it is actually having the reverse effect and just [SwearFilter] people off.
-
GTBLUE
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5238
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
- Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
Have to agree again Kieran. Us lot that go regardless will carry on going whatever happens. The ones that choose to go when it suits them, ie Wembley etc will still go when it suits them. So, slagging them off on the "OFFICIAL WEBSITE" is not going to get them rushing through the turnstiles anytime soon, is it. P.R died today at Holker Street.... Again!!!!Kieran wrote:I'm absolutely astounded that anyone can even attempt to defend that article, only just seen the "where are you now?" picture that goes with it. Embarrassing, sort it out for [SwearFilter] sake.
Stop banging on and on at people for not attending and they might actually come back. The way the club are going about it is actually having the reverse effect and just [SwearFilter] people off.
Re: Official site article
Johnbafcdirect wrote:The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:John McKay strikes again.Two people putting two and two together making five.Spanner wrote:This Is What Happens When You Dispense With A Professional Commercial Manager And Put A Schoolteacher In Charge Of Marketing
How wrong you both are!!!
On all accounts both statements are incorrect.
John Mackay
In that case I apologise for a mistaken assumption and any offence caused.
As a BAFC member though, I am deeply concerned by the approach and attitude that the club takes towards its potential customers, as demonstrated by the article in question. I particularly feel that the negativity and critical tone towards 'stay away' fans merely serves to alienate potential customers and the Furness community as a whole.
As a board member accountable to BAFC members such as me for the running of our club, please could you answer the following questions...
1. Who on the board has overall accountability for how the club markets itself?
2. Who on the board signed off this particular article for publication. If no-one then who wrote and published it, and was this done with the board's permission?
3. Do the board believe that the tone and content of the article are an effective way of encouraging customers to Holker St?
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
John McKay is a hard working member of the board putting in many hours during the week getting jobs done and sorting things out which aren't noticable to the fans. Not living locally he often stays overnight to give himself more time to be at the club.
I spend approximately 12 hours a week at the club during the day and it surprised me the amount of work that does go on and the efforts that are made against the odds, to keep the place running.
It must be disappointing and depressing to see only complaints on this forum despite trying your best.
There are some who appreciate it and thank you John.
I spend approximately 12 hours a week at the club during the day and it surprised me the amount of work that does go on and the efforts that are made against the odds, to keep the place running.
It must be disappointing and depressing to see only complaints on this forum despite trying your best.
There are some who appreciate it and thank you John.
-
GTBLUE
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5238
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
- Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
It's nothing to do with how much time people spend at the club Elaine and we all know how much time John spends there. He tell's us all the time (only joking John) It's about the wording of the article, simple as that. As for you being there 12 hours a week Elaine, your medal is in the post.
Serously though, good on you.
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4102
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
I have to agree with Kieran on this one and I've been saying for a long time, begging doesn't work and slagging the people that don't come isn't going to work - but this has been the clubs marketing strategy as far back as Tony Keen's column in the Evening Mail. It's the lazy way and the wrong way.
You need to be proactive
- sell tickets for games in advance in shops, workplaces, local market, online
- Massive posters around town, billboards on the way into town.
- Events on match days (fun events in the study centre for kids) - the whole match day experience has to be improved.
- Get pushing the corporate again (they stopped revealing the number a while ago) - some of the people that come on these things are not always regular fans but we need to welcome them into the Barrow AFC family.
- Special deals on tickets. I know people say we can't afford this but we need to think outside the box - taking a chance on this might actually help create new fans. Maybe getting a sponsor to make up any shortfall if you have a crowd of 1000 thats 1000 potential customers for some local business - so use that to our advantage and allow companies to do promotions on matchdays - I've not seen anything for Coral our main sponsor this season - are we missing a trick here.
- Lets have a ladies day - let all women in for free for one match - I know some clubs did that for Mothers Day - how many women actually come - and if we did this for one match who knows we might create some new fans.
for some reason the people of Barrow have fallen out with the club ( or is it just about the money ) we need to build bridges - but I do think the rot set in as far back as last close season and we can't make the same mistakes this summer the club needs to be a hive of activity this year. Maybe 1000 tickets for 10 quid sold in advance for the first game of the season.
I'm not a marketing expert far from it so I would try and link up with Furness College they will have Marketing students that would jump at a chance to get their teeth into a project like this.
I'm not calling anyone at the club because they do some great work and that is appreciated but we do need a professional commercial manager or general manager to run things or the club needs to start accepting help if is offered in this area.
I cetainly appreciate the work that John does at the club it is commendable and hats off to him for at least coming on here and answering fans emails and messages.
You need to be proactive
- sell tickets for games in advance in shops, workplaces, local market, online
- Massive posters around town, billboards on the way into town.
- Events on match days (fun events in the study centre for kids) - the whole match day experience has to be improved.
- Get pushing the corporate again (they stopped revealing the number a while ago) - some of the people that come on these things are not always regular fans but we need to welcome them into the Barrow AFC family.
- Special deals on tickets. I know people say we can't afford this but we need to think outside the box - taking a chance on this might actually help create new fans. Maybe getting a sponsor to make up any shortfall if you have a crowd of 1000 thats 1000 potential customers for some local business - so use that to our advantage and allow companies to do promotions on matchdays - I've not seen anything for Coral our main sponsor this season - are we missing a trick here.
- Lets have a ladies day - let all women in for free for one match - I know some clubs did that for Mothers Day - how many women actually come - and if we did this for one match who knows we might create some new fans.
for some reason the people of Barrow have fallen out with the club ( or is it just about the money ) we need to build bridges - but I do think the rot set in as far back as last close season and we can't make the same mistakes this summer the club needs to be a hive of activity this year. Maybe 1000 tickets for 10 quid sold in advance for the first game of the season.
I'm not a marketing expert far from it so I would try and link up with Furness College they will have Marketing students that would jump at a chance to get their teeth into a project like this.
I'm not calling anyone at the club because they do some great work and that is appreciated but we do need a professional commercial manager or general manager to run things or the club needs to start accepting help if is offered in this area.
I cetainly appreciate the work that John does at the club it is commendable and hats off to him for at least coming on here and answering fans emails and messages.
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
It's the jobs he carries out while he is at the club I was talking about. He was named as the person writing the article and that person has apologised but why would anyone jump to conclusions as to who wrote it beats me.GTBLUE wrote:It's nothing to do with how much time people spend at the club Elaine and we all know how much time John spends there. He tell's us all the time (only joking John) It's about the wording of the article, simple as that. As for you being there 12 hours a week Elaine, your medal is in the post.Serously though, good on you.
I think the club should do away with the Official website as everyone knows the unofficial one has the most people "in the know" anyway.
That could save us a bit of money.
What time does the postman deliver I wonder I might have to change my user name to Ladybird after my investiture.
Got face in the crowd too in the EM. If you are a season ticket holder can you have the dosh instead? Hahahahaha
-
GTBLUE
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5238
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
- Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
Saw the photo Elaine. Maybe you could sell the tickets on e-bay. You might start a bidding war............Then again, probably notHolkerbird wrote:It's the jobs he carries out while he is at the club I was talking about. He was named as the person writing the article and that person has apologised but why would anyone jump to conclusions as to who wrote it beats me.GTBLUE wrote:It's nothing to do with how much time people spend at the club Elaine and we all know how much time John spends there. He tell's us all the time (only joking John) It's about the wording of the article, simple as that. As for you being there 12 hours a week Elaine, your medal is in the post.Serously though, good on you.
I think the club should do away with the Official website as everyone knows the unofficial one has the most people "in the know" anyway.
That could save us a bit of money.
What time does the postman deliver I wonder I might have to change my user name to Ladybird after my investiture.
Got face in the crowd too in the EM. If you are a season ticket holder can you have the dosh instead? Hahahahaha
-
Barrowabc
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2203
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:14 am
- Location: Newbarns lodge
- Contact:
Re: Official site article
Really like this post a lot as he's not having a pop, if anything he's trying to help some very good points.Bingo wrote:I have to agree with Kieran on this one and I've been saying for a long time, begging doesn't work and slagging the people that don't come isn't going to work - but this has been the clubs marketing strategy as far back as Tony Keen's column in the Evening Mail. It's the lazy way and the wrong way.
You need to be proactive
- sell tickets for games in advance in shops, workplaces, local market, online
- Massive posters around town, billboards on the way into town.
- Events on match days (fun events in the study centre for kids) - the whole match day experience has to be improved.
- Get pushing the corporate again (they stopped revealing the number a while ago) - some of the people that come on these things are not always regular fans but we need to welcome them into the Barrow AFC family.
- Special deals on tickets. I know people say we can't afford this but we need to think outside the box - taking a chance on this might actually help create new fans. Maybe getting a sponsor to make up any shortfall if you have a crowd of 1000 thats 1000 potential customers for some local business - so use that to our advantage and allow companies to do promotions on matchdays - I've not seen anything for Coral our main sponsor this season - are we missing a trick here.
- Lets have a ladies day - let all women in for free for one match - I know some clubs did that for Mothers Day - how many women actually come - and if we did this for one match who knows we might create some new fans.
for some reason the people of Barrow have fallen out with the club ( or is it just about the money ) we need to build bridges - but I do think the rot set in as far back as last close season and we can't make the same mistakes this summer the club needs to be a hive of activity this year. Maybe 1000 tickets for 10 quid sold in advance for the first game of the season.
I'm not a marketing expert far from it so I would try and link up with Furness College they will have Marketing students that would jump at a chance to get their teeth into a project like this.
I'm not calling anyone at the club because they do some great work and that is appreciated but we do need a professional commercial manager or general manager to run things or the club needs to start accepting help if is offered in this area.
I cetainly appreciate the work that John does at the club it is commendable and hats off to him for at least coming on here and answering fans emails and messages.
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash
Re: Official site article
If asked NWEM will donate Face in the Crowd prize to BDF.
THE NORTHERN WAY
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bluebirds Trust, Bohemians Praha 1905 and 33 guests