Origins of the club

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
barrowaberdeen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9034
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Independent Newbarns

Origins of the club

Post by barrowaberdeen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm sure expert Barra Soccer historians will be along in seconds to get this right re origins of the club.

I thought it was Scots who formed the club, Barrowfan Chris says Geordies, this says a pub landlord..anyone?

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/barrow/



Just curious- also to the exact location of the old grounds pre H.S..

User avatar
Steelworks End
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Steelworks End » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 pm

The Strawberry Ground still exists, and is used by Furness RUFC. It's off Abbey Road, just passed Valley Drive.

There was a thread some time ago about the location of the Ainslie Street ground; as I recall, no-one was really certain exactly where it was.

Little Park has been lost beneath the housing estates in the Yarlside / Holbeck area; again, the above thread (which someone may be able to find) discussed this. Also, there may be some information on this venue from the Barrow Raiders' history buffs.

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Suffolk Blue » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Am intrigued that no-one seems to be sure where the Ainslie Street ground was.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why that is. Surely if we know we played there must be some record or archive of where the ground was. Or has this been lost in time?
I guess a look at an ordnance survey map for the time would give a clue. I do know that the houses on the station side of Ainslie street date from the 1870s and as I was born in Kendal Street I know that the houses around Oxford Street, Lancaster Street Harrogate street and Titchfield Street are late Victorian.

My father who was born in 1914 could remember the playing field next to St Matthews Church as a reservoir in his youth. So that suggests the most likely place for a ground at that time would be closer to Schneider road and the obvious place from my youth that comes to mind is the housing estate next to the railway line that used to be known as the "Griffin". However when I was a kid I remember it as something of a wilderness.

Any club historians out there?

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 pm

Newby terrace?

Bingo
Platinum Member
Posts: 4102
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
Location: Failsworth, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Bingo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Isn't it behind Ainslee street at the top end bordered by Newport street, hereford street and Newby terrace

If you look at a map you can see the big grassed area - I'm sure this is the site of it

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 pm

boyliegladbach wrote:Newby terrace?
That'd was my first thought but thinking about it, was that not a reservoir. I would assume most of Ainslie Street's houses have been there a long, long time apart from where Suffolk Blue mentions - the Griffin.

PJDaly will be the man to answer this!
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
boyliegladbach wrote:Newby terrace?
That'd was my first thought but thinking about it, was that not a reservoir. I would assume most of Ainslie Street's houses have been there a long, long time apart from where Suffolk Blue mentions - the Griffin.

PJDaly will be the man to answer this!
Might well of been as there's a street called resovoir Street next to it I think.

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Holkerbird » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:43 am

Wasn't it in the area behind what is now Burn's undertakers office and previously a garage on Ainslie St. I think it was decided in a discussion on here some time ago that that is where it was.
There are about 4 houses and then an area that has been taken up by the tyre fitters and a garage and Burn's so it seems this space would have been the location.

Hadrian
Platinum Member
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Hadrian » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:06 am

Different accounts suggest various groups were involved in coming together to form a professional outfit in Barrow; some mention Geordies, others Tynesiders. The original black and white strip may lend some credence to the latter (but bear in mind that this was before the invention of colour...).

Newby Terrace was indeed the site of a reservoir; Barrow's temporary ground on Ainslie Street was to the west of Ainslie Street on the site of a tip (as was Holker Street, incidentally) and the soil cover was said to be so thin that players were at risk from debris poking through.

It is possible that 'our' Strawberry Ground was on a different alignment to the current Furness ground; my cousin's husband, Jimmy Jones, was landlord at The Strawberry for a while and his understanding was that teams changed there in the space above the stables to the rear of the hotel (the building still exists).

Old maps may help but they were not updated anywhere near as regularly as nowadays so a ground on use for but a few years may have come and gone between issues unless it continued for another organisation.
THE NORTHERN WAY

User avatar
Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7481
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: The Blue Planet
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Wintergreen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:53 am

The Strawberry Gardens Hotel opened in 1866. In 1880 it was demolished and rebuilt for £850 to allow Abbey Road to be widened; the council perhaps acting with great foresight and a good degree of optimism in expectation of bumper crowds arriving by tram to watch the soccer.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...

Shaun
Gold Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Shaun » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure someone posted a photo a good while back that showed what appeared to be the Strawberry Ground entrance on the corner across from The Strawberry pub...the corner that is now car showroom stuff....the corner across Hollow Lane...on the same side of Abbey Rd as The Strawberry pub.
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by SKIPPER » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Can't shed any light on the origins but just to mention a couple of snippets.
I used to live in Gosport Street adjacent to the grassy area known by all as the 'Res', my kids playground for much of their early childhood. Isn't it now the ground of a local club ? However I've delved even further back in my distant memories to the early 60's when I am almost certain I went to a showing of a World Cup film in a 'clubhouse' on the Newby Terrace side of the field ( I think it was Holker COB as they were then known but memory might be playing tricks). Wonder if any old-timers can shed any light ?

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by Holkerbird » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:17 pm

That clubhouse on Newby Terrace was originally the school canteen for Victoria Junior school.
We held our meal in there on the Queen's Coronation day as it was a wet day.
I remember when they drained the reservoir as it had a massive plug in it and they had a deep sea diver in full gear attaching the chains for the crane to lift it out.
The place was full of frogs and toads and the area was over run with them for years.

User avatar
dodger
Senior Member
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by dodger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:22 pm

I can't remember Holker ever playing at the " Ressa". I started playing for Holker around 1965-6 and we played on the pitch that was the Tech school playing fields and from there went up to Rakesmoor Which was previously an isolation hospital! I also just about lived at the Ressa from around 1960 and there would be as many as 30-40 lads playing there every weekend and summer evenings ( No goalposts just jackets!!!)! Victoria school did start using this but the building at Newby Terrace used to be a canteen! Barrow Celtic moved from playing in the Park up to the Ressa perhaps around the 1980's and I think are still there now!

SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Origins of the club

Post by SKIPPER » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for that lads (and lasses). I know it was organised by a football club. Can only assume it was someone just using a free building. I was only about 12-13 at the time but can remember distinctly where it was if not any greater detail.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests