Next Season

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Post Reply
Barrow81trfc
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 pm
Contact:

Next Season

Post by Barrow81trfc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Tranmere fan here, Live in Barrow, I go the odd Barrow game including Stockport yesterday, Think Barrow will go up No problem, Am looking forward to visiting this ground next season with the rovers.

mickmike wilson
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by mickmike wilson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Welcome to Holker St, Out of interest, How many BAFC have you been too?

User avatar
Moonwatcher
Senior Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by Moonwatcher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Oh dear. You sound like you're resigned to Rovers dropping through the dreaded trapdoor! Be good to have another northern team in the Conference, but I've always had a soft spot for Tranmere, with half my family coming from Birkenhead, so I hope they can escape. It's tight at the bottom of L2, and there's a few teams still in the mix.

Barrow81trfc
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by Barrow81trfc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Probably been to about 6/7 games mick and Moonwatcher we don't deserve to stay up we have been really bad this season, There are a good few TRFC fans living in Barrow i see them in town with their Rovers shirts on.

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by barrowfan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:Be good to have another northern team in the Conference.
Carlisle? Are they far enough north?

JimmyCrabstick
Gold Member
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Thornton-Cleveleys
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by JimmyCrabstick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I remember Tranmere being at Wembley the same weekend as us in 1990. I think they played on the Sunday. Must have been the Leyland Daf Trophy or something??? Their fans seemed OK. Well the ones I spoke to were.
Northern Lights, Ormsgill Reservoir Sundown

User avatar
Moonwatcher
Senior Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by Moonwatcher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:45 pm

barrowfan wrote:
Moonwatcher wrote:Be good to have another northern team in the Conference.
Carlisle? Are they far enough north?
They're still deep in the mire too aren't they? I think they'll just have enough to stay up, but you never know. They're a bit too "northern" though - stick 'em in the Scottish Lowland League!

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by barrowfan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:
barrowfan wrote: Carlisle? Are they far enough north?
They're a bit too "northern" though - stick 'em in the Scottish Lowland League!
Like it!

ziggy
Bronze Member
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by ziggy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 am

There will be an uncanny coincidence should Tranmere drop down. When we were promoted from the 4th Div to the 3rd in 1967/68 the top four promoted clubs were Stockport, Southport, Barrow and Tranmere. Now all four could be playing non league football together.
I remember in those days Tranmere had a really good striker, George Yardley, used to terrify the 3rd and 4th Div defenders,
I think at the end of his career he turned out for Alty, yet another coincidence.
They also had a good keeper in Jim Cumbes (second only to our Fred Else) who was also a county cricketer for Lancashire and Worcestershire

User avatar
Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7481
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: The Blue Planet
Contact:

Re: Next Season

Post by Wintergreen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:28 am

Good post ziggy, I'm glad some remembers al this kind of fascinating stuff cos I can't! I think I saw Jim Coombes on Look North West a while back acting as a spokesman for Lancashire Cricket. He always reminded me of Arsenal's Bob Wilson as I seem to recall.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blue nige, grammaroldboy, Thetopcat and 37 guests