Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Jonty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:49 pm

barrowaberdeen wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 pm I think we might be at a tipping point though if we get a few more results- a lot of people speaking very positively about the team in the town.
While the going is good Steve and long may it continue, but the challenge is getting the 1200 into 1500, 1750, 2000 permanently. Win lose or draw.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by barrowfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Wonder how many fans are needed to balance the books?

Jo am back
Bronze Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Jo am back » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am

mall wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:10 pm
Alley_Cat wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I completely agree with you Rob. I’m baffled that this is not bringing the punters in to HS though, it can’t be all down to the crumbling facilities?
I’d be expecting 1400/1500 with this level of football not 1200...
Theirs no money in the town-area, thats why.
Thats rubbish theres plenty of money in the town. Went to our away game at Hartlepool,similar size town to Barrow,similar economic situation yet theres 3,000 Hartlepool fans there every weak,why ?

Jo am back
Bronze Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Jo am back » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 am

The Tomahawk Kid wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:21 pm
barrowfan wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm The consensus seems to be that the football at HS is the best for years so we and the Mail should be shouting it from the rooftops.

I kind of take your point about if we were in the Football League, but surely whatever league we are in people want to be entertained and if they come now they will see that the team is giving good value for spectators' money.

Let's sell it, not come up with excuses.
I agree with you regarding the entertainment value - but you're preaching to the converted.

I know many people who won't set foot in Holker Street until we're back in the Football League - they've actually stated that fact to myself and others.

Also; entertainment value opposed to winning games could be a deciding factor.
Many people like to support a winning team.
Can honestly say I’ve encouraged many friends,work colleagues over the years to attend holker st, Ive never heard one say that we had to be back in the F L before they would go.

Hadrian
Platinum Member
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Hadrian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 am

TaylorBAFC wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:24 pm Sadly, some people are content with watching the Premier League clubs on the TV; sitting in front of Soccer Saturday on a Saturday instead of watching their local team.
As usual, these things are never simple to establish a single reason but you are quite right - the impact of tv over the last couple of decades has been significant. People will happily spend more than the local non-league team's admission fee in a pub while watching an illegal transmission with Arabic or East European commentary.
barrowaberdeen wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 pm I think we might be at a tipping point though if we get a few more results- a lot of people speaking very positively about the team in the town.
That's good to hear and should surely have an effect on gates in due course, overcoming some of the negativity from the grumblers and those naysayers who have made it the mission of their sad lives to put down all that the club do, just because they can.
THE NORTHERN WAY

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am

Jo am back wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am
mall wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:10 pm
Theirs no money in the town-area, thats why.
Thats rubbish theres plenty of money in the town. Went to our away game at Hartlepool,similar size town to Barrow,similar economic situation yet theres 3,000 Hartlepool fans there every weak,why ?
Its not rubbish at all. Their is more to it than similar size. Local culture and history has to be taken into account. You say theirs plenty of money in the town, their might be-but its not being spent in the bloody town. As I've said times have changed and will continue to do so. All this money you talk about is being spent by yard workers young and old on flash cars that they will never own and, in a lot of cases, will also be mortgaged up to the back teeth accounting for a big chunk of disposable income (probably dont even know what a council house is/was) -this is what I mean by times have changed. Their are a lot of lazy basteds out their now that pay gym memberships because its fashionable to do so and who will then go parading around Witherspoons and the like with a Man utd or Liverpool shirt on-then its of to Manchester to shop, or buy online. All this nonsense about people will go if we get into the football league is just that-nonsense-. If they were really interested they would be their now. The cold hard fact is that they are not interested and never will be. This generation of people now that worship premiership football on electronic devises and run around in fast cars have little or no interest in Barra soccer and never will have, we are a sideshow and a joke in a town that is very sympathetic to its rugby club who happen to be on the bones of their arse-thats where peoples real allegiances lie in this town at crazy park.
Last edited by mall on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:40 am

The Tomahawk Kid wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:21 pm
barrowfan wrote: ↑Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm The consensus seems to be that the football at HS is the best for years so we and the Mail should be shouting it from the rooftops.

I kind of take your point about if we were in the Football League, but surely whatever league we are in people want to be entertained and if they come now they will see that the team is giving good value for spectators' money.

Let's sell it, not come up with excuses.
I agree with you regarding the entertainment value - but you're preaching to the converted.

I know many people who won't set foot in Holker Street until we're back in the Football League - they've actually stated that fact to myself and others.

Also; entertainment value opposed to winning games could be a deciding factor.
Many people like to support a winning team.
"I know many people who won't set foot in Holker Street until we're back in the Football League - they've actually stated that fact to myself and others".
And you believe them do you ?....It seems to me that you've spent far too much time on a banana boat.

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Do I believe them? Yes I do - because they are friends who used to stand on The Holker End with me watching the team play in the old 3rd and 4th division of the FL.

Those friends know others who've also stated they won't return until we're back in the FL.
It's their choice.


Could you explain what you mean by: 'It seems to me that you've spent far too much time on a banana boat'... :?
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

User avatar
Lowtower
Silver Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Lowtower » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

mall wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am
Jo am back wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am Thats rubbish theres plenty of money in the town. Went to our away game at Hartlepool,similar size town to Barrow,similar economic situation yet theres 3,000 Hartlepool fans there every weak,why ?
Its not rubbish at all. Their is more to it than similar size. Local culture and history has to be taken into account. You say theirs plenty of money in the town, their might be-but its not being spent in the bloody town. As I've said times have changed and will continue to do so. All this money you talk about is being spent by yard workers young and old on flash cars that they will never own and, in a lot of cases, will also be mortgaged up to the back teeth accounting for a big chunk of disposable income (probably dont even know what a council house is/was) -this is what I mean by times have changed. Their are a lot of lazy basteds out their now that pay gym memberships because its fashionable to do so and who will then go parading around Witherspoons and the like with a Man utd or Liverpool shirt on-then its of to Manchester to shop, or buy online. All this nonsense about people will go if we get into the football league is just that-nonsense-. If they were really interested they would be their now. The cold hard fact is that they are not interested and never will be. This generation of people now that worship premiership football on electronic devises and run around in fast cars have little or no interest in Barra soccer and never will have, we are a sideshow and a joke in a town that is very sympathetic to its rugby club who happen to be on the bones of their arse-thats where peoples real allegiances lie in this town at crazy park.
+1

When I was a lad we had the ol' horse and cart, none of this fast car rubbish. Mortgages ! Mortgages ? I spit on em, I tells ya. Bloody youth of today wanting things, I'd be lucky if mother gave me 2 meals a day when I was a lad.

Anyways, I'm off out up ta hills, anyone seen my Kestrel ?

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

The Tomahawk Kid wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm Do I believe them? Yes I do - because they are friends who used to stand on The Holker End with me watching the team play in the old 3rd and 4th division of the FL.

Those friends know others who've also stated they won't return until we're back in the FL.
It's their choice.


Could you explain what you mean by: 'It seems to me that you've spent far too much time on a banana boat'... :?
with pleasure...Green ...Cabbage looking.

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Lowtower wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm
mall wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am
Its not rubbish at all. Their is more to it than similar size. Local culture and history has to be taken into account. You say theirs plenty of money in the town, their might be-but its not being spent in the bloody town. As I've said times have changed and will continue to do so. All this money you talk about is being spent by yard workers young and old on flash cars that they will never own and, in a lot of cases, will also be mortgaged up to the back teeth accounting for a big chunk of disposable income (probably dont even know what a council house is/was) -this is what I mean by times have changed. Their are a lot of lazy basteds out their now that pay gym memberships because its fashionable to do so and who will then go parading around Witherspoons and the like with a Man utd or Liverpool shirt on-then its of to Manchester to shop, or buy online. All this nonsense about people will go if we get into the football league is just that-nonsense-. If they were really interested they would be their now. The cold hard fact is that they are not interested and never will be. This generation of people now that worship premiership football on electronic devises and run around in fast cars have little or no interest in Barra soccer and never will have, we are a sideshow and a joke in a town that is very sympathetic to its rugby club who happen to be on the bones of their arse-thats where peoples real allegiances lie in this town at crazy park.
+1

When I was a lad we had the ol' horse and cart, none of this fast car rubbish. Mortgages ! Mortgages ? I spit on em, I tells ya. Bloody youth of today wanting things, I'd be lucky if mother gave me 2 meals a day when I was a lad.

Anyways, I'm off out up ta hills, anyone seen my Kestrel ?
draw blood did I ?.

User avatar
Lowtower
Silver Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by Lowtower » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:38 am

mall wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm
Lowtower wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

+1

When I was a lad we had the ol' horse and cart, none of this fast car rubbish. Mortgages ! Mortgages ? I spit on em, I tells ya. Bloody youth of today wanting things, I'd be lucky if mother gave me 2 meals a day when I was a lad.

Anyways, I'm off out up ta hills, anyone seen my Kestrel ?
draw blood did I ?.
Nah, was just mocking you my narrow minded little friend x

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mall » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Lowtower wrote: ↑Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:38 am
mall wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm
draw blood did I ?.
Nah, was just mocking you my narrow minded little friend x
Far from narrow minded pal-have been around long enough now to have met such people as yourself who talk out of their arse when faced with reality.

mickmike wilson
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by mickmike wilson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm

mall wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am
Jo am back wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am Thats rubbish theres plenty of money in the town. Went to our away game at Hartlepool,similar size town to Barrow,similar economic situation yet theres 3,000 Hartlepool fans there every weak,why ?
Its not rubbish at all. Their is more to it than similar size. Local culture and history has to be taken into account. You say theirs plenty of money in the town, their might be-but its not being spent in the bloody town. As I've said times have changed and will continue to do so. All this money you talk about is being spent by yard workers young and old on flash cars that they will never own and, in a lot of cases, will also be mortgaged up to the back teeth accounting for a big chunk of disposable income (probably dont even know what a council house is/was) -this is what I mean by times have changed. Their are a lot of lazy basteds out their now that pay gym memberships because its fashionable to do so and who will then go parading around Witherspoons and the like with a Man utd or Liverpool shirt on-then its of to Manchester to shop, or buy online. All this nonsense about people will go if we get into the football league is just that-nonsense-. If they were really interested they would be their now. The cold hard fact is that they are not interested and never will be. This generation of people now that worship premiership football on electronic devises and run around in fast cars have little or no interest in Barra soccer and never will have, we are a sideshow and a joke in a town that is very sympathetic to its rugby club who happen to be on the bones of their arse-thats where peoples real allegiances lie in this town at crazy park.
If Pools has spend the vast majority of time since 72/73 in the glue leagues with zero chance of regaining their league status due to the closed shop & the odd flit into the NL Nationals then id guess they would have similar gates to ours.

JammyBluebird
Silver Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Best for 50 years? In some ways, YES

Post by JammyBluebird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 am

One of the things I think holds attendance back is local football kicking off at 2pm. Most of the enthusiastic younger people that I meet don't watch Barrow because they would have to give up playing football.
Last edited by JammyBluebird on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests