Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Post Reply
Bingo
Platinum Member
Posts: 4100
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
Location: Failsworth, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Owner - Paul Hornby

Post by Bingo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

PerthBluebird wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am Goes after we exit the fa cup how appropriate now the possibility of money coming in through a cup run has stopped the mans a fraud. I hope the hornbys notice how many people on here have great ideas that could help the club and get these people on board. We have been through worse we are all barrow are nt we!
People have had great ideas for 30 years probably more the club is useless at generating money its virtually impossible to spend money shame the Cassons didn't invest into money generating projects. Let's see what the new owners can do
Last edited by Bingo on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Owner - Paul Hornby

Post by russell_anderson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:39 pm

BoltonBlue wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm
russell_anderson wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:13 am I can't see how a local chartered accountancy company can possibly have the financial resources to support a National League club.
You obviously have no idea about Paul Hornby. Things will be undoubtedly more shrewed, intelligently & professionally run now. Watch this space.
No I don't but I do know it takes a hell of a lot of money to back a National League Football Club and that you won't generate enough to do it from supporters! If it didn't Paul Casson would still be running the club! Paul Hornby may well be much more shrewd but that won't help without money and, as has been shown by Barrow Rugby. Their costs are much lower and their organisation is much better but they are still almost bankrupt!
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro
Platinum Member
Posts: 3489
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Club Statement: New Owner - Paul Hornby

Post by Pedro » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm

russell_anderson wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:39 pm
BoltonBlue wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm

You obviously have no idea about Paul Hornby. Things will be undoubtedly more shrewed, intelligently & professionally run now. Watch this space.
No I don't but I do know it takes a hell of a lot of money to back a National League Football Club and that you won't generate enough to do it from supporters! If it didn't Paul Casson would still be running the club!
The other problem is the Manager or players could be poached whilst in this transitional period

User avatar
Lowtower
Silver Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Owner - Paul Hornby

Post by Lowtower » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Bingo wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm
PerthBluebird wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am Goes after we exit the fa cup how appropriate now the possibility of money coming in through a cup run has stopped the mans a fraud. I hope the hornbys notice how many people on here have great ideas that could help the club and get these people on board. We have been through worse we are all barrow are nt we!
People have had great ideas for 30 years probably more the club is useless at generating money its virtually impossible to spend money shame the Cassons didn't invest into money generating projects. Let's see what the new owners can do
His fiscal year report must be bad to drop us this soon afterwards.

Didn't Andrews statement say that Casson had put money to one side for this season ? Does that still stand ?

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by russell_anderson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm sure Paul Casson had the best of intentions when he bought the club. However, it's been obvious to many of us for quite a time that he no longer had the resources to support the club. I've been expecting this announcement since the time he disposed of Paul Cox. In fact, he's continued a fair bit longer than I thought he would. Whether he ever had the resources to support the club but had no idea of the cost involved or whether he once did but his company has hit hard times, I haven't a clue. I suspect he's spent an awful lot of money but what he's spent would still be small to the outlay needed for all the grand ground plans he proposed when he first arrived. The only slight hope of us ever having a competitive team of National League level would be if one or more of the big firms mentioned by some others previously were to become backers but I'd be very surprised if that happened. Most of the big backers of clubs at this level are people with very substantial assets who also have a local interest and these type of people seem to be few and far between in Barrow.


Colin Appleton
Senior Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by Colin Appleton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Any person who has put money into their home town club has got to be thanked. When you consider the Casson's are reported to have invested around £4 million pounds that's one hell of a commitment. The only thing they did wrong was promise too much. If they'd come in and said we'll get the club promoted, go full time, get new floodlights and a new pitch and also improve the Cross Bar we'd have all been delighted. A Chairman of a football league club once said to me the greatest lesson he'd learned from being involved in the game was if you want to put money into a club you sponsor it rather than own it. When you sponsor it you always know how much you're going to spend each season. I get the impression maybe the Cassons' American business isn't doing as well as it once was. If that's the case he won't be able to claim any Tax Relief from having a football club that's always going to lose money. The same think happened with Rushden and Diamonds owner Max Griggs a few years ago. My fear is can a local consortium afford to run a full time team ? I think it's inevitable we'll be Part-time next season.

User avatar
Bigfathoss
Platinum Member
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by Bigfathoss » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm

The mind boggles and I wish I could say I were surprised at the absolute ingrates that are spouting off. I'm amazed that the Casson family have continued for quite as long as they have done. It's a constant bleed on their own finances to keep the club afloat, and it was never going to be a permanent solution. I totally agree that naivety, with regards to what would be needed and what could be achieved, has played it's part but naivety doesn't warrant the slagging off that they have been subject to. When someone has done their best then their efforts should be thanked.
It's a shame that the enterprise hasn't paid off in the way that they had hoped, I would like to think that they can walk away with some good memories and the knowledge that they 'did their bit'. They did MORE than their bit in my opinion.
Good luck to the Cassons. Good luck to any Hornby led consortium or any other arrangement. Good luck to ANY efforts that will keep our club going at this level.
A=A
Your life, is YOUR life. Live it.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by spirit of 1990 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Bigfathoss wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm The mind boggles and I wish I could say I were surprised at the absolute ingrates that are spouting off. I'm amazed that the Casson family have continued for quite as long as they have done. It's a constant bleed on their own finances to keep the club afloat, and it was never going to be a permanent solution. I totally agree that naivety, with regards to what would be needed and what could be achieved, has played it's part but naivety doesn't warrant the slagging off that they have been subject to. When someone has done their best then their efforts should be thanked.
It's a shame that the enterprise hasn't paid off in the way that they had hoped, I would like to think that they can walk away with some good memories and the knowledge that they 'did their bit'. They did MORE than their bit in my opinion.
Good luck to the Cassons. Good luck to any Hornby led consortium or any other arrangement. Good luck to ANY efforts that will keep our club going at this level.
That’s a good post Hoss.

There’s been things done that could’ve been done much better, there’s no doubt about that, but Paul stumped up probably more than £4m to do things how he thought was the right way. I think to most it didn’t make sense but it was his money, his club and he did what he thought was right.
He tried to do his best in his own way, promised things he probably regrets doing but I still think he deserves our thanks....if for no other reason than actually trying in the first place.
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

cuffy
Veteran Member
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by cuffy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm
Bigfathoss wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm The mind boggles and I wish I could say I were surprised at the absolute ingrates that are spouting off. I'm amazed that the Casson family have continued for quite as long as they have done. It's a constant bleed on their own finances to keep the club afloat, and it was never going to be a permanent solution. I totally agree that naivety, with regards to what would be needed and what could be achieved, has played it's part but naivety doesn't warrant the slagging off that they have been subject to. When someone has done their best then their efforts should be thanked.
It's a shame that the enterprise hasn't paid off in the way that they had hoped, I would like to think that they can walk away with some good memories and the knowledge that they 'did their bit'. They did MORE than their bit in my opinion.
Good luck to the Cassons. Good luck to any Hornby led consortium or any other arrangement. Good luck to ANY efforts that will keep our club going at this level.
That’s a good post Hoss.

There’s been things done that could’ve been done much better, there’s no doubt about that, but Paul stumped up probably more than £4m to do things how he thought was the right way. I think to most it didn’t make sense but it was his money, his club and he did what he thought was right.
He tried to do his best in his own way, promised things he probably regrets doing but I still think he deserves our thanks....if for no other reason than actually trying in the first place.
Agree with the sentiments of both posts. Thanks to the Casson family but now is the time to move on.

ant
Gold Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:48 pm
Location: Popular side
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by ant » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Just referred on R cumbria to Paul Hornby as new owner.
Seasons to be cheerful.Part 16 3/4 :skill:

grammaroldboy
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by grammaroldboy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Bigfathoss wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm The mind boggles and I wish I could say I were surprised at the absolute ingrates that are spouting off. I'm amazed that the Casson family have continued for quite as long as they have done. It's a constant bleed on their own finances to keep the club afloat, and it was never going to be a permanent solution. I totally agree that naivety, with regards to what would be needed and what could be achieved, has played it's part but naivety doesn't warrant the slagging off that they have been subject to. When someone has done their best then their efforts should be thanked.
It's a shame that the enterprise hasn't paid off in the way that they had hoped, I would like to think that they can walk away with some good memories and the knowledge that they 'did their bit'. They did MORE than their bit in my opinion.
Good luck to the Cassons. Good luck to any Hornby led consortium or any other arrangement. Good luck to ANY efforts that will keep our club going at this level.
Absolutely spot on!

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by boyliegladbach » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 pm

ant wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm Just referred on R cumbria to Paul Hornby as new owner.
Paul hornby disagrees http://www.barrowafc.com/a-message-from-paul-hornby/

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Bigfathoss wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm The mind boggles and I wish I could say I were surprised at the absolute ingrates that are spouting off. I'm amazed that the Casson family have continued for quite as long as they have done. It's a constant bleed on their own finances to keep the club afloat, and it was never going to be a permanent solution. I totally agree that naivety, with regards to what would be needed and what could be achieved, has played it's part but naivety doesn't warrant the slagging off that they have been subject to. When someone has done their best then their efforts should be thanked.
It's a shame that the enterprise hasn't paid off in the way that they had hoped, I would like to think that they can walk away with some good memories and the knowledge that they 'did their bit'. They did MORE than their bit in my opinion.
Good luck to the Cassons. Good luck to any Hornby led consortium or any other arrangement. Good luck to ANY efforts that will keep our club going at this level.
Could not have put it better myself. Excellent post

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: Club Statement: New Chairman - Paul Hornby

Post by blue nige » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Moving on I think we'll be ok .I'm sure the new consortium will have a workable strategy and set up a board that clearly sets out each person's role and responsibilities ( if Paul Casson had done this he could have avoided a lot of self inflicted problems )
Anyway lets hope the town backs them but I won't hold my breath :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blumooncrab and 14 guests