Decisions being made
-
whitty1969
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2937
- Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
There's a four-letter word within that town's name.
Re: Decisions being made
That's cheered me up reading that. I have always been relatively confident we would go up either through direct promotion or Bury's replacement. Never bought the null and void rubbish. As Evo says, sport is about winners and losers.
Re: Decisions being made
We’d take that, of course we would, but I still think two teams should go up and see no reason why that could not happen using PPG. 4 up from League 2 (an extra promotion to replace Bury), 3 down from L1 Stevenage down, two up from NL. I think that still keeps numbers right and rewards success based upon games played.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Sorry to bang on in a repetitive way, but nothing will be sorted until the PL finally decide their way forward, and in particular whether there will be promotion from, and relegation to, the championship. So many times I have said the knock on effect is obvious.
In this unique scenario we (and I’m only really concerned about Barrow) are minnows, with no bargaining power (I’ve said many times it’s about money). I don’t care if Harrogate/Notts County or anyone else has a case for promotion to EFL 2. Let them do their thing (including pointless threats of legal action if they think their arguments will hold water - they will not). There is a space that we as Barrow can and should fill as a last resort. I am a massive I.E fan, and have read and watched pretty much everything he has been involved with since lockdown. He champions the cause for Barrow very eloquently, but he is also understandably a self publicist and maybe there should be just a measure of not overdoing it for the greater good. He will go on to great things (and he admits he wants to be a PL manager). The one hour podcast on The Athletic is exceptional. A hugely impressive man. I hope he can get us into L1. With 1m to spend its definitely do-able.
In this unique scenario we (and I’m only really concerned about Barrow) are minnows, with no bargaining power (I’ve said many times it’s about money). I don’t care if Harrogate/Notts County or anyone else has a case for promotion to EFL 2. Let them do their thing (including pointless threats of legal action if they think their arguments will hold water - they will not). There is a space that we as Barrow can and should fill as a last resort. I am a massive I.E fan, and have read and watched pretty much everything he has been involved with since lockdown. He champions the cause for Barrow very eloquently, but he is also understandably a self publicist and maybe there should be just a measure of not overdoing it for the greater good. He will go on to great things (and he admits he wants to be a PL manager). The one hour podcast on The Athletic is exceptional. A hugely impressive man. I hope he can get us into L1. With 1m to spend its definitely do-able.
Re: Decisions being made
Who is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Hollowaywhitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm Columnist and [SwearFilter] fan
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... ow-4136214
Re: Decisions being made
The thought that keeps occupying me is about the actual physical reality of playing. I've seen tons of news pieces about droplets and/or aerosols and how face masks can prevent transmission over spaces metres wide. Now if you consider that footballers spit constantly - often a natural instinctive reaction to effort and running - the pitches could become a droplet/aerosol cloud of disease.
So what do we do? Do we start booking players for spitting...and how about social distancing at a corner, say?
It will only take one single contamination from one previously uncontaminated player and it's back to square one we go - quarantines and games postponed.
I just don't see how we can possibly have football games while this thing is still around. The only possible solution would be to test EVERYONE before and after a game perhaps, but while there are still a shedload of key workers untested because those tests aren't available to them, how is this in any way acceptable.
I say we bin it all - have success rewarded as the tables stand now, and don't relegate anyone. Then start again only once 100% safe to do so.
So what do we do? Do we start booking players for spitting...and how about social distancing at a corner, say?
It will only take one single contamination from one previously uncontaminated player and it's back to square one we go - quarantines and games postponed.
I just don't see how we can possibly have football games while this thing is still around. The only possible solution would be to test EVERYONE before and after a game perhaps, but while there are still a shedload of key workers untested because those tests aren't available to them, how is this in any way acceptable.
I say we bin it all - have success rewarded as the tables stand now, and don't relegate anyone. Then start again only once 100% safe to do so.
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."
- Adam29
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7290
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
What’s that got to do with a reporter that supports a Lincolnshire rival to Grimsby?Pedro wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 amWho is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Hollowaywhitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm Columnist and [SwearFilter] fan
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... ow-4136214
Re: Decisions being made
I dont think the £1.2m L2 clubs get will remain unchanged. Risk that Barrow go up, suffer increased costs, but do not get a significant increase in income that could previously be relied upon.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Did you really post that at 4.48 am Adam? Makes my midnight jottings look positively feeble.
Story below from NLP interviewing Simon Weaver at Harrogate. In keeping with the general demeanour of the guy his comments are very diplomatic. If it were me I'd have started my quotes with "My dad was speaking to the company lawyer yesterday evening and told him of the League 2 proposal. Once he'd stopped laughing he said he might be able to help".
https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... elegation/
Re: Decisions being made
Has the situation below the NL changed? How can NL expect EFL to relegate when they will not relegate to the leagues below?
Re: Decisions being made
The report was in the Grimsby paper .It references Barrow twice .
I.E has been proactive and I am sure he will have talked to his former Manager Ian Holloway ,the article had no need to show Holker street or mention us.
I am sure I..E will have co opted Ian Holloway to out cause.
-
Cromwell58
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 840
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Lets hope we do not get stitched up.
Re: Decisions being made
Yes, I agree.
The way I see it, whatever the EFL and the FA do in the coming days, weeks or hours around promotion and relegation...they will be setting a president will they not.
In other words, there is nothing to say that this same situation will not arise again next season whenever that maybe.
So whatever decision they arrive at in this present predicament, one would think would have to be a constant in the future.
Re: Decisions being made
The Soccer Saturday team have just mentioned us on Sky
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests