Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
-
Colin Appleton
- Senior Member
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
- Contact:
Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
I was at our last home Football League game in 1972. We lost 3-0 to Brentford, who may have even got promoted that night. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm that. I have the programme at home but
without spending hours trying to dig it out I seem to think that game may have been played on a Monday evening rather than the usual Tuesday night. This could have been for one of two reasons (A) so it didn't clash with the speedway or possibly (B) Sometimes to save on travelling southern based sides would play a northern based outfit in those days on the Saturday afternoon and then another one the following Monday.
We all know of course Barrow's last Football League game was the following Saturday where we lost despite I think taking the lead 7-1 at Exeter City. The reason for this rambling post, ha, was did any Barrow fans who use the forum go to St James Park that day and watch the match ?
without spending hours trying to dig it out I seem to think that game may have been played on a Monday evening rather than the usual Tuesday night. This could have been for one of two reasons (A) so it didn't clash with the speedway or possibly (B) Sometimes to save on travelling southern based sides would play a northern based outfit in those days on the Saturday afternoon and then another one the following Monday.
We all know of course Barrow's last Football League game was the following Saturday where we lost despite I think taking the lead 7-1 at Exeter City. The reason for this rambling post, ha, was did any Barrow fans who use the forum go to St James Park that day and watch the match ?
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Monday was the normal day for evening games in the 60s and 70s.
THE NORTHERN WAY
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Was thirteen at the time so wasn't allowed to go to away games.
I was a ball boy at HS for that season and the one before. My chores for the Brentford game included selling programmes in what is now Wilkie Road stationed outside what is now the main entrance to the ground. I believe the game was played on 24th April 1972 which was a Monday.
I was a ball boy at HS for that season and the one before. My chores for the Brentford game included selling programmes in what is now Wilkie Road stationed outside what is now the main entrance to the ground. I believe the game was played on 24th April 1972 which was a Monday.
-
Exeter bluebird
- New Member
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
I was at the last league match away at Exeter. Sounds impressive but I live there. Lost 7-1
-
Cromwell58
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 840
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
I was at last two which I think were Workington then Brentford.
-
MikeRenney
- Senior Member
- Posts: 260
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:02 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
I went with my friends to our last home game but can’t remember too much about it. I can remember the gloom of the result of our last game and Tony Morrin playing for Exeter after he had left us. I also vividly remember walking sadly up to Cornthwaites newsagents on Ainslie Street to buy the Evening Mail for the full story when we failed to get re-elected.
Thankfully the memories now assuaged by the fantastic news we are back in the league and this season’s performance by the manager, team, back room staff and the board.
Thankfully the memories now assuaged by the fantastic news we are back in the league and this season’s performance by the manager, team, back room staff and the board.
Last edited by MikeRenney on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Which makes me wonder does anybody actually have a copy of the NWEM on that fateful day. Its not the thing that most would keep as a souvenir. But it might be useful for those who were not around at the time in understanding how devastating that was.MikeRenney wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:39 am Yes, I went with my friends but can’t remember too much about it. I can remember the gloom of the result of our last game and Tony Morrin playing for Exeter after he had left us. I also vividly remember walking sadly up to Cornthwaites newsagents on Ainslie Street to buy the Evening Mail for the full story when we failed to get re-elected.
Thankfully the memories now assuaged by the fantastic news we are back in the league and this season’s performance by the manager, team, back room staff and the board.
-
Colin Appleton
- Senior Member
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Exeter Bluebird, Grecians legend Alan Banks who scored in that match has a daughter who married a Barrow lad and now I think she lives in the town.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember both Barrow's regular goalkeepers were injured for the game and an outfield player was in goal for the match.
-
Colin Appleton
- Senior Member
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Although Bobby Knox who usually played as an outfield player had played in goal in games leading up to this one I think regular choice Harry Thompson was the keeper that day. Bobby Knox I think started the match and may have in fact scored an own goal in that game.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
It was indeed Harry Thompson - the regular number one.
As a part-time player, Bob Knox started for Barrow in all twelve positions over eight years in the first team while in the FL, including three times as goalie, making a total of 108 league and 18 Cup appearances and scoring 19 times in the league and 4 times in the Cup.
Famously, he became the first sub to score in the Football League (v Wrexham on 21st August, 1965, att. 4897, won 4-2) and apparently the first sub to save a penalty (v Doncaster's Alex Jeffries on 28/12/1965, att 6712, won 2-1).
As a part-time player, Bob Knox started for Barrow in all twelve positions over eight years in the first team while in the FL, including three times as goalie, making a total of 108 league and 18 Cup appearances and scoring 19 times in the league and 4 times in the Cup.
Famously, he became the first sub to score in the Football League (v Wrexham on 21st August, 1965, att. 4897, won 4-2) and apparently the first sub to save a penalty (v Doncaster's Alex Jeffries on 28/12/1965, att 6712, won 2-1).
THE NORTHERN WAY
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Not me, but I have a copy of the programme. I believe they can fetch quite a sum on eBay these days.
I did see our last ever Football League win though, 2-0 at home to Workington the Saturday before the Exeter match. Steve Calvert and Ian MacDonald scored IIRC.
I did see our last ever Football League win though, 2-0 at home to Workington the Saturday before the Exeter match. Steve Calvert and Ian MacDonald scored IIRC.
-
Exeter bluebird
- New Member
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Alan Banks is still involved at ECFC. Usually see him around on match days. Great ambassador for the clubColin Appleton wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:54 pm Exeter Bluebird, Grecians legend Alan Banks who scored in that match has a daughter who married a Barrow lad and now I think she lives in the town.
-
Mulholland Drive
- Member
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am
- Contact:
Re: Did anyone go to our last Football League match ?
Dave Leitch of the National Supporters’ Club was at Exeter for the last game.
I could not go to that match but I was at the Cambridge United game where Harry Thomson was injured and Bob Knox went in goal. It was on the 15 April 1972 and we lost 1-0.
I could not go to that match but I was at the Cambridge United game where Harry Thomson was injured and Bob Knox went in goal. It was on the 15 April 1972 and we lost 1-0.
We don't remember the days, we remember the moments
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Barrow Hotspur, behind the goals, Big_Bluebird, blue nige, blumooncrab, colyates, DA52, Edinburghbob, Gnasher66, Hendoblue, HenneysKnee, Matt, McMark, nottinghamblue, saltcellar, Stand By Me and 64 guests