you couldn't make it up
you couldn't make it up
I was half expecting the irony of first game being Exeter Away same as our last game in the football league in 1972.
But even worse our last game of the season is again Exeter away!
Chance to right a wrong methinks.
We are in much better shape now both as a club and on the playing front and expect us to finish a comfortable mid table position if not better but the spectre of "Exeter away last game" is still hanging around.
But even worse our last game of the season is again Exeter away!
Chance to right a wrong methinks.
We are in much better shape now both as a club and on the playing front and expect us to finish a comfortable mid table position if not better but the spectre of "Exeter away last game" is still hanging around.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
Thing is Dave there are relatively few of us left who recognise the significance of that fixture. If you are under 50 you'd probably think Exeter was a nice day out to end the season where we could all dress up like a knight, a banana or a clown.
Heres a thought too. If we go to Exeter on the last day, lose 7-0 and end up third from bottom of L2 as we did 48 years ago we'll still be in L2 next season. It wasn't Exeter that sent us down, it was the biased and rigged voting system that followed it.
Best not to dwell I think.
Heres a thought too. If we go to Exeter on the last day, lose 7-0 and end up third from bottom of L2 as we did 48 years ago we'll still be in L2 next season. It wasn't Exeter that sent us down, it was the biased and rigged voting system that followed it.
Best not to dwell I think.
Re: you couldn't make it up
And the 1970/71 season where we ended up bottom of the pile but were still re-elected back into the league was that biased and rigged as well 
-
behind the goals
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2248
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
Knocking half of the ground down and playing on a bog standard pitch had nothing to do with it the decision by the board to put a speedway track around the pitch is the most dreadful decision ever made in the club's history, with that ground in 1972 the club's had no choice to vote us out, if the Club are again in that situation and so skint we can always put a speedway track around the pitch I'm sure the EFL would turn a blind eye.
-
Colin Appleton
- Senior Member
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
We lost 7-1 at Exeter not 7-0 we weren't that bad, ha. I think we actually took the lead through Eddie Garbett. How many on here remember him ?
-
russell_anderson
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2881
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
- Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
Yes. I remember Eddie. Not too bad but not one of our better players over the years.Colin Appleton wrote: ↑Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:55 pm We lost 7-1 at Exeter not 7-0 we weren't that bad, ha. I think we actually took the lead through Eddie Garbett. How many on here remember him ?
Re: you couldn't make it up
And had we won at Exeter we would have been safe from the re-election places.
THE NORTHERN WAY
-
Exeter bluebird
- New Member
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
As I've said before, I was at that match as a 7year old. I think it was my third ever match. I'm pleased that it's not an early fixture as we wouldn't be able to attend but hopefully will be there in May.
-
Mr Zebedee
- Senior Member
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 pm
- Contact:
Re: you couldn't make it up
If you're looking for conspiracy theories, bad omens etc, we're at home to Stevenage for the league fixture
And I'm sure none of us have forgotten what happened in the 1998-1999 season
And I'm sure none of us have forgotten what happened in the 1998-1999 season
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: 32mile_cul-de-sac, blue nige and 19 guests