John..........?
John..........?
A question for those supporters who are a bit like me these days-long in the tooth.
I was talking to one of my old mates t'other day about this, that and the other, to do with Barra soccer.
We used to help out at the ground in the late seventies/early eighties doing bits of jobs. We were discussing the old floodlight system that was installed around about 1980 and if I remember correctly (memories are a bit hazy now) the project was lead by a guy with a Scottish accent called John?. I can picture him now but cannot recall his surname, he seemed a real nice guy as well as a passionate supporter.
Obviously with the passing of time we have all known and lost people who were passionate about the club-and its future of being one day back in the promised land. So, I would be grateful if someone could help me out here with dear old John's surname.
I was talking to one of my old mates t'other day about this, that and the other, to do with Barra soccer.
We used to help out at the ground in the late seventies/early eighties doing bits of jobs. We were discussing the old floodlight system that was installed around about 1980 and if I remember correctly (memories are a bit hazy now) the project was lead by a guy with a Scottish accent called John?. I can picture him now but cannot recall his surname, he seemed a real nice guy as well as a passionate supporter.
Obviously with the passing of time we have all known and lost people who were passionate about the club-and its future of being one day back in the promised land. So, I would be grateful if someone could help me out here with dear old John's surname.
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9884
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: John..........?
A total guess here, but John McKays dad was Scottish, I have no idea how long he was a supporter for though, but the time scale you mention would fit with his age group.Reginald wrote: ↑Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:01 am A question for those supporters who are a bit like me these days-long in the tooth.
I was talking to one of my old mates t'other day about this, that and the other, to do with Barra soccer.
We used to help out at the ground in the late seventies/early eighties doing bits of jobs. We were discussing the old floodlight system that was installed around about 1980 and if I remember correctly (memories are a bit hazy now) the project was lead by a guy with a Scottish accent called John?. I can picture him now but cannot recall his surname, he seemed a real nice guy as well as a passionate supporter.
Obviously with the passing of time we have all known and lost people who were passionate about the club-and its future of being one day back in the promised land. So, I would be grateful if someone could help me out here with dear old John's surname.
Russ Rawley would know if it was him or not.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: John..........?
Ratcliffe ?
- Cokey
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3346
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm
- Location: 7 minutes from greatness
- Contact:
Re: John..........?
Without wanting it to sound like a game of Guess Who, did this gent have a beard?
Re: John..........?
Beard-no, not as I remember.
He was always clean cut and, if I remember correctly, he used to drink in the Dominics which used to be down at the bottom end of Rawlinson Street.
The last time I ever saw John was on the train from Barrow when we played at Worcester City-early eighties?.The train was rammed with Barrow supporters.
According to my mate-John was a foreman Electrician in the Yard-if that helps!.
Last edited by Reginald on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: John..........?
I was thinking Max Rattery....not Ratcliffe
Re: John..........?
Doesn't matter if no one can remember but, I feel its good to remember the voices of friends vanished and gone from the terraces and how they would have reacted to our return to the promised land.
Re: John..........?
According to Phil Yelland it was probably John Murray who ran the project from his workshop in Dumbartonshire.
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: John..........?
Thanks Saltcellar.saltcellar wrote: ↑Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 amI think John Murray is correct.
He did drink in Dominics and was a foreman electrician in the shipyard.
Re: John..........?
It most certainly is John Murray. I helped him with the first two lights that were put up on the Asda corner pylon. We tried them early one night, and the difference between them and the ones they eventually replaced was amazing.
-
Paulmichael
- Senior Member
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 pm
- Contact:
Re: John..........?
This thread got me thinking of the regular supporters you used to see home and away every game when I started late 80s , vic brownbill, ernie smith big ted, graham mutton I know quite a few have passed away now but a few simply stopped going, a shame after all those lean years now not seeing us back in the league (when we are allowed obviously)
Re: John..........?
Anyone heard from Nigel Bamford, used to be a regular on here, but not seen a post this season??
Re: John..........?
Can anyone remember a rather loud but, seemingly nice guy called 'Dodger' who used to board the supporters bus in the Greenodd area?.Paulmichael wrote: ↑Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:40 pm This thread got me thinking of the regular supporters you used to see home and away every game when I started late 80s , vic brownbill, ernie smith big ted, graham mutton I know quite a few have passed away now but a few simply stopped going, a shame after all those lean years now not seeing us back in the league (when we are allowed obviously)
Re: John..........?
Remember the Worcester City away game well, fantastic day out. Think we were undefeated in the league at the time. Then Brian Kidd turned up, worst manager we ever had.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Barrow Hotspur, DerekW, Duff1976, olefogey and 39 guests