Northampton v Barrow match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2759
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by mall » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:39 am

mickycarrol wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 am Anyone else woke up this morning in a much better place and a spring in their step or is it just me.

Boooooom cracking result last night boys
No its not just you cos
Such a feeling's coming over me, theres three points in most games I will see, Not a cloud in the sky, got the sun in my eyes, And I hope it dont turn out to be a dream.
I'm on the top of the world looking at Paul Hornbys creation and the only explanation I can find, Is the love that I've found ever since Rooneys (and Holloway and Canavan) been around has put me at the top of the world.

Stu1
Senior Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by Stu1 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:54 am

👍🎼👍

MisterPleasant
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5249
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by MisterPleasant » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:30 am

Adam29 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:37 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bllvvq

Post match thoughts from Mark Cooper
He must be a lot easier to interview after a win like that :D but this comment stood out for me:
" We didn't have to make those changes, we chose to make them."

and Connor Brown's interview shows the players are right behind the manager:
https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2022/feb ... s-stadium/
Don't let the old man in.

pjdaly
Gold Member
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by pjdaly » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:04 am

Reading some of the comments on the first two or three pages of this thread about Jason Taylor – followed by the "he showed you" type responses later in the thread after the match was over – makes for amusing reading!

I personally bit my lip and put nothing in the pre-match comments but I'm not going to be a hypocrite because in all honesty I could understand some of those pre-match reservations. I admit I grimaced when I saw the line-up. I cannot deny that my thoughts were along the lines of "Jason? Surely not?"

Don't get me wrong - - - Jason Taylor is my favourite player of the last four years or so, but even I doubted him before last night's match. But of course he proved me wrong and I am really made up that he did. He has a sort of Nadal-esque "I'm far too old and experienced to start dying now" mentality which marks him out as one of the greatest pros to feature for us.

I hear the rumours but I don't claim to know what exactly is going on with Matt Platt. What I do know is that he is a very good player who has started playing badly. If it's an attitude thing then he could do far worse than sit down for an hour or two and listen to Jason Taylor imparting his professional wisdom into his ear.

User avatar
xerxes
Gold Member
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by xerxes » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:55 am

Jim wrote: ↑Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:01 pm All played well, but special mention for Jason 'Legs have gone' Taylor, Brown (not the most talented player but will never let you down) and James "Not good enough for EFL" who worked his socks off and constantly unsettled their defence.
Absolutely agree with that, I would add Hutton to the list for a special mention. But none of them played badly.

User avatar
Adam29
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7290
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: Barrow-in-Furness
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by Adam29 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:14 pm

Reaction from John Rooney on his return to Barrow and also his thoughts on last nights game
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0blnr6f

A.B.
Platinum Member
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by A.B. » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:20 pm

To be fair, I think last night was the sort of game made for Jason Taylor. He was a real leader, demonstrated exemplary discipline and his streetwise approach certainly helped us on occasions.

I guess you know what you’re getting with him. You’ll never get much in the way of creativity or attacking prowess. But he’ll always give 100% to the cause, particularly in a “backs against the wall” situation like last night.
#SWB

Bingley Blue
Senior Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by Bingley Blue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:07 pm

I think that Paul Farman deserves a mention from last night. An anxious moment in the first half but other than that a well above average display. Made some difficult saves look relatively easy.
Looks even better when compared with the Northampton keeper. He’s a regular in a play-off team and looked nothing like the calibre of Farman.
Farman was criticised for how he dealt with crosses last week but he was head and shoulders - literally - above his counterpart last night.
Well done.

User avatar
32mile_cul-de-sac
Gold Member
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by 32mile_cul-de-sac » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:19 pm

Cooper got his selection and tactics spot on last night. A pat on the back to him. Image

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm

Bingley Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:07 pm I think that Paul Farman deserves a mention from last night. An anxious moment in the first half but other than that a well above average display. Made some difficult saves look relatively easy.
Looks even better when compared with the Northampton keeper. He’s a regular in a play-off team and looked nothing like the calibre of Farman.
Farman was criticised for how he dealt with crosses last week but he was head and shoulders - literally - above his counterpart last night.
Well done.
He still instills no confidence with his inability to command his box and come for the high ball. When he does and did last night he is hopeless. A good shot stopper who can kick it a long way is all he is IMO

User avatar
McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11317
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by McMark » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:11 pm

Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm
Bingley Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:07 pm I think that Paul Farman deserves a mention from last night. An anxious moment in the first half but other than that a well above average display. Made some difficult saves look relatively easy.
Looks even better when compared with the Northampton keeper. He’s a regular in a play-off team and looked nothing like the calibre of Farman.
Farman was criticised for how he dealt with crosses last week but he was head and shoulders - literally - above his counterpart last night.
Well done.
He still instills no confidence with his inability to command his box and come for the high ball. When he does and did last night he is hopeless. A good shot stopper who can kick it a long way is all he is IMO
But you are never going to get the full package they all have flaws that’s why they are at this level. A more than capable keeper at this level in my view.

cottingham bluebird
Senior Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: The promised land
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by cottingham bluebird » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:33 pm

Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm
Bingley Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:07 pm I think that Paul Farman deserves a mention from last night. An anxious moment in the first half but other than that a well above average display. Made some difficult saves look relatively easy.
Looks even better when compared with the Northampton keeper. He’s a regular in a play-off team and looked nothing like the calibre of Farman.
Farman was criticised for how he dealt with crosses last week but he was head and shoulders - literally - above his counterpart last night.
Well done.
He still instills no confidence with his inability to command his box and come for the high ball. When he does and did last night he is hopeless. A good shot stopper who can kick it a long way is all he is IMO
:scarf: :skill: :D

cottingham bluebird
Senior Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: The promised land
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by cottingham bluebird » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:35 pm

As with all our players they will all have faults it's league 2 not premier league.
They do their best to their capabilities just get behind them and don't slag them off if they make mistakes we can't all be perfect
:scarf: :skill: :D

blumooncrab
Silver Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by blumooncrab » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:39 pm

pjdaly wrote: ↑Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:04 am Reading some of the comments on the first two or three pages of this thread about Jason Taylor – followed by the "he showed you" type responses later in the thread after the match was over – makes for amusing reading!

I personally bit my lip and put nothing in the pre-match comments but I'm not going to be a hypocrite because in all honesty I could understand some of those pre-match reservations. I admit I grimaced when I saw the line-up. I cannot deny that my thoughts were along the lines of "Jason? Surely not?"

Don't get me wrong - - - Jason Taylor is my favourite player of the last four years or so, but even I doubted him before last night's match. But of course he proved me wrong and I am really made up that he did. He has a sort of Nadal-esque "I'm far too old and experienced to start dying now" mentality which marks him out as one of the greatest pros to feature for us.

I hear the rumours but I don't claim to know what exactly is going on with Matt Platt. What I do know is that he is a very good player who has started playing badly. If it's an attitude thing then he could do far worse than sit down for an hour or two and listen to Jason Taylor imparting his professional wisdom into his ear.
Great post !

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Northampton v Barrow match thread

Post by Jonty » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:39 pm

I can fully understand why he dropped Jones and Platt for this game because they have both not shown enough desire in the box with some of the goals we have conceded leading up to this match. This was highlighted most recently by the goal after a minute versus Newport when both didn’t show enough determination to win the ball and I think Coopers patience had gone, especially when he emphasises time and again the importance of winning the aerial battles. Taylor brought exactly what we need to the side with his aggression and tenacity. We totally managed the game and that is in part to having leaders all over the pitch. The changes were needed. This side needs players like Brown/ Banks/ Farman/ Taylor because they show desire on the pitch and let the opposition know they are there- they won’t let anyone bully them. The balance was just right last night.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests