John Kemp
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
John Kemp
For older supporters who will remember Johnny Kemp he sadly passed away yesterday aged 88.
He has been ill for some years in a care home but was still visited regularly by a former team mate, at one time on a daily basis. The strong bonds of team mates was surely typified here.
Johnny played for Barrow from 1959 until 1963 and despite being born in Scotland and travelling round various clubs from Leeds to I think he finished at Crewe Alexandra he chose Barrow to live for the rest of his life.
Two Bluebirds lost within a couple of days of each other is very sad but thanks for the memories you leave us with lads. R.I.P.
He has been ill for some years in a care home but was still visited regularly by a former team mate, at one time on a daily basis. The strong bonds of team mates was surely typified here.
Johnny played for Barrow from 1959 until 1963 and despite being born in Scotland and travelling round various clubs from Leeds to I think he finished at Crewe Alexandra he chose Barrow to live for the rest of his life.
Two Bluebirds lost within a couple of days of each other is very sad but thanks for the memories you leave us with lads. R.I.P.
Re: John Kemp
One of my earliest boyhood heroes. A proper old-fashioned winger (whatever happened to them). RIP Johnny.
-
MisterPleasant
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5248
- Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
- Contact:
Re: John Kemp
Yes, I remember Johnny. A fine winger. The death of players such as these brings on bouts of nostalgia for early days spent at HS. R.i.P.
Don't let the old man in.
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: John Kemp
He would be proud that he was remembered after all these years.
Re: John Kemp
Kemp, Darwin, Howard, Dixon, Clarke, Maddison, Arrowsmith, Eddy, Wearmouth, Cahill, Caine, Hale . . . . .
The names roll easily from the memory banks when looking back at the first players I watched at Holker Street as a young kid round about 1962/63. Strangely, I remember the names vividly even though I can't "see them playing" in my mind's eye and therefore can't remember whether I thought they were good or not! But people have told me over the years that Johnny was a good player - - - despite the fact that I know I saw him play many times without any recollection of how he performed!
So this is sad news when I hear that one of my "first players" has gone. Whereas Steve Calvert's passing came as a shock (as he was still quite young) I was aware (from Elaine's previous posts) that Johnny had been unwell for quite some time.
I've just checked Michael Gardner's "The Definitive Barrow AFC" for some stats about Johnny. It appears he played 184 games for Barrow and scored exactly 50 goals, most of them I would guess from his customary left-wing position. He made his debut in a 2-0 defeat away at Chester on March 21st 1959.
Johnny's first goal came in a 2-1 home win against Oldham at Holker Street on March 30th 1959.
I do have memories of a couple of the last few matches he played in; his last ever appearance at Holker Street was a 0-3 home League defeat against Gillingham at on November 9th 1963. That one stands out in my memory as I recall standing behind the wall at the Holker Street end and feeling awed, not so much by the sight of Brian Caine in goal racing to the edge of the area and being lobbed by a Gillingham player for their third goal but because of the spectacle of watching us play under the glare of 120 spotlights (as this was the very early days of having floodlights).
In Johnny's last League match, an 8-2 defeat away at Aldershot on November 30th 1963, I well remember sitting in front of the grainy black-and-white TV and being left in shock as the Grandstand Classified results scrolled up for Division Four and 8-2 came up on the screen.
But, thankfully, Johnny's last ever match for us was triumphant, a 2-0 win away at Chester in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup on Saturday 7th December 1963.
So he started his time at Barrow with a 2-0 defeat away at Chester and finished his time with us by rectifying that with a 2-0 victory away at Chester.
Condolences and sympathies to Johnny's family and friends and huge thanks for more than 4 years of service to our club. His name at least will never be forgotten because he was one of the "first AFC players" to me.
The names roll easily from the memory banks when looking back at the first players I watched at Holker Street as a young kid round about 1962/63. Strangely, I remember the names vividly even though I can't "see them playing" in my mind's eye and therefore can't remember whether I thought they were good or not! But people have told me over the years that Johnny was a good player - - - despite the fact that I know I saw him play many times without any recollection of how he performed!
So this is sad news when I hear that one of my "first players" has gone. Whereas Steve Calvert's passing came as a shock (as he was still quite young) I was aware (from Elaine's previous posts) that Johnny had been unwell for quite some time.
I've just checked Michael Gardner's "The Definitive Barrow AFC" for some stats about Johnny. It appears he played 184 games for Barrow and scored exactly 50 goals, most of them I would guess from his customary left-wing position. He made his debut in a 2-0 defeat away at Chester on March 21st 1959.
Johnny's first goal came in a 2-1 home win against Oldham at Holker Street on March 30th 1959.
I do have memories of a couple of the last few matches he played in; his last ever appearance at Holker Street was a 0-3 home League defeat against Gillingham at on November 9th 1963. That one stands out in my memory as I recall standing behind the wall at the Holker Street end and feeling awed, not so much by the sight of Brian Caine in goal racing to the edge of the area and being lobbed by a Gillingham player for their third goal but because of the spectacle of watching us play under the glare of 120 spotlights (as this was the very early days of having floodlights).
In Johnny's last League match, an 8-2 defeat away at Aldershot on November 30th 1963, I well remember sitting in front of the grainy black-and-white TV and being left in shock as the Grandstand Classified results scrolled up for Division Four and 8-2 came up on the screen.
But, thankfully, Johnny's last ever match for us was triumphant, a 2-0 win away at Chester in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup on Saturday 7th December 1963.
So he started his time at Barrow with a 2-0 defeat away at Chester and finished his time with us by rectifying that with a 2-0 victory away at Chester.
Condolences and sympathies to Johnny's family and friends and huge thanks for more than 4 years of service to our club. His name at least will never be forgotten because he was one of the "first AFC players" to me.
Re: John Kemp
I didn't realise that was his last match. I remember the game vividly. I went on the supporters' coach. We were struggling as usual, Chester were riding high, I didn't fancy our chances. We got an early goal, held on until late in the game, then scored again. I am ashamed to say that we ran onto the pitch (which I remember was very muddy) in triumph when the final whistle blew.
Anywone know why it was Kemp's last match? Was he injured or transferred?
Re: John Kemp
Jim, he was transferred to Crewe Alexandra and he played 47 times for them, scoring 7 goals, before retiring. As Elaine pointed out above, he returned to live in Barrow for the rest of his life. I believe he worked in Vickers but doing what I do not know.
Re: John Kemp
So sad, i worked with John for many years on the Shipyard fire service, he was engine driver, many laughs & story's, including his first sending off...after a bad foul John chased the guy & booted him hard up the ass then walked straight to the tunnel, he was a real gem..RIP Johnny
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: John Kemp
I will pass that story on to the family and I am.sure it will bring some laughs amongst the tears.Storf wrote: ↑Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:05 pm So sad, i worked with John for many years on the Shipyard fire service, he was engine driver, many laughs & story's, including his first sending off...after a bad foul John chased the guy & booted him hard up the ass then walked straight to the tunnel, he was a real gem..RIP Johnny![]()
I doubt his grandson will have heard of that, John always wanting to set a good example to him.
Thank you.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Freya, John_Bucks and 39 guests