Stewards

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 am

Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 am Good move by the club. Another sensible, professional ,move,quarantined regular steward numbers, provided from an established security firm. Our previous stewards did a fine job, but some maybe not up to the task.
Whether it’s a good move or not remains to be seen, let’s just remember we had a private security firm in for a game in the promotion season…that nearly ended up with a mass brawl in the X Bar after one game, that’s not an exaggeration - I saw it happen, something I’ve never seen before at a home game.
Last season we had another private company, I’m not sure what the cause of the trouble was in the HSE but it wasn’t great to see when you are just going to see a football game.
Then there’s the many complaints on here of away clubs stewards, most of the time private companies.

So, a bit too early to say if it’s a good move or not.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

barrowaberdeen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9034
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Independent Newbarns

Re: Stewards

Post by barrowaberdeen » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:01 am

They are a wee bit different from what I can see, not least as they aren't a bunch of moonlighting bouncers/wannabes- see above.

So far decent enough, very good at politely keeping folk off the wall in front of the disabled shelter and opening the fanzone gates without causing a mini-riot is about all I have to add.

But early days, aye.

olbarrafancumbak
Gold Member
Posts: 2489
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by olbarrafancumbak » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 am

spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 am
Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 am Good move by the club. Another sensible, professional ,move,quarantined regular steward numbers, provided from an established security firm. Our previous stewards did a fine job, but some maybe not up to the task.
Whether it’s a good move or not remains to be seen, let’s just remember we had a private security firm in for a game in the promotion season…that nearly ended up with a mass brawl in the X Bar after one game, that’s not an exaggeration - I saw it happen, something I’ve never seen before at a home game.
Last season we had another private company, I’m not sure what the cause of the trouble was in the HSE but it wasn’t great to see when you are just going to see a football game.
Then there’s the many complaints on here of away clubs stewards, most of the time private companies.

So, a bit too early to say if it’s a good move or not.
One to forget but I was involved amongst that nasty bunch of wannabees!!
They were bullying and threatening kids when I got involved, they turned real nasty and threatening toward me and I stood up to them, they didnt like that, went for more of their cronies and all hell almost broke loose.. not one of my fondest memories but i wasnt prepared to stand and watch "thugs" pick on decent kids..
I have massive respect for our stewards past and present, I wouldnt wanna do their job and yeh they make mistakes (as I did^^^^) but they are all good folk.
Hopefully, this new bunch will be professional and wont try and justify their requirements by causing more grief.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:24 am

olbarrafancumbak wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 am
spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 am

Whether it’s a good move or not remains to be seen, let’s just remember we had a private security firm in for a game in the promotion season…that nearly ended up with a mass brawl in the X Bar after one game, that’s not an exaggeration - I saw it happen, something I’ve never seen before at a home game.
Last season we had another private company, I’m not sure what the cause of the trouble was in the HSE but it wasn’t great to see when you are just going to see a football game.
Then there’s the many complaints on here of away clubs stewards, most of the time private companies.

So, a bit too early to say if it’s a good move or not.
One to forget but I was involved amongst that nasty bunch of wannabees!!
They were bullying and threatening kids when I got involved, they turned real nasty and threatening toward me and I stood up to them, they didnt like that, went for more of their cronies and all hell almost broke loose.. not one of my fondest memories but i wasnt prepared to stand and watch "thugs" pick on decent kids..
I have massive respect for our stewards past and present, I wouldnt wanna do their job and yeh they make mistakes (as I did^^^^) but they are all good folk.
Hopefully, this new bunch will be professional and wont try and justify their requirements by causing more grief.
One of our stewards that day stepped in to help you out as well.
Our (original) stewards really aren’t as bad as some make out.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Holkerbird » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:33 am

AFC Blue wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:14 pm
McMark wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:39 pm There’s nothing to discuss it’s all there in black and white
https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/20008756 ... h-behaved/
As I said they couldn’t hack it!
Some people clearly have their own agenda’s on here.🥹
No agenda's Mark. A few happy clappers but no agenda's
It seems to be a favourite retort as I was accused of having an agenda of some sort by the same person. I just call it having an opinion. Couldn't decide whether it was an insult or not. 😂
Can't even remember what it was about as it was so nonsensical.
It just seems some think they have more of an "insider" knowledge than others. 😂 Maybe not in this instance but in others.

AFC Blue
Senior Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by AFC Blue » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:13 pm

Holkerbird wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:33 am
AFC Blue wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:14 pm

No agenda's Mark. A few happy clappers but no agenda's
It seems to be a favourite retort as I was accused of having an agenda of some sort by the same person. I just call it having an opinion. Couldn't decide whether it was an insult or not. 😂
Can't even remember what it was about as it was so nonsensical.
It just seems some think they have more of an "insider" knowledge than others. 😂 Maybe not in this instance but in others.
Agree with you Elaine.
To attach a link to one of last seasons games couldnt be further from the truth.

User avatar
McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11316
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by McMark » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:06 pm

Cromwell58 asked a question, AFC Blue asked what I knew and I merely pointed out a press report where the club stated they were not happy with shortfall’s with the stewarding at the club and it wasn’t up to standard and the FACT that they would be reviewing stewarding as a way forward. (I think the Carlisle game finally made the clubs minds up for them, Just my opinion) It’s not rocket science is it, they have done it now it has been outsourced it doesn’t happen overnight.
The Chief Operations Officer covered the basics in the Harrogate programme without having to elaborate to the space cadets out there!
Credit to the club for seeing there were shortfalls in our stewarding and doing something to address those shortfalls.
It shows they are learning lessons and are being proactive.
As others have said it’s early days with our new contracted Steward team but hopefully we will be better for the change going forward.
So in effect nobody was sacked those that are no longer there just couldn’t hack it and those that can are still donning their reflective jackets!
I shall say no more on the subject🤐
Last edited by McMark on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arvo
Gold Member
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Arvo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:37 pm

barrowaberdeen wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:01 amSo far decent enough, very good at politely keeping folk off the wall...
A little less polite if they don't folk off from the wall, I guess (sorry, couldn't resist)
No bubblewrap unpopped.

AFC Blue
Senior Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by AFC Blue » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:54 pm

McMark wrote: ↑Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:06 pm Cromwell58 asked a question, AFC Blue asked what I knew and I merely pointed out a press report where the club stated they were not happy with shortfall’s with the stewarding at the club and it wasn’t up to standard and the FACT that they would be reviewing stewarding as a way forward. (I think the Carlisle game finally made the clubs minds up for them, Just my opinion) It’s not rocket science is it, they have done it now it has been outsourced it doesn’t happen overnight.
The Chief Operations Officer covered the basics in the Harrogate programme without having to elaborate to the space cadets out there!
Credit to the club for seeing there were shortfalls in our stewarding and doing something to address those shortfalls.
It shows they are learning lessons and are being proactive.
As others have said it’s early days with our new contracted Steward team but hopefully we will be better for the change going forward.
So in effect nobody was sacked those that are no longer there just couldn’t hack it and those that can are still donning their reflective jackets!
I shall say no more on the subject🤐
Is Being told by letter not to come back the same as being sacked or something completely different 🤔

Matty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5366
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Matty » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:01 pm

Can't say I've noticed anything, which is probably a good thing.
Popular side since '03.

nebulus
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by nebulus » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm

Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:26 pm What is situation with Barrow stewards have most of them been sacked and if so why ?
They were sacked because they kept saying the away end is unsafe and an accident waiting to happen,it seems the club as already been told by the relevant authorities its unsafe and not satisfactory,but the club persistantly sell as many tickets as they can when they get the chance.On top of this hornby as been doing his usual trick of not paying.So some walked out before the Bradford game due to non payment and wanting nothing to do with the away end,due to the club selling too many tickets and putting fans and stewards safety at risk...Alisha seen her arse and sacked them ,even some that weren't even at the bradford game.She even sacked the deputy safety officer whose only crime was standing upto alesha.

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:49 pm

nebulus wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm

They were sacked because they kept saying the away end is unsafe and an accident waiting to happen,it seems the club as already been told by the relevant authorities its unsafe and not satisfactory,but the club persistantly sell as many tickets as they can when they get the chance.On top of this hornby as been doing his usual trick of not paying.So some walked out before the Bradford game due to non payment and wanting nothing to do with the away end,due to the club selling too many tickets and putting fans and stewards safety at risk
The club have no say in the capacity of the away end or the ground. Cumbria county council inspect the ground and then decide on the capacity allowed based on health and safety regulations. CCC reduced the capacity of the away end towards the end of last season to 540. After remedial work was done close season CCC after inspection have issued the club a safety certificate allowing 640 away fans. Without these safety certificates the club would not be allowed to let anybody enter Holker street. The club have no say on capacity and how many tickets they can sell.

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Suffolk Blue » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:24 pm

nebulus wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm
Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:26 pm What is situation with Barrow stewards have most of them been sacked and if so why ?
They were sacked because they kept saying the away end is unsafe and an accident waiting to happen,it seems the club as already been told by the relevant authorities its unsafe and not satisfactory,but the club persistantly sell as many tickets as they can when they get the chance.On top of this hornby as been doing his usual trick of not paying.So some walked out before the Bradford game due to non payment and wanting nothing to do with the away end,due to the club selling too many tickets and putting fans and stewards safety at risk...Alisha seen her arse and sacked them ,even some that weren't even at the bradford game.She even sacked the deputy safety officer whose only crime was standing upto alesha.
I was at the Bradford game and I have to say I did wonder at the number of away fans crammed into that corner (600+)? I was a Valley Parade last season and my experience as an away supporter was so very much better. I think most would agree that the facilities for away supporters do need upgrading (as do the facilities for our own supporters). Its one aspect of our ground that particularly generates a lot of negative comment

Some of Nebulus' points however are pretty concerning if true. I realise that we are currently working with an EFL dictat to improve the away facilities and that this is subject to a time limitation. So if we are within that time limitation then no rules are actually being broken. Issues with regard to Health and Safety as regards crowd control however would I think come under the remit of the HSE. In my experience the HSE rarely identify "unsatisfactory" situations without stipulating a remediation plan to be implemented asap. Has that happened in our case?

What seems to be suggested here is that the BoD (with the Chairman mentioned specifically) being aware of the problem has thus far failed to either act on advices given or to accelerate the upgrading of facilities and for predominantly financial reasons. Further, that the previous set of stewards were in effect removed because they themselves were too vocal about their concerns. Even the implication that their reputation as a group might have been deliberately tarnished as a result.

We seem to have come along way from the issue of how you reward a group of part time, locally based stewards. Indeed the picture this paints of the Chairman/BoD is not a very nice one - were it to be true and runs counter to the current perception of the general level of harmony at the club.

So I'm confused. Truth or illusion?

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:43 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:24 pm
nebulus wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm

They were sacked because they kept saying the away end is unsafe and an accident waiting to happen,it seems the club as already been told by the relevant authorities its unsafe and not satisfactory,but the club persistantly sell as many tickets as they can when they get the chance.On top of this hornby as been doing his usual trick of not paying.So some walked out before the Bradford game due to non payment and wanting nothing to do with the away end,due to the club selling too many tickets and putting fans and stewards safety at risk...Alisha seen her arse and sacked them ,even some that weren't even at the bradford game.She even sacked the deputy safety officer whose only crime was standing upto alesha.
I was at the Bradford game and I have to say I did wonder at the number of away fans crammed into that corner (600+)? I was a Valley Parade last season and my experience as an away supporter was so very much better. I think most would agree that the facilities for away supporters do need upgrading (as do the facilities for our own supporters). Its one aspect of our ground that particularly generates a lot of negative comment

Some of Nebulus' points however are pretty concerning if true. I realise that we are currently working with an EFL dictat to improve the away facilities and that this is subject to a time limitation. So if we are within that time limitation then no rules are actually being broken. Issues with regard to Health and Safety as regards crowd control however would I think come under the remit of the HSE. In my experience the HSE rarely identify "unsatisfactory" situations without stipulating a remediation plan to be implemented asap. Has that happened in our case?

What seems to be suggested here is that the BoD (with the Chairman mentioned specifically) being aware of the problem has thus far failed to either act on advices given or to accelerate the upgrading of facilities and for predominantly financial reasons. Further, that the previous set of stewards were in effect removed because they themselves were too vocal about their concerns. Even the implication that their reputation as a group might have been deliberately tarnished as a result.

We seem to have come along way from the issue of how you reward a group of part time, locally based stewards. Indeed the picture this paints of the Chairman/BoD is not a very nice one - were it to be true and runs counter to the current perception of the general level of harmony at the club.

So I'm confused. Truth or illusion?
I am sure the safety advisory group(SAG) of Cumbria County Council are fully aware what's going on. After all it was them that reduced the away capacity to 540 towards the end of last season and have now allowed it to go back to 640.

AFC Blue
Senior Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Stewards

Post by AFC Blue » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:53 pm

nebulus wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm
Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:26 pm What is situation with Barrow stewards have most of them been sacked and if so why ?
They were sacked because they kept saying the away end is unsafe and an accident waiting to happen,it seems the club as already been told by the relevant authorities its unsafe and not satisfactory,but the club persistantly sell as many tickets as they can when they get the chance.On top of this hornby as been doing his usual trick of not paying.So some walked out before the Bradford game due to non payment and wanting nothing to do with the away end,due to the club selling too many tickets and putting fans and stewards safety at risk...Alisha seen her arse and sacked them ,even some that weren't even at the bradford game.She even sacked the deputy safety officer whose only crime was standing upto alesha.
Nice one Nebulus, truth has finally come out.
@MarkMc. Stewards can hack it. Maybe do a bit more research next time before posting a link to the North West Evening Toilet Paper.....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alley_Cat and 31 guests