Paul Edwards
Re: Paul Edwards
Good feature. Paul Edwards was a great left back rarely beaten for pace and he loved to get forward. One of the ever presents in the Baylis / Sheridan sides and he was a good tackler but I do seem to remember a mistimed tackle in the box in the Trophy final that we got away with. Surprised he never scored though.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
-
Muggy
- Member
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:08 pm
- Location: Where the Lakes Meet the Sea
- Contact:
Re: Paul Edwards
Still got Eddie's boot from Kidderminster away somewhere!
Re: Paul Edwards
Yes Eddie Johnson was a bit of a cult hero. Seem to remember an “Eddie Eddie Eddie” chant going up when he went up for a corner.
Bit of a forgotten side that Owen Brown team.
Bit of a forgotten side that Owen Brown team.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
Re: Paul Edwards
Thought he was a great player and human being for Barrow. Always gave his best. One of my favourites.
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Edwards
I have lost track of which player people are talking about now. As usual diverting from the original post.
Paul Edwards had telescopic legs. Could stretch out and reach the ball from some distances.
If I remember rightly he used to turn up for training on his pushbike.
Paul Edwards had telescopic legs. Could stretch out and reach the ball from some distances.
If I remember rightly he used to turn up for training on his pushbike.
Re: Paul Edwards
I remember Paul Edward effortlessly bending one with the outside of his left foot from far corner of the HS end box, right into the top corner - don't remember anything else about the game. Great player, though seem to remember he could be a bit hit and miss.
Loved Eddie Johnson too. I was about 14 and went every week with my Granda, who is no longer around. When ever I think of that period I think of him. Great memories of that time and team under Owen Brown.
Loved Eddie Johnson too. I was about 14 and went every week with my Granda, who is no longer around. When ever I think of that period I think of him. Great memories of that time and team under Owen Brown.
Re: Paul Edwards
From the article 'Paul made ninety one appearances in total for the club but never scored – surprising for a player who loved to get forward from defence.'
Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain
- tommy2thumbs
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Edwards
I recall the BBCRC reporter at the time used to refer to him as "gadget legs" after tv cartoon "inspector gadget"Holkerbird wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:53 pm Paul Edwards had telescopic legs. Could stretch out and reach the ball from some distances.
Also,
Didn't he score a cracking own goal when playing for Fleetwood, on a wet and cold November Tuesday?
When Barrow absolutely tonked them.
Which led directly to Fleetwood signing Vardy, and the rest is history.
La lucha continua...
Re: Paul Edwards
It was a glorious summer's evening in late August.tommy2thumbs wrote: ↑Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:19 pmI recall the BBCRC reporter at the time used to refer to him as "gadget legs" after tv cartoon "inspector gadget"Holkerbird wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:53 pm Paul Edwards had telescopic legs. Could stretch out and reach the ball from some distances.
Also,
Didn't he score a cracking own goal when playing for Fleetwood, on a wet and cold November Tuesday?
When Barrow absolutely tonked them.
Which led directly to Fleetwood signing Vardy, and the rest is history.
Popular side since '03.
Re: Paul Edwards
Yes he did, I'd forgotten about that, he got his "Eddie, Eddie" chant sang to him in appreciation!tommy2thumbs wrote: ↑Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:19 pm
Also,
Didn't he score a cracking own goal when playing for Fleetwood, on a wet and cold November Tuesday?
When Barrow absolutely tonked them.
Which led directly to Fleetwood signing Vardy, and the rest is history.
I remember his first game when he constantly played out of position and looked like a useless signing.
Fortunately, he must of received a bollocking about it and then constantly played extremely well, always put in 100% he sometimes seemed the only player to do so.
He lost a lot of his style and pace when he returned to us after a few seasons though.
Re: Paul Edwards
Well I just spent 30 minutes being confused, especially when I read the article and it said Paul Edwards played in the 2010 final (which doesn't really chime with my memories as under Owen Brown winning the Unibond!) Then I realised, I'm talking about the left back Paul Robertson - the chat about Eddie Johnson and Steve Farrelly threw me off!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bruce, Stephen Leonard and 10 guests