It was long, long ago, on Monday 13th November 1967 – very early in our old Division 3 days – that another Barrow player grabbed a hat-trick at Holker Street against Colchester United in front of a crowd of 5685. (Mister Pleasant, I'm glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember this!) We went on to win 5-0 that night and for a while last night I wondered if we might not only match the hat-trick but also the final score.
I recall back then that there were strong rumours that Colchester would only be able to field a much weakened side at Holker Street so Barrow were ready to make hay while the floodlights shone. Indeed, they did just that. By contrast, last night we didn't face a weakened Colchester side but we did face a weak Colchester side. They will be relegated if they carry on like that.
It was Dave Storf who got the hat-trick on that occasion back in '67 so Billy Waters follows in his footsteps almost 55 years later. Storf was, at that time, Barrow's record purchase and he had been signed in the summer of 1967 to replace our former England international left-winger, Brian Pilkington, who had retired following our promotion from the 4th Division. Storf was a sensation in season 1967-68, ending the season as our top scorer with 16 league goals from the left flank. He also got our consolation goal when we lost 1-2 at home against Leicester in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, firing past a young Peter Shilton at the Steelworks End. At the time I think a lot of us couldn't believe just how good Storf was. He stayed with us for five seasons until we lost our place in the Football League in the summer of 1972. He injured himself badly in some sort of accident that more or less led to him finishing his football career, aside from a brief comeback attempt in non-league. Storf was clearly a talented footballer but he was never as "stand-out" again in his last four seasons as he had been in his very first one with us. He is now 78 years old and the last I heard he was living back in his home city of Sheffield.
Footnote: Google searches that have Storf down as 91 years old, and feature not Storf but Jason Walker in their pictures, should be treated as very amateurish errors.
Billy Does A Storf!
Billy Does A Storf!
- Attachments
-
- Storf v Colchester 1.jpg (882.79 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
-
- Storf v Colchester 2.jpg (467.39 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7481
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
Great player was Storf and possibly one of the last of the bandy-legged wingers you used to see quite regularly. I wonder what would have caused such an affliction for players of that position? Too much training? Any Physios out there?
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
-
MisterPleasant
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5249
- Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
- Contact:
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
Ha ha, I'd love to claim my memory is that good but sadly not. I will have been there, without doubt, but I relied upon the oracle that is Adam Johnson in his match commentary - hugely impressive that he had such info at his fingertips.
Don't let the old man in.
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
That was our last home hat-trick in the FL, but Dave Storf also got our last ever FL hat-trick, at Bradford City in 1969-70, which ended 3-3.
- Adam29
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7290
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
Cant take any credit for any of the “historical info” that I give outMisterPleasant wrote: ↑Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:01 pm Ha ha, I'd love to claim my memory is that good but sadly not. I will have been there, without doubt, but I relied upon the oracle that is Adam Johnson in his match commentary - hugely impressive that he had such info at his fingertips.
We have a fantastic club historian in Phil Yelland who deservedly so received the accolades he got a couple of weeks back
I message him everytime we come up against “new” opposition to ask for head to head info, also provides me with info on winning runs (and sometimes sadly losing runs)
An amazing source of information and a credit to the club
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
I remember that night in 67 very well, i was 14 & went with a friend (probably not allowed now under the current rules), a great evening that firmly placed Dave Storf as my footballing hero.
Re: Billy Does A Storf!
As mentioned by PJD Dave Storf's career was ended by a freak accident. Apparently he walked into a glass door while on holiday in the Med (probably had too much falling-down water) and damaged something in his leg.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests