Carlisle tickets
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
The wonderful thing about the English pyramid is that generally, merit is a fundamental to its workings. This facilitates promotion and relegation. Relegation, in particular, is not dictated by size of ground, facilities or how big a club's crowds are. Promotion, of course, can be affected by 'facilities and capacities' though, in the main, affected clubs are 'given time'.
Since getting back into the Football League, following 48 years in the non-league 'wilderness', my own practical experience has, on occasion, not been dis-similar to Bakewell Blue's Blackpool supporting neighbour. Sometimes, I have done a double-take when approaching a ground or thought to myself, 'I cannot believe that we are competing at the same level as this lot'. At the same time, such as at Crewe last week, my thought was 'brilliant to be playing against Crewe again' yet looking at Gresty Road, the 48 year plus difference in fortunes manifested itself at a ground that was an absolute tip last time I went there. Holker Street was way better than Gresty Road at that time.
Blackpool FC was competing in the Premier League not too long ago. The club has fallen. Barrow AFC has, at the same time, risen. Sometimes fans find it very difficult to adjust to the changes. I did after we were booted out of the Football League in 1972.
Since getting back into the Football League, following 48 years in the non-league 'wilderness', my own practical experience has, on occasion, not been dis-similar to Bakewell Blue's Blackpool supporting neighbour. Sometimes, I have done a double-take when approaching a ground or thought to myself, 'I cannot believe that we are competing at the same level as this lot'. At the same time, such as at Crewe last week, my thought was 'brilliant to be playing against Crewe again' yet looking at Gresty Road, the 48 year plus difference in fortunes manifested itself at a ground that was an absolute tip last time I went there. Holker Street was way better than Gresty Road at that time.
Blackpool FC was competing in the Premier League not too long ago. The club has fallen. Barrow AFC has, at the same time, risen. Sometimes fans find it very difficult to adjust to the changes. I did after we were booted out of the Football League in 1972.
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Should make for an entertaining afternoon's football.Moonie wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:33 amYup, the next two games will likely decide our fate in terms of automatic promotion. Absolute minimum of 3 points to keep hopes alive. Any less and we'll be in a desperate scramble for the playoffs. We rarely do things the easy way, so we'll likely be coming to Holker Street in dire need of 3 points.Sea Dog Sam wrote: ↑Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:49 pm Carlisle's dream of automatic promotion might have virtually ended before our fixture at Holker Street. They play two home games against their promotion rivals Northampton and Stockport before their match with us. That's two tough games before their encounter in NW Lancs![]()
Next seasons games against Carlisle and Morecambe will be something to look forward to. But I can't see the attraction that Accrington hold?
Re: Carlisle tickets
Agree with a lot of that above. Was at Crewe & one of their supporters told me the big stand was built on the back of the money the club received for the sale of Danny Murphy to Liverpool in 1999. I actually thought Crewe's ground looked a bit odd - a capacity of around 10500 of which over 7000 fans could be housed in that new stand - so the other 3 sides barely accommodated 2000 fans in each section it all felt a bit out of proportion. Obviously a lot better than our ground. For me the Crossbar hinders development. If that could be developed into say a 3 to 4 thousand stand with dressing rooms fans areas etc etc then I do feel we could give over the Holker St end to away fan seating. (In our league days we congregated as much at the Steelworks End as at the Holker St End). I know what I'm saying is probably a pipe dream because in the end its all about having the money to do that. Probably need to find a Danny Murphy to sell!Cubbins Paratrooper wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:37 am The wonderful thing about the English pyramid is that generally, merit is a fundamental to its workings. This facilitates promotion and relegation. Relegation, in particular, is not dictated by size of ground, facilities or how big a club's crowds are. Promotion, of course, can be affected by 'facilities and capacities' though, in the main, affected clubs are 'given time'.
Since getting back into the Football League, following 48 years in the non-league 'wilderness', my own practical experience has, on occasion, not been dis-similar to Bakewell Blue's Blackpool supporting neighbour. Sometimes, I have done a double-take when approaching a ground or thought to myself, 'I cannot believe that we are competing at the same level as this lot'. At the same time, such as at Crewe last week, my thought was 'brilliant to be playing against Crewe again' yet looking at Gresty Road, the 48 year plus difference in fortunes manifested itself at a ground that was an absolute tip last time I went there. Holker Street was way better than Gresty Road at that time.
Blackpool FC was competing in the Premier League not too long ago. The club has fallen. Barrow AFC has, at the same time, risen. Sometimes fans find it very difficult to adjust to the changes. I did after we were booted out of the Football League in 1972.
-
Cromwell58
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 840
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
I was at Crewe is Gresty Road the nearest football ground to a station ?
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
I would imagine so, never reached a platform so quickly after a game. Not that it mattered as my train was cancellled!
-
Lancaster Branch
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5509
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Lancaster, maybe?
Re: Carlisle tickets
Out of grounds I’ve visited Sutton, Bescot Stadium Station Walsall probably then Lancaster City and the metro at Bede South Shields all pretty close.Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:26 pm I was at Crewe is Gresty Road the nearest football ground to a station ?
Forgot to add Paisley St James Station at St Mirren too but I never used it.
Last edited by McMark on Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Lancaster Branch
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5509
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Good shouts, McMark.
-
MisterPleasant
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5249
- Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
To be fair, Holker Street's not that much of a stretch.
Don't let the old man in.
- 32mile_cul-de-sac
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2443
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm
Re: Carlisle tickets
Bolton?Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:26 pm I was at Crewe is Gresty Road the nearest football ground to a station ?
- Adam29
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7290
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Exeter
St James Park station you pretty much exit the station at the turnstile
St James Park station you pretty much exit the station at the turnstile
-
Cubbins Paratrooper
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm
- Location: NW London
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Stand now looks to be completely sold out.
Re: Carlisle tickets
Sold 3500 as of one hour ago. Main stand sold out
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle tickets
Everyone take a friend or family member.....Lets have a sell out crowd roaring on the lads BLUEBIRDssssss
- 32mile_cul-de-sac
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2443
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests