AFC Wimbledon
-
olbarrafancumbak
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2489
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Thought Dallas goal was well taken and I don't think we have seen enough of him yet but I like him more than aqua and Garner from what I've seen.
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7481
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Yep we were like the walking dead at the back for the last two goals, we needed fresher legs much earlier and someone to robustly marshal the defence. I rate Canavan but he's not one for proactively organising and handing out bollockings. Ironically, he would have had to bollock himself yesterday which he didn't do cos he doesn't do that but he needs to do.
On a separate issue Ecclestone looks more a midfield dynamo than a full back to me.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7129
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
We also had Canavan, Spence Mahoney and Farman injured think that he had more to do with anything Man City have had their top 4 players out and look what's happened to them!AugustusCorpa wrote: ↑Sun Nov 17, 2024 9:59 am Since the Chelsea game we’ve played 9 league games and only won one of them. We’ve only scored 2 goals in one game since then, the Cheltenham win. Disappointing FA Cup exit to.
Was all going really well until we played Chelsea.
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7481
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Agreed - he's the best we have but that's not saying a lot really and he is a loanee.olbarrafancumbak wrote: ↑Sun Nov 17, 2024 10:50 am Thought Dallas goal was well taken and I don't think we have seen enough of him yet but I like him more than aqua and Garner from what I've seen.
Last edited by Wintergreen on Sun Nov 17, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7129
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
I don't think Canavan or farman looked fit to me !Wintergreen wrote: ↑Sun Nov 17, 2024 10:57 amYep we were like the walking dead at the back for the last two goals, we needed fresher legs much earlier and someone to robustly marshal the defence. I rate Canavan but he's not one for proactively organising and handing out bollockings. Ironically, he would have had to bollock himself yesterday which he didn't do cos he doesn't do that but he needs to do.
On a separate issue Ecclestone looks more a midfield dynamo than a full back to me.
- 32mile_cul-de-sac
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2443
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Agree that Ecclestone looks better going forward than defending, he got beat time and again and was unable to stop crosses coming in. Jackson had a mare, his passing was way off yesterday as was Gotts.Wintergreen wrote: ↑Sun Nov 17, 2024 10:57 amYep we were like the walking dead at the back for the last two goals, we needed fresher legs much earlier and someone to robustly marshal the defence. I rate Canavan but he's not one for proactively organising and handing out bollockings. Ironically, he would have had to bollock himself yesterday which he didn't do cos he doesn't do that but he needs to do.
On a separate issue Ecclestone looks more a midfield dynamo than a full back to me.
- Bigfathoss
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2767
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
I think we have at least two excellent CBs in Canavan* and Vassel, but I am very concerned about the wider defenders being expected to bomb up and down the pitch, and so we are looking at, and utilising, attacking defenders. I think it's time we shored up our defence, absorbed some oppo attacks and tried to work on the counter. I'm a traditionalist, and I do think there is a lot to be said for traditional defenders and defence strategies at this level, particularly for a team still finding an increased level of competition.blumooncrab wrote: ↑Sat Nov 16, 2024 9:33 pmDefensive errors ( and not scoring) have been our most consistent feature for a couple of months now. I don’t care how we do it but we need to start winning. I said I was worried a few weeks back. Today , confidence drained out of the team when the second goal went in .
I’m trying to be objective - football is not too bad but winning is everything and we’re miles off that .
*I saw this as a massive off-day for Canavan. He isn't fully up to speed yet after his absence.
A=A
Your life, is YOUR life. Live it.
Your life, is YOUR life. Live it.
Re: AFC Wimbledon
What I noticed yesterday was how much bigger the Wimbledon team was compared to us. They started to really physically out muscle us from about 65 mins onwards then shut us completely out after the two goals by Stevens (who I did mention as a threat in earlier posts).
Some other thoughts- I was surprised to see Farman playing he definitely doesn't look quite ready and if so that's the managers fault. Canavan looks slow to me I hope that game was a one off but there also appears a fitness issue there. But its no good picking half fit players in Farman & Canavan (however influential they are) as they play in critical positions Stanway and Stokes are not exactly bad players. Eccelstone is definitely a wing back. Maybe at present 3-5-2 (or 4-5-1 with the amount of away games coming up) might be a way forward but will the manager be brave enough? Thought Dallas worked well whatever others feel about him. Definitely our best finisher but who supplies the bullets? Mahoney can cause problems but a little like Whitfield he needs to get into space to cause problems - he will drift out of games otherwise. We've also concerned a lot of goals through wide men getting in low crosses recently yesterday's third goal, Colchester, Morecambe. Teams know about this & we must stop that from happening....somehow.
Pretty worrying drive back to Manchester last night.
Some other thoughts- I was surprised to see Farman playing he definitely doesn't look quite ready and if so that's the managers fault. Canavan looks slow to me I hope that game was a one off but there also appears a fitness issue there. But its no good picking half fit players in Farman & Canavan (however influential they are) as they play in critical positions Stanway and Stokes are not exactly bad players. Eccelstone is definitely a wing back. Maybe at present 3-5-2 (or 4-5-1 with the amount of away games coming up) might be a way forward but will the manager be brave enough? Thought Dallas worked well whatever others feel about him. Definitely our best finisher but who supplies the bullets? Mahoney can cause problems but a little like Whitfield he needs to get into space to cause problems - he will drift out of games otherwise. We've also concerned a lot of goals through wide men getting in low crosses recently yesterday's third goal, Colchester, Morecambe. Teams know about this & we must stop that from happening....somehow.
Pretty worrying drive back to Manchester last night.
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7129
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Pretty worrying drive back to Manchester last night
I had a worrying walk home never mind going to Manchester!, pity some of our player's don't appreciate how far some of our fans travel supporting them!
I had a worrying walk home never mind going to Manchester!, pity some of our player's don't appreciate how far some of our fans travel supporting them!
- BarrowLad71
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 569
- Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Think Ian Wood should be taking some stick. At the end of the day he wanted control of the transfers which leads to the eventual falling out with Wild. He appoints clemance for this free attacking football we are seeing
and the poor quality of signings this summer so far and we are going backwards. We’ve just given him the rest of the club too haven’t we, interesting
Re: AFC Wimbledon
The team are not fit enough and half are not good enough the manager talks shit and he's on borrowed time
-
SayitagainSam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 913
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 pm
- Contact:
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Ian wood obviously talks a good job .BarrowLad71 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 17, 2024 12:19 pm Think Ian Wood should be taking some stick. At the end of the day he wanted control of the transfers which leads to the eventual falling out with Wild. He appoints clemance for this free attacking football we are seeingand the poor quality of signings this summer so far and we are going backwards. We’ve just given him the rest of the club too haven’t we, interesting
Clemence and him both need to go.
How happy must Gillingham be that their decision to get rid of him has been the right choice.
-
bluessupporter
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3425
- Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Wood must have a silver tongue. Became - I assume - responsible for signing players of his choice, and getting a place on the Board as well.
Re: AFC Wimbledon
Not a fan of anyone but the Manager deciding which players we need to sign.... we seem to have wasted a lot of money on bang average players. They are on a good thing and some on 4 figure wages a week. They need to be giving and producing much more.
Very disappointing period. IF the 3 drawn games where we conceded in added time we had won, we may not even be having this conversation. Fine margins .
Very disappointing period. IF the 3 drawn games where we conceded in added time we had won, we may not even be having this conversation. Fine margins .
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests