Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
Cokey
Platinum Member
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: 7 minutes from greatness
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Cokey » Sun Jan 26, 2025 9:01 am

HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Sat Jan 25, 2025 7:30 pm Just much more like Barrow that wasn’t it? All this talk of exciting attacking football etc; we just want a team that works their [SwearFilter] off, tackles hard and crucially wins games of football doesn’t matter how that comes!
Exactly mate. More of that and we will do well!

Well done to whoever chose the music at the full time whistle. ‘Fly on the Whings of Love’. Superb! :scarf:

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2759
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by mall » Sun Jan 26, 2025 10:46 am

Loved the way Duru decided to keep the ball in play instead of opting for the throw in-just before the pen decision. Nothing special about it but a lot would have let the ball go out for the throw in.

User avatar
Alley_Cat
Silver Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Alley_Cat » Sun Jan 26, 2025 11:18 am

Gotts was fantastic today but Duru was standout MOTM, can’t understand why it didn’t go to him

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Sun Jan 26, 2025 11:24 am

Alley_Cat wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 11:18 am Gotts was fantastic today but Duru was standout MOTM, can’t understand why it didn’t go to him
Duru was very good but Gotts with his goal and his overall 90 minute contribution deserved it imo

Desmond2-2
Silver Member
Posts: 1250
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Desmond2-2 » Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:19 pm

Just what we needed that. Some excellent performances,particularly defensive.Think Williams did okay, Duru was excellent and preistly made challenges Aqua doesn’t.I know this win was everything we wanted,but 28% possession at home,I’m not so sure about.

JayBee
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by JayBee » Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:22 pm

I don't think anybody has posted this but that was our first double this season 2-1 and 3-0.

John_Bucks
Gold Member
Posts: 2368
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 am
Location: Barrow-in-Furness
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by John_Bucks » Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:36 pm

Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:19 pm Just what we needed that. Some excellent performances,particularly defensive.Think Williams did okay, Duru was excellent and preistly made challenges Aqua doesn’t.I know this win was everything we wanted,but 28% possession at home,I’m not so sure about.
Grimsby passed the ball around their own back line and keeper for most of their possession. They created very little. Our lads had the ball less but used it so much better. I know what I’d rather have.
Life is always better when it's better

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:56 pm

Alley_Cat wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 11:18 am Gotts was fantastic today but Duru was standout MOTM, can’t understand why it didn’t go to him
Agreed. He's already been in the Blackburn first team squad this season and you could see why. Looks perfect for the wing back role as he goes past defenders with ease but can also defend. Got a bit over-confident late in the second half and lost the ball a couple of times but will learn and looks like a great prospect. You can see why some Blackburn fans were surprised he had been loaned to an EFL 2 club and not an EFL 1 club.

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:58 pm

John_Bucks wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:36 pm
Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:19 pm Just what we needed that. Some excellent performances,particularly defensive.Think Williams did okay, Duru was excellent and preistly made challenges Aqua doesn’t.I know this win was everything we wanted,but 28% possession at home,I’m not so sure about.
Grimsby passed the ball around their own back line and keeper for most of their possession. They created very little. Our lads had the ball less but used it so much better. I know what I’d rather have.
Yes. They looked exactly like we have looked for most of this season!

Pedro
Platinum Member
Posts: 3489
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Pedro » Sun Jan 26, 2025 1:18 pm

Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:19 pm Just what we needed that. Some excellent performances,particularly defensive.Think Williams did okay, Duru was excellent and preistly made challenges Aqua doesn’t.I know this win was everything we wanted,but 28% possession at home,I’m not so sure about.
The Manager said post match wants more possession.
How many games have we had a large amount of possession and lost

bluessupporter
Platinum Member
Posts: 3425
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by bluessupporter » Sun Jan 26, 2025 1:45 pm

Pedro wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 1:18 pm
Desmond2-2 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:19 pm Just what we needed that. Some excellent performances,particularly defensive.Think Williams did okay, Duru was excellent and preistly made challenges Aqua doesn’t.I know this win was everything we wanted,but 28% possession at home,I’m not so sure about.
The Manager said post match wants more possession.
How many games have we had a large amount of possession and lost
Do you ever say anything positive or is your glass always half empty?

romabarrow
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by romabarrow » Sun Jan 26, 2025 2:14 pm

FORZA BLUEBIRDS, wow we really needed that win, lets hope the new manager bounce carries on for the the rest of the season. Hard game Wednesday night then Newport away, would be happy with four points. Well done team and best wishes to the new manager. Bluebird per sempre.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Jan 26, 2025 3:06 pm

Louis29 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 25, 2025 10:09 pm Most happy for Ian Wood. Gets a lot of bad press in my opinion. When you look at our budget and attractiveness compared to other teams in the league I think he has done a wicked job. Yes we will sign some duds but the hope is always to find the odd gem. I know I will get slagged of for this but I think he will only improve us over the years
Can’t disagree with any of that.

Duru & Gotts were the stand-out performers yesterday but it would be hard to pick a player who had a bad game.
Really good to see Smith get his goal, I doubt two weeks ago we’d have had a player in that position waiting to pounce.
One thing we need to look at is finding a decent penalty taker because the last two we’ve had have been very very poor. Surely Spence or Jackson would be the better options.

Onto Wednesday….
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Sun Jan 26, 2025 3:13 pm

Louis29 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 25, 2025 10:09 pm Most happy for Ian Wood. Gets a lot of bad press in my opinion. When you look at our budget and attractiveness compared to other teams in the league I think he has done a wicked job. Yes we will sign some duds but the hope is always to find the odd gem. I know I will get slagged of for this but I think he will only improve us over the years
I agree 100%. To many looking for a scapegoat not knowing the numerous other things Iain has done and does do for the club the staff and the players as well as his role as part of the recruitment team

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Grimsby Town,match thread

Post by Jonty » Sun Jan 26, 2025 4:20 pm

Just seen the alternative angle of Vassels headed goal from the corner. Have to say Kyle Cameron going down like a sack of spuds is not good to see. Takes the shine of that headed goal. Thought he had he gone down under a hefty challenge but after seeing that…. I don’t think any Barrow fan wants to see that sort of stuff.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beanmuncher, Bluebirds Trust and 27 guests