Next 8 games 6 at home with 2 close away games at Barrow & Harrogate, if Carlisle can`t over take Tranmere(only 6pts behind) then possible relegation to the National league, I still believe Carlisle will stay up.
Carlisle game
-
behind the goals
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2242
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
Re: Carlisle game
I don't t think Casson had the amount of money that Carlisle have,that was the problemolbarrafancumbak wrote: ↑Wed Feb 12, 2025 2:09 pmThis all sniffs of our time with American owner.. overpaid for a bunch that clearly wasn't good enough. They know they have a few quid and the players know this along with agents..bluessupporter wrote: ↑Wed Feb 12, 2025 12:37 pm
Wouldn't worry too much about that. A lot of the players won't want to play National League, and if they can get an EFL team that wants them, that's where they'll go.
Been interesting watching the progress of the owners and again, their journey looks similar to Paul Casson and his family.. money doesn't mean success and to be fair, some of us probably got into the illusion that we would all of a sudden have the best players, the best ground, best facilities etc etc reality is, they were naive and probably didn't do the homework despite claiming to be astute business owners. the piataks came in guns a blazing with the "own the North" claim and look like they and the fans have had their pants pulled down and slapped in the face with a reality check. I keep saying I want us to spank them when we play and to see them go down and part of me does! Only through the rivalry but who else would sell out like they do when they play at ours and who else would give the relative excitement of the "Cumbria" derby?? We Morecambe but they don't travel like Carlisle do and they also have a shorter journey.. if both slip down, we will have lost two good local rivalries.
The other thing too, apart from the cup game we have not taken all 3pts off Carlisle since our return to efl and I would love it if we absolutely thrashed you and gave you one on the chin for that awful drubbin you gave a us! If that puts a nail in your coffin then so be it but I am enjoying watching you struggle and suffer a bit.
If you do go down, I think again some will think you will bounce straight back but as we all know, it's not what you would call a semi pro league like it once was!
I am just looking forward to the game and hope it's a great atmosphere where we finally see us taking all the points .
Re: Carlisle game
Yes, Carlisle will stay up and I hope they do, they are a well supported club.behind the goals wrote: ↑Wed Feb 12, 2025 10:29 pmNext 8 games 6 at home with 2 close away games at Barrow & Harrogate, if Carlisle can`t over take Tranmere(only 6pts behind) then possible relegation to the National league, I still believe Carlisle will stay up.
I for one love the Cumbrian Derbies-who else can we rag with!
If Carlisle went down', that would put the spotlight on Barrow as being the most 'Northern Esposure'-and we don't want that-do we!!
Re: Carlisle game
No such thing as a Cumbrian derby when i was a lad.
Re: Carlisle game
But it should mean as a lower league club Barrow will get even more coverage on Radio Cumbriamall wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2025 2:10 amYes, Carlisle will stay up and I hope they do, they are a well supported club.behind the goals wrote: ↑Wed Feb 12, 2025 10:29 pm
Next 8 games 6 at home with 2 close away games at Barrow & Harrogate, if Carlisle can`t over take Tranmere(only 6pts behind) then possible relegation to the National league, I still believe Carlisle will stay up.
I for one love the Cumbrian Derbies-who else can we rag with!
If Carlisle went down', that would put the spotlight on Barrow as being the most 'Northern Esposure'-and we don't want that-do we!!
-
olbarrafancumbak
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2489
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm
- Contact:
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4100
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
I think they will stop up but it would be funny if they didn't.
Tranmere and maybe Harrogate look most under threat I would say.
But then I thought Carlisle might have picked up points from the last two games but didn't. No good sides in league 2.
Comparisons with Casson.. no where near the same they have invested in the ground and infurtucture to boost match day income. Casson bought a boiler and the attitude to making money was does it look like we need the money.
Tranmere and maybe Harrogate look most under threat I would say.
But then I thought Carlisle might have picked up points from the last two games but didn't. No good sides in league 2.
Comparisons with Casson.. no where near the same they have invested in the ground and infurtucture to boost match day income. Casson bought a boiler and the attitude to making money was does it look like we need the money.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
It’s odd that many still believe that neither Carlisle nor Morecambe will go down. And that includes some decent punters.
And yet their position seems to get worse each week. I think if Tranmere were able to find some form even for just a couple of games the level of optimism would fall very quickly. I would also warn against assuming Horrorgate will wither and die. They may be the ugliest side in the EFL but they are seasoned survivors.
I do think that one of Carlisle or Morecambe may well escape but not both. Without being in any way South Cumbrian about this, given the trials and tribulations that have dogged Morecambe, as opposed to the relative riches on offer at Brunson Park, Carlisle have no excuses not to survive.
And yet their position seems to get worse each week. I think if Tranmere were able to find some form even for just a couple of games the level of optimism would fall very quickly. I would also warn against assuming Horrorgate will wither and die. They may be the ugliest side in the EFL but they are seasoned survivors.
I do think that one of Carlisle or Morecambe may well escape but not both. Without being in any way South Cumbrian about this, given the trials and tribulations that have dogged Morecambe, as opposed to the relative riches on offer at Brunson Park, Carlisle have no excuses not to survive.
Re: Carlisle game
The biggest thing Carlisle have against them is expectations are rightly ever so high not just by the supporters but the investors too.
-
bluessupporter
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3425
- Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm
Re: Carlisle game
I think olbarra means that Cumbria didn't exist. We were in Lancashire!olbarrafancumbak wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2025 8:25 amTo be fair...because we never actually played in the same league for many many years, so was no such thing as a cumbrian derby for Many![]()
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8337
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
Most seasons both clubs would have been cut adrift with the seasons they’ve had; that’s a large part of the reason many of us think they’ll stay up. Can you see Morecambe or Carlisle winning 2/3 games in a row at the same time Tranmere lose that many? I certainly can, especially the squad Carlisle have nowSuffolk Blue wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2025 10:20 am It’s odd that many still believe that neither Carlisle nor Morecambe will go down. And that includes some decent punters.
And yet their position seems to get worse each week. I think if Tranmere were able to find some form even for just a couple of games the level of optimism would fall very quickly. I would also warn against assuming Horrorgate will wither and die. They may be the ugliest side in the EFL but they are seasoned survivors.
I do think that one of Carlisle or Morecambe may well escape but not both. Without being in any way South Cumbrian about this, given the trials and tribulations that have dogged Morecambe, as opposed to the relative riches on offer at Brunson Park, Carlisle have no excuses not to survive.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
True enough HK. There are currently four teams with fewer points than games played. A couple more on the cusp. So the chances of 46 points being enough are currently pretty decent.
As we have found out, wins are precious, and draws are pretty common between all but the best of sides this season. Both Carlisle and Morecambe however are probably three wins adrift of overtaking Tranmere and then another 3-4 wins from making a realistic case for survival. So each will realistically need to win about 50% of their remaining games to get to a point where they might be looking at teams behind them. That’s also assuming that the half dozen teams currently above them get virtually sod all. Our own requirement to get to 46 points now is 0.5ppg. Morcambe and Carlisle are needing more like 1.5ppg to get there and that’s equivalent to decent mid table form over the remaining games.
By no means impossible but would require a significant step change in performance and some luck. Though I have to say that is precisely what Newport have done. But unlikely that both teams would be able to do this, with Carlisle being the most likely.
As we have found out, wins are precious, and draws are pretty common between all but the best of sides this season. Both Carlisle and Morecambe however are probably three wins adrift of overtaking Tranmere and then another 3-4 wins from making a realistic case for survival. So each will realistically need to win about 50% of their remaining games to get to a point where they might be looking at teams behind them. That’s also assuming that the half dozen teams currently above them get virtually sod all. Our own requirement to get to 46 points now is 0.5ppg. Morcambe and Carlisle are needing more like 1.5ppg to get there and that’s equivalent to decent mid table form over the remaining games.
By no means impossible but would require a significant step change in performance and some luck. Though I have to say that is precisely what Newport have done. But unlikely that both teams would be able to do this, with Carlisle being the most likely.
Re: Carlisle game
Also because Barrow was in Lancashire when I was a lad.olbarrafancumbak wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2025 8:25 amTo be fair...because we never actually played in the same league for many many years, so was no such thing as a cumbrian derby for Many![]()
Re: Carlisle game
Carlisle are down i hope.
-
behind the goals
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2242
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Carlisle game
Carlisle have sold all tickets for Barrow match
632 Seating & 298 Standing, hopefully we get more home fans than Tuesday 2,647 should be looking for at least 3,500 but that Thursday night game going to be very difficult for some.
632 Seating & 298 Standing, hopefully we get more home fans than Tuesday 2,647 should be looking for at least 3,500 but that Thursday night game going to be very difficult for some.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests