Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Thu Aug 21, 2025 3:46 pm

Sea Dog Sam wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 2:21 pm

I think we've been punching above our weight for some time. I honestly believe that our future status is to be a National League club. No disgrace in that. One only has to look at the clubs currently in that league. Without a massive investment from somebody I can't see us being able to cope with the current or future financial pressure from being in EFL Div 2.

I whiole heartedly agree. The owners have and are doing a fantastic job but they have simply done a fantastic holding role in hope somebody comes in to help with the current financial burden they season on season they incurr to help push the club on. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later

olefogey
Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by olefogey » Thu Aug 21, 2025 4:51 pm

Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 3:46 pm
Sea Dog Sam wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 2:21 pm

I think we've been punching above our weight for some time. I honestly believe that our future status is to be a National League club. No disgrace in that. One only has to look at the clubs currently in that league. Without a massive investment from somebody I can't see us being able to cope with the current or future financial pressure from being in EFL Div 2.

I whiole heartedly agree. The owners have and are doing a fantastic job but they have simply done a fantastic holding role in hope somebody comes in to help with the current financial burden they season on season they incurr to help push the club on. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later
Not really sure that being in the NL would be the answer. I know its a while ago since we were there, but Tony Keen always said it was the worst of all worlds, with relatively high wage and travel costs but no big annual subsidy which EFL 2 clubs receive. I think crowds would also dip dramatically, and we could well be struggling just as hard to survive, but at a lower level. Nobody pretends it is easy, but there are clubs of our size which manage to survive at EFL 2 level and, in my opinion, that is where all efforts should be concentrated.

Online
russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:00 pm

There are 4 clubs I can think of in our league who I would expect to get lower average attendances than us on a relatively even performance basis - Barnet, Bromley, Harrogate and Accrington - although there may even be one or two more. However, I suspect they will be owned by people much wealthier than our owners.

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by mall » Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:00 pm

'IF' we went down the club would lose a thousand or so off the gate straight away - a big chunk of revenue.

HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8341
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by HenneysKnee » Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:30 pm

russell_anderson wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:00 pm There are 4 clubs I can think of in our league who I would expect to get lower average attendances than us on a relatively even performance basis - Barnet, Bromley, Harrogate and Accrington - although there may even be one or two more. However, I suspect they will be owned by people much wealthier than our owners.
And away crowds gonna be a killer for us as well this season; be some real low away figures

Online
russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:32 pm

HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:30 pm
russell_anderson wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:00 pm There are 4 clubs I can think of in our league who I would expect to get lower average attendances than us on a relatively even performance basis - Barnet, Bromley, Harrogate and Accrington - although there may even be one or two more. However, I suspect they will be owned by people much wealthier than our owners.
And away crowds gonna be a killer for us as well this season; be some real low away figures
Good point. Very true.

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:51 pm

olefogey wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 4:51 pm
Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 3:46 pm

I whiole heartedly agree. The owners have and are doing a fantastic job but they have simply done a fantastic holding role in hope somebody comes in to help with the current financial burden they season on season they incurr to help push the club on. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later
Not really sure that being in the NL would be the answer. I know its a while ago since we were there, but Tony Keen always said it was the worst of all worlds, with relatively high wage and travel costs but no big annual subsidy which EFL 2 clubs receive. I think crowds would also dip dramatically, and we could well be struggling just as hard to survive, but at a lower level. Nobody pretends it is easy, but there are clubs of our size which manage to survive at EFL 2 level and, in my opinion, that is where all efforts should be concentrated.
Absolutely all efforts should be put into surviving in league 2 and I’m certain they are. The problem we have is that it’s getting harder and harder for us to do that.

Gazza
Veteran Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:09 am
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Gazza » Thu Aug 21, 2025 6:17 pm

Given everything that has and is being said about the financial situation and the fact it’s only going to be even more challenging moving forward, then we need investment and soon!!

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Jonty » Thu Aug 21, 2025 6:24 pm

Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 5:51 pm
olefogey wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 4:51 pm

Not really sure that being in the NL would be the answer. I know its a while ago since we were there, but Tony Keen always said it was the worst of all worlds, with relatively high wage and travel costs but no big annual subsidy which EFL 2 clubs receive. I think crowds would also dip dramatically, and we could well be struggling just as hard to survive, but at a lower level. Nobody pretends it is easy, but there are clubs of our size which manage to survive at EFL 2 level and, in my opinion, that is where all efforts should be concentrated.
Absolutely all efforts should be put into surviving in league 2 and I’m certain they are. The problem we have is that it’s getting harder and harder for us to do that.
To remain competitive, the operating costs to the club would have to be similar in NL where there are some big spenders, but the significant loss in revenue from being in the EFL would hit us massively. Lower crowds, lower sponsorships and significantly less TV revenues.

Relegation would set us back massively. Let’s not even think about it

Tony Keen called it the “brutal league” and he was absolutely right.


Our situation has never changed in terms of what we have to do in the transfer market. We have to be savvy and pick up players who can make a difference. It makes no odds if they are 18 or 36, but they have to be consistently playing games. Think Tom White. Always ready for a long season.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7141
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by blue nige » Thu Aug 21, 2025 7:27 pm

We haven't done it Jonty, I fear the worst !

Griffin
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Griffin » Thu Aug 21, 2025 7:40 pm

Whereas I agree with many of the comments on this thread, I still think that it is too early to be panicking.
If my memory serves, last season we won 4 of our first 6 games, including the 4-0 thrashing of Port Vale who were promoted.
That good form didn't last: perhaps our current poor form won't either. We can buy hope.

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7141
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by blue nige » Thu Aug 21, 2025 7:49 pm

Griffin wrote: ↑Thu Aug 21, 2025 7:40 pm Whereas I agree with many of the comments on this thread, I still think that it is too early to be panicking.
If my memory serves, last season we won 4 of our first 6 games, including the 4-0 thrashing of Port Vale who were promoted.
That good form didn't last: perhaps our current poor form won't either. We can buy hope.
We had a better team then, it's completely different now ,new players trying to adapt and key players injured, it couldn't be any worse!

Barrow afc 2018
Veteran Member
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by Barrow afc 2018 » Thu Aug 21, 2025 8:11 pm

I don’t care what the situation is, this manager and BoD won’t let us down. The chips are down yes but we’ve been here before let’s just do what we always do and get right behind the lads and the club.

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by mall » Thu Aug 21, 2025 8:12 pm

I also now fear the worst after that Horrorgate debacle. Having said that, whoever the player is that's coming in, along with Harper and MJ when fit again could provide the inspiration to start to push us up the table.

Online
CH BAFC
Silver Member
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow match thread

Post by CH BAFC » Thu Aug 21, 2025 9:12 pm

Regarding our future if we want to keep competing at an EFL level with investment etc.... who would come in and buy us/invest in us..... can't see us being very lucrative for opportunities or investing into.
:scarf:

Post Reply