Club to go to cashless payments

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
JammyBluebird
Silver Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by JammyBluebird » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:25 pm

xerxes wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:12 pm
Jonty wrote: ↑Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Discrimination- I can’t do that on my Nokia 3310.
And some may not have a printer, or even a computer. So they have to queue once for a ticket, and then again at the turnstile. This is wrong regardless of whether you pay by cash or card.
I'm sorry but it's not wrong. It's standard practice at most sporting/concert venues.

The reason is when start getting big ques the people paying cash hold up the que and lots miss the start of the game. Having worked the turnstiles several times at Barrow, it's absolutely hellish on a busy match as you cannot process that many cash transactions in 10/15 minutes just prior to kick off.

A system where you can let people in and no one is paying should mean that there are only small fast moving ques at the turnstiles.

capman
Bronze Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by capman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:28 pm

Bull shit what Happens when the scanners don’t work to scan the tickets or when people take ages to get their mobile phones out the pockets you get the same queues with technology
Noto Brexit 🤪🤪

Methuselah
Silver Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Methuselah » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:54 pm

I think it is about time this was put to bed.If you want your kids to go to the match and you want to pay by cash,you go to the ground during the week and buy them a ticket.You will be able to buy soft drinks,hot drinks and a snack at the kiosks using cash.It,s just the fanzone and the shop on maychdayswhere you will have to use a card.
Having been a shop steward,some times you have to compromise when you find an agreement which though does not give you everything you want comes close to it even if you are not totally sàtisfied.
I think the club has met the supporters demands by agreeing for the kiosks to still accept cash because most people in the stands want a hot drink at half time especially in winter.
It,s not perfect but it shows the directors have listened bý reversing their original decision,so let,s put all this behind us and turn our attention to supporting Barrow AFC in the season to come. :scarf: :scarf:

MisterPleasant
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5251
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by MisterPleasant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Exactly so, Methuselah.
Don't let the old man in.

User avatar
Steeley
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5750
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Steeley » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Methuselah wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:54 pm I think it is about time this was put to bed.If you want your kids to go to the match and you want to pay by cash,you go to the ground during the week and buy them a ticket.You will be able to buy soft drinks,hot drinks and a snack at the kiosks using cash.It,s just the fanzone and the shop on maychdayswhere you will have to use a card.
Having been a shop steward,some times you have to compromise when you find an agreement which though does not give you everything you want comes close to it even if you are not totally sàtisfied.
I think the club has met the supporters demands by agreeing for the kiosks to still accept cash because most people in the stands want a hot drink at half time especially in winter.
It,s not perfect but it shows the directors have listened bý reversing their original decision,so let,s put all this behind us and turn our attention to supporting Barrow AFC in the season to come. :scarf: :scarf:
Not reversed the plan though have they? It's all pretty much in place, all they've done is slow down the truck and shout out of the window acrually you can buy a Bovril if you've got a quid on you.

Feel like I'm banging on now but I just don't think it's right were putting barriers in place stopping kids coming to matches.
Another point being that sadly a lot of parents won't be arsed enough to buy tickets or sort out this stupid card idea.
Bish=God

EABluebird
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by EABluebird » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Moribund wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:20 pm It's discrimination against people who only want to pay by cheque.
I see what you’re doing there! Cheques certainly take me back, banks etc still accept them too!

I think what this debacle has shown is that the board indeed do listen to the fans and I’m sure the next time PH goes on Radio Cumberland he’ll explain the thinking behind it. I think we should accept that cashless is the direction we are moving in ( the can’s been partially kicked down the road for now ) and those of us that prefer to use cash will eventually need to adapt. Football is a business and businesses need maximum efficiency, the queues can get quite bad in the ground so I suspect that’s why they wanted to bring it in.

I myself tend not to bother at all if I have to wait 10/15 minutes in a line. Club has probably missed out on quite a few of my Pounds Sterling as a result.

Back of the net
Senior Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Back of the net » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48 pm

We're Barrow not some PL club with a 1,000s day trippers. The negative publicity around this will have an impact on those living on a tight financial budget wanting to attend.

MisterPleasant
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5251
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by MisterPleasant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Back of the net wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48 pm We're Barrow not some PL club with a 1,000s day trippers. The negative publicity around this will have an impact on those living on a tight financial budget wanting to attend.
When we're top of the league and sweeping all before us, it'll be forgotten. ;)
Don't let the old man in.

Back of the net
Senior Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Back of the net » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:13 pm

MisterPleasant wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:53 pm
Back of the net wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48 pm We're Barrow not some PL club with a 1,000s day trippers. The negative publicity around this will have an impact on those living on a tight financial budget wanting to attend.
When we're top of the league and sweeping all before us, it'll be forgotten. ;)
Hope we do go top and still show compassion to those less fortunate.

User avatar
Bombadel
Silver Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Bombadel » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:04 am
Bombadel wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:04 am

Owners lost 800k last season, call yourself a fan?
So should I hand them my wages is that what you do, I can promise you I have put more money in the club over the years than you unless you are the owner.
I’m not here to boast about how much I’ve put into the club, and I don’t go around a public forum telling people to just buy a ticket and boycott everything else to hit the owners in the pocket when they’ve lost a huge amount of money. Very poor behaviour, makes you sound like a juvenile.

BoltonBlue
Veteran Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by BoltonBlue » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Steeley wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:04 pm We all know for 95% of folk buying a ticket before match day or with a card on match day is not an issue.

However it will be for the small amount of people who don't have a card or don't use one (kids and some elderly).

When I started going to the soccer at 14ish I'd decide on the days if I had some cash off parents and mates were going to head down, there may have been times I'd planned to go so could have got a pre paid I guess.
It's probably not a financial hit the 50 or so kids we'd alienate with this setup but we'll never know the long impact, those kids could turn into trust members, ST holders, volunteers, staff or even board members.
Yes other teams do it already in the FL but this is Barrow, we should be welcoming all with open arms not saying "this is how it is if you can't get a card with £50 on it you can't come".
100% nailed it. Kids coming from financially struggling families probably wouldn’t know if they could attend until the day of the game, I know that was the case for myself.

Cromwell58
Bronze Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Cromwell58 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:42 pm

Bombadel wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:14 pm
Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:04 am

So should I hand them my wages is that what you do, I can promise you I have put more money in the club over the years than you unless you are the owner.
I’m not here to boast about how much I’ve put into the club, and I don’t go around a public forum telling people to just buy a ticket and boycott everything else to hit the owners in the pocket when they’ve lost a huge amount of money. Very poor behaviour, makes you sound like a juvenile.
Covid cost the club and i think its unjust to block certain members of society out and I do want I want with my money. For me this is on par with the idiot premier teams who thought they could start their own league.

Jon D
Bronze Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Jon D » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:51 pm

BoltonBlue wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:33 pm
Steeley wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:04 pm We all know for 95% of folk buying a ticket before match day or with a card on match day is not an issue.

However it will be for the small amount of people who don't have a card or don't use one (kids and some elderly).

When I started going to the soccer at 14ish I'd decide on the days if I had some cash off parents and mates were going to head down, there may have been times I'd planned to go so could have got a pre paid I guess.
It's probably not a financial hit the 50 or so kids we'd alienate with this setup but we'll never know the long impact, those kids could turn into trust members, ST holders, volunteers, staff or even board members.
Yes other teams do it already in the FL but this is Barrow, we should be welcoming all with open arms not saying "this is how it is if you can't get a card with £50 on it you can't come".
100% nailed it. Kids coming from financially struggling families probably wouldn’t know if they could attend until the day of the game, I know that was the case for myself.
100% correct.

Methuselah
Silver Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by Methuselah » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:38 pm

This is only a suggestion but would it be possible to to give out a few free tickets to allow kids from such families the ability to watch Barrow play and maybe when their situation improves they will become loyal supporters in years to come.It has happened in the past when they were allowed in with each adult buying a ticket.

mickmike wilson
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: Club to go to cashless payments

Post by mickmike wilson » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:40 pm

EABluebird wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:42 pm
Moribund wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:20 pm It's discrimination against people who only want to pay by cheque.

I myself tend not to bother at all if I have to wait 10/15 minutes in a line. Club has probably missed out on quite a few of my Pounds Sterling as a result.
So you decide on attending, Travel to the ground then go home and miss the game if there’s a queue??

Why not just turn up a bit earlier??

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Munt68 and 32 guests