Post
by artxanda » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:58 pm
I don’t often post but I am a main stand season ticket holder who is based in London and am also a teacher of Mathematics. And, for my sins, I am one of the two people who developed this ‘football super-computer’ (the other guy is a computing teacher who runs a football website - I can just about turn a computer on). For those who care, the individual results and resulting league table are worked out using previous home and away results to that point, goals scored and conceded at home and away to that point and a piece of mathematics called the Poisson distribution which predicts outcomes for events that happen at a defined rate (for example, if telephone calls arrive at a switchboard at a rate of 5 calls every minute, what is the probability of there being 7 calls in the next two minutes?)
It tends to get noticed whenever it predicts something people wouldn’t expect (for example, it went all over the papers when I think it was having Brentford to finish above Manchester United in the table).
Anyway, I’ve bored all my classes to tears today and now I’ve probably bored you all to tears as well - I sincerely hope that it is right, as well. Fingers crossed….