The Chairman's Interview

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:22 pm

blue nige wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 9:31 pm Forget BAE, Ian will back me up they're not allowed to invest in anything unless it benefits the community/ good causes believe me I've been asking for years, and then they throw in what about Barrow rugby, Barrow cricket, the golf clubs etc ,I honestly think if they could they'd do something for us ,frustrated of course I am, but unless someone on here is an expert in how corporate law etc governs these things then I think we'd meet a brick wall!
This “Team Barrow” fund is completely different. It’s part of the ten year plan titled Barrow Rising. Many community engagement events have or are to take place in Barrow. It’s £200 million pound of government money. On the board is the CEO of W&F council BAE and a government civil servant Details are in the link below it’s well worth reading
https://barrowrising.uk/our-plan/

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by spirit of 1990 » Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:32 pm

Jonty wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 7:19 pm
spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 7:07 pm

100% this.

I think that interview was saying it just how it is. People go on about the 20 goals a season striker when if there was one available he’d be snapped up by clubs paying far more than we are realistically able to do.

Regarding one of the other options mentioned….forget W&FC, they have too many bike lanes to wast…I mean invest in!

Good honest interview.
Team Barrow is not W&F council. It’s a partnership that includes W&F council. I would rather the club be involved with this than a potential private investment with little connection to Barrow or without some guarantees.
Yeah, so W&FC are involved? Absolutely useless. I won’t go into the reasons why I think that as it’d go on forever.

Totally useless and have no interest in Barrow whatsoever.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by spirit of 1990 » Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:45 pm

blue nige wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 9:31 pm Forget BAE, Ian will back me up they're not allowed to invest in anything unless it benefits the community/ good causes believe me I've been asking for years, and then they throw in what about Barrow rugby, Barrow cricket, the golf clubs etc ,I honestly think if they could they'd do something for us ,frustrated of course I am, but unless someone on here is an expert in how corporate law etc governs these things then I think we'd meet a brick wall!
I will back you up on that Nige. About five years ago I managed to get BAE involved (up to a point). There followed meetings after meetings and then eventually they involved the club. It had to go through some sort of department in BAE & the money wasn’t a “here’s x amount, spend it as you see fit” it had to involve the community side of the club. It took months and months and in the end the club got 1k….£1,000 after all of that. Probably around the cost of an advertising board.

So, two of the groups involved in this “Team Barrow” and “Barrow Rising” are BAE & W&FC. Best of luck on that one.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Jonty » Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:55 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:32 pm
Jonty wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 7:19 pm

Team Barrow is not W&F council. It’s a partnership that includes W&F council. I would rather the club be involved with this than a potential private investment with little connection to Barrow or without some guarantees.
Yeah, so W&FC are involved? Absolutely useless. I won’t go into the reasons why I think that as it’d go on forever.

Totally useless and have no interest in Barrow whatsoever.
Ian, this is ring fenced funding that has never been available previously. There is a strategic 10 year plan set out, (see links in Main Stand Ticket Holder’s post above). The 50 odd page plan has included images clearly from within the club. That tells me that the club has at least been involved in some aspect and has sight of what’s going on.
Listening to the Chairman, we need to increase revenue opportunities and margins for the club or else we will struggle to compete at this level. Then he mentions a redeveloped Popular side. Where else would the funding come from to have a completely new stand built?
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:03 am

Jonty wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:55 pm
spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:32 pm

Yeah, so W&FC are involved? Absolutely useless. I won’t go into the reasons why I think that as it’d go on forever.

Totally useless and have no interest in Barrow whatsoever.
Ian, this is ring fenced funding that has never been available previously. There is a strategic 10 year plan set out, (see links in Main Stand Ticket Holder’s post above). The 50 odd page plan has included images clearly from within the club. That tells me that the club has at least been involved in some aspect and has sight of what’s going on.
Listening to the Chairman, we need to increase revenue opportunities and margins for the club or else we will struggle to compete at this level. Then he mentions a redeveloped Popular side. Where else would the funding come from to have a completely new stand built?
Well said Jonty. There is definitely a lack of understanding from some on here about this funding but as you say they have used a picture of Wyl Stanway at Holker st in the promotional brochure hopefully the board are all over this and have already held discussions

Methuselah
Silver Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Methuselah » Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:20 am

I for one would like to say thank.you to Paul.Hornby for his honest and up front statement as to where we are financially as a club.I thought the plans he mentioned going forward are very exciting and would generate a lot of income .
I also think because of the inflated wage demands of agents and players a lot of clubs could become bankrupt which woulld leave clubs like ours in a stronger financial position.
The circus that is now taking place can only lead to one thing in its current state namely the death knell for a lot of clubs in divisions one and two.Until agents and players wake up to the reality of the current financial situation of a lot of clubs many of them are going to end up with nowhere to go because the bubble will have burst.

Pedro
Platinum Member
Posts: 3489
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Pedro » Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:38 am

Eventually we will come to a crunch point.
The Board have done amazing work.
Players are expensive thats why we need a good scouting system .
None of our recent players have been pulled from lower leagues.
The set up as it is reminds me of Galtieri Junta all want to have the titles but nothing comes through.
We had Ogden who found Bennett and Williams.
They did a job and irrespective of what they are doing now
we received fees for them.
It's about value for money and being smart.
The Council have given the Rugby money through sponsorship in the past all be it at a time when one of the Directors sons played for them.
The Council could come up with money they paid for policing at Manhattan night club for extended hours when they had the option to make the owner pa but they chose to burden the rate payer. .
But thanks to Paul Hornby and crew .

Leo
Silver Member
Posts: 1188
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Leo » Fri Aug 15, 2025 6:03 am

Pedro wrote: ↑Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:38 am Eventually we will come to a crunch point.
The Board have done amazing work.
Players are expensive thats why we need a good scouting system .
None of our recent players have been pulled from lower leagues.
The set up as it is reminds me of Galtieri Junta all want to have the titles but nothing comes through.
We had Ogden who found Bennett and Williams.
They did a job and irrespective of what they are doing now
we received fees for them.
It's about value for money and being smart.
The Council have given the Rugby money through sponsorship in the past all be it at a time when one of the Directors sons played for them.
The Council could come up with money they paid for policing at Manhattan night club for extended hours when they had the option to make the owner pa but they chose to burden the rate payer. .
But thanks to Paul Hornby and crew .
None of our recent players are from lower leagues?

Spence? Acquah? Tiensia? Booty? Stanway? Raglan? Fletcher?
Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by spirit of 1990 » Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:23 am

Jonty wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:55 pm
spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:32 pm

Yeah, so W&FC are involved? Absolutely useless. I won’t go into the reasons why I think that as it’d go on forever.

Totally useless and have no interest in Barrow whatsoever.
Ian, this is ring fenced funding that has never been available previously. There is a strategic 10 year plan set out, (see links in Main Stand Ticket Holder’s post above). The 50 odd page plan has included images clearly from within the club. That tells me that the club has at least been involved in some aspect and has sight of what’s going on.
Listening to the Chairman, we need to increase revenue opportunities and margins for the club or else we will struggle to compete at this level. Then he mentions a redeveloped Popular side. Where else would the funding come from to have a completely new stand built?
Hang on, I’m not saying don’t try for any funding that is, or might be available, I’m just telling you a fact about BAE & what happened a few years back. That’s not a made up story, that’s what happened and I’m sure Paul Hornby & Mark Hetherington will back that up. £1000….and that had to be spent on the community side of the club.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:35 am

The link below is to the 52 page document regarding new funding coming to Barrow plus there are many community engagement events taking place accross Furness
https://barrowrising.uk/wp-content/uplo ... Barrow.pdf

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2759
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by mall » Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:53 am

McMark wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 6:23 pm
mall wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 6:12 pm

Well you can forget the council. Even when it was Barrow council, it was underfunded so much that it got to the stage where the town only had one road sweeper. And now its Furness and Westmorland there is absolutely no chance.
He had a fine array of brooms though.
Barrow council had one sweeper man, the townsfolk all said "It's A Farce".
He had a broom in his right hand, a broom in his left hand and another one up his arse !

Main Stand SeasonTct
Platinum Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:59 am

spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:23 am
Jonty wrote: ↑Thu Aug 14, 2025 10:55 pm

Ian, this is ring fenced funding that has never been available previously. There is a strategic 10 year plan set out, (see links in Main Stand Ticket Holder’s post above). The 50 odd page plan has included images clearly from within the club. That tells me that the club has at least been involved in some aspect and has sight of what’s going on.
Listening to the Chairman, we need to increase revenue opportunities and margins for the club or else we will struggle to compete at this level. Then he mentions a redeveloped Popular side. Where else would the funding come from to have a completely new stand built?
Hang on, I’m not saying don’t try for any funding that is, or might be available, I’m just telling you a fact about BAE & what happened a few years back. That’s not a made up story, that’s what happened and I’m sure Paul Hornby & Mark Hetherington will back that up. £1000….and that had to be spent on the community side of the club.
To be fair the BAE they have been consistent with that approach for many years now. They sponsor many events that take place in the community this weekends up coming soap box derby is just one of many. IIRCC they sponsor the rugbys community programme Jets programme that encourages youngsters in the community to take up rugby league.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by spirit of 1990 » Fri Aug 15, 2025 9:52 am

Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:59 am
spirit of 1990 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 15, 2025 8:23 am

Hang on, I’m not saying don’t try for any funding that is, or might be available, I’m just telling you a fact about BAE & what happened a few years back. That’s not a made up story, that’s what happened and I’m sure Paul Hornby & Mark Hetherington will back that up. £1000….and that had to be spent on the community side of the club.
To be fair the BAE they have been consistent with that approach for many years now. They sponsor many events that take place in the community this weekends up coming soap box derby is just one of many. IIRCC they sponsor the rugbys community programme Jets programme that encourages youngsters in the community to take up rugby league.
Again, I’m not denying that. I understand they do sponsor other local events but for one reason or another they have to jump through all sorts of hoops (some through their own stupidity - not at local level!) to get to the position of releasing funds for projects.

As I said earlier, I’m just passing on what I know for fact, which I’m sure blue Nige is going through now.

Anyway, I hope something positive comes of it but personally I can’t see it.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

blumooncrab
Silver Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by blumooncrab » Fri Aug 15, 2025 10:48 am

If the Government really want to grow the town , attract people and improve the quality of life then they should give Barrow a football ground to be proud of . That will help us stay in the league and goodness knows the Town needs/deserves it. Simples. A new stand & facilities will attract more people and help keep existing fans and allow larger away numbers. A virtuous circle. Love Holker St but it’s an early 20 century throwback - we need better to help us progress and I think it’s probably unrealistic to expect this can be done by our owners, who God bless them , will need to spend their money on the team .

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: The Chairman's Interview

Post by blue nige » Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:03 pm

blumooncrab wrote: ↑Fri Aug 15, 2025 10:48 am If the Government really want to grow the town , attract people and improve the quality of life then they should give Barrow a football ground to be proud of . That will help us stay in the league and goodness knows the Town needs/deserves it. Simples. A new stand & facilities will attract more people and help keep existing fans and allow larger away numbers. A virtuous circle. Love Holker St but it’s an early 20 century throwback - we need better to help us progress and I think it’s probably unrealistic to expect this can be done by our owners, who God bless them , will need to spend their money on the team .
And what if Barrow Rugby say they want super league status but they need A,B or C ?
I hope I'm wrong but if you want a stadium upgrade, the bare minimum would be around £20, million to get 2 decent stands / facilities, then you'd have to include things for the wider community, that's the way that these people think ,I'm not having a go but some people on here should realise we represent only a handful of the local population !

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beanmuncher, olefogey and 12 guests